Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Consumer reports tire ratings out

  1. #1
    Jr Member sip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    350
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Consumer reports released the winter and A/S tire rating today. Micheline scored top rating in A/S (Michelin HydroEdge) , Performance A/S (Michelin Primacy MXV4) and Winter (Michelin X-Ice XI 2). Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 H was the top performer in Performance winter.


    Winter tire rating from top to bottom :

    Michelin X-Ice XI 2

    General Altimax Arctic

    Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5

    Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

    Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

    Continental ExtremeWinterContact

    Bridgestone Blizzak WS60

    Pirelli Sottozero 210 Series II

    Dunlop Graspic DS-2

    Hankook Winter I*Pike

    Gislaved Nordfrost 5

    Toyo Observe G-02 Plus

    Yokohama ice Guard iG20

    Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice *

    Firestone Winterforce

    Cooper Weather-master S/T 2

    Hankook icebear W300

    What do you think about cheap General Altimax Arctic rated higher than popular winter tires such as Bridgestone Blizzak WS60.

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    thanks for the info! i was just starting thinking of starting a thread to inquire about the best winter tires atm

  3. #3
    Jr Member kramr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    347
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Yeah, found a place in London, Kal Tire, where I can get a set of Cooper Tires and steel rims, mounted and balanced for $190 each. I just wanted some mid range tires as most of my driving is in the city and I don't usually put a whole lot of K's on my car to begin with. I get a discout at Kal Tire because of work, we get our tires for buses through Kal Tire.

  4. #4
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,471
    Thanks
    192
    Thanked 119 Times in 60 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Consumer Reports is pretty solid, but I dont find them to be right very often. If you look through a lot of things, the general public ratings on their site can be vastly different.

  5. #5
    Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    MajesticBlueNTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,206
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 114 Times in 48 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Quote Originally Posted by sip View Post
    What do you think about cheap General Altimax Arctic rated higher than popular winter tires such as Bridgestone Blizzak WS60.
    the General Altimax Arctic is the exact same tire as the old Gislaved NordFrost 3, right down to the tread pattern and the compound.

    Continental owns both Gislaved and General and is getting rid of their budget "ContiViking" brand in favour of General being their budget brand.

    The NordFrost 3 got its fair share of kudos so I'm not surprised the General rated higher.

    What would make more sense out of the rankings is to know the criteria as to why the tires are ranked as they are.

  6. #6
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    385
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Quote Originally Posted by sip View Post
    What do you think about cheap General Altimax Arctic rated higher than popular winter tires such as Bridgestone Blizzak WS60.
    I'm pretty sure any one of the tires on the list would work just fine for most of us 99% of the time. Maybe a couple are slightly better on ice or some are better in deep snow or whatever, but if any of us drove 5 identical cars back to back with any 5 of those tires I'm pretty sure we'd have a hard time honestly saying one tire is genuinely bad or one makes all the rest look bad.

  7. #7
    Jr Member 5_Alive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Ontario
    Posts
    986
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Meh, to be honest with everyone, my Wanli Winter Challenger tires were great last winter. Very quite as well compared to other sets of snow I used to run. Grip was awesome as well. My only gripe with them is they are a little on the soft side which isn't fun when cornering and braking is slightly worse. But again, for the price, you cannot go wrong any which way you look at it.
    Moe
    From the South- Windsor
    2007 Mazdaspeed3-SOLD
    2009 Infiniti G37xS- SOLD
    2012 MS3 CWP- Current

  8. #8
    Jr Member sip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    350
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Quote Originally Posted by MajesticBlueNTO View Post
    the General Altimax Arctic is the exact same tire as the old Gislaved NordFrost 3, right down to the tread pattern and the compound.

    Continental owns both Gislaved and General and is getting rid of their budget "ContiViking" brand in favour of General being their budget brand.

    The NordFrost 3 got its fair share of kudos so I'm not surprised the General rated higher.

    What would make more sense out of the rankings is to know the criteria as to why the tires are ranked as they are.
    The consumer reports shows the criteria but I don't know how to post the web page.

  9. #9
    Noob
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Quote Originally Posted by sip View Post
    Consumer reports released the winter and A/S tire rating today. Micheline scored top rating in A/S (Michelin HydroEdge) , Performance A/S (Michelin Primacy MXV4) and Winter (Michelin X-Ice XI 2). Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 H was the top performer in Performance winter.


    Winter tire rating from top to bottom :

    Michelin X-Ice XI 2

    General Altimax Arctic

    Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5

    Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

    Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

    Continental ExtremeWinterContact

    Bridgestone Blizzak WS60

    Pirelli Sottozero 210 Series II

    Dunlop Graspic DS-2

    Hankook Winter I*Pike

    Gislaved Nordfrost 5

    Toyo Observe G-02 Plus

    Yokohama ice Guard iG20

    Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice *

    Firestone Winterforce

    Cooper Weather-master S/T 2

    Hankook icebear W300

    What do you think about cheap General Altimax Arctic rated higher than popular winter tires such as Bridgestone Blizzak WS60.
    Michelin X-Ice Xi2 prevailed! Good stuff! (Not that I am in agreement with their methodology in ranking the tires...which is obviously overly simplistic....but, regardless, it's still nice to see my tire come out on top ) .

  10. #10
    Newbie undftd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    I found this place that quoted me the following prices for these tires (includes installation, mount, balance and tax but not the tire tax):
    - Dunlop Graspic DS2 $583
    - Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 $642
    - Michelin Xi2 $723
    Now, I know the Xi2 should have great tread life, I've heard the Blizzaks don't have that great treadlife and don't know about the Graspic, since its only $60 more for the blizzaks compared to the graspic, I have narrowed down my choices to the Xi2 and the Blizzak's, just wondering if its worth the extra $80 to go with the Michelin. The most I'm looking to get out of these tires are about 5 winters (don't think I'll have this car for more than 5 years)

  11. #11
    Jr Member sip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    350
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Quote Originally Posted by undftd View Post
    I found this place that quoted me the following prices for these tires (includes installation, mount, balance and tax but not the tire tax):
    - Dunlop Graspic DS2 $583
    - Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 $642
    - Michelin Xi2 $723
    Now, I know the Xi2 should have great tread life, I've heard the Blizzaks don't have that great treadlife and don't know about the Graspic, since its only $60 more for the blizzaks compared to the graspic, I have narrowed down my choices to the Xi2 and the Blizzak's, just wondering if its worth the extra $80 to go with the Michelin. The most I'm looking to get out of these tires are about 5 winters (don't think I'll have this car for more than 5 years)
    What is your rim size? Check with the sponsors such as tires23.com.

  12. #12
    Newbie undftd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    ^ I've checked out their prices, these are much cheaper, I'm just deciding between which tire to go with...

  13. #13
    Noob
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Quote Originally Posted by MajesticBlueNTO View Post
    the General Altimax Arctic is the exact same tire as the old Gislaved NordFrost 3, right down to the tread pattern and the compound.

    Continental owns both Gislaved and General and is getting rid of their budget "ContiViking" brand in favour of General being their budget brand.

    The NordFrost 3 got its fair share of kudos so I'm not surprised the General rated higher.

    What would make more sense out of the rankings is to know the criteria as to why the tires are ranked as they are.
    Is that mean Gislaved Nordfrost 5 is not as good as NordFrost 3, where they put more focus on General Altimax

  14. #14
    Newbie dhlwtu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the big smoke
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Quote Originally Posted by midnightfxgt View Post
    Consumer Reports is pretty solid, but I dont find them to be right very often. If you look through a lot of things, the general public ratings on their site can be vastly different.
    I agree 100% John! I don't by the hype of CR or other big companies too often. Don't get me wrong they can be pretty informative....... but I prefer to hear from everyday people who use these tires day in and day out. I find user opinions much more informative! Check out these 2 sites and look at user reviews. You can go nuts if you listen to everyone's opinion. You'll change your mind 50 times and you still won't know what to buy. I personally use Blizzaks on both my vehicles (Minivan and Mazda3) and absolutely LOVE them. My brother also uses them on his 2008 TL and swears by them too!

    Do your research and bite the bullet.

    http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp
    http://www.1010tires.com/
    Last edited by dhlwtu; 09-10-2010 at 11:27 AM.

  15. #15
    Jr Member zoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    641
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Quote Originally Posted by mazdadealers View Post
    Is that mean Gislaved Nordfrost 5 is not as good as NordFrost 3, where they put more focus on General Altimax
    would like to know the answer to this as well

  16. #16
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    390
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    I think these reviews are kind of useless for us Canadians. They really should review Goodyear Nordic, formerly branded as just Nordic or Motomaster. I'm sure they outsell any other model by a huge margin. I had the Icetrack model on my old Corolla and they were quite good...
    2010 Mazda3 Graphite Mica GS Auto with Comfort Package

  17. #17
    Newbie Egor...ka's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thornhill
    Ride
    2013 335i xDrive M sport
    Posts
    213
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Pirelli Sottozero 240 Series II Not cheap but the best so far..........

  18. #18
    Moderator mEtH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,884
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    W300 seems to be falling down that list, I guess because of all the new tires coming out they cannot withhold. I love my W300 and would buy again thats for sure, great winter tire for the conditions that I am use to driving on.

  19. #19
    Member doughboyr6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,734
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Quote Originally Posted by mEtH View Post
    W300 seems to be falling down that list, I guess because of all the new tires coming out they cannot withhold. I love my W300 and would buy again thats for sure, great winter tire for the conditions that I am use to driving on.
    i was thinking the same thing...but it seems like the ipike is the new better improve Hankook winter tire.

    -----------------
    THEN 2005 Mazda3 GT/GFX - 5MT - Stubby - Work XD-9 - Sumitomo HTR Z III - Rays Lug Nuts - Eibach Prokit - TWM STS - RX8 Knob - Leather Shift Boot - Borla Cat Back - 35% Tints - Progress Rear Sway - Philips D2S 4300K - Vibrant Strut Bar - BuddyClub Condenser - SPC Camber Kit - Fujita F5 CAI - StreetUnit Motor Mount - Mazdaspeed Clutch - Rotora Slotted Rotors - Hawk HPS - Indy Fog Mod - Koni Yellow - PSI Tuned - Straight Pipe
    NOW 2013 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD Black Mica

  20. #20
    Sr Member Zoom Zoom Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,082
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 13 Times in 6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Quote Originally Posted by mEtH View Post
    W300 seems to be falling down that list, I guess because of all the new tires coming out they cannot withhold. I love my W300 and would buy again thats for sure, great winter tire for the conditions that I am use to driving on.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyr6 View Post
    i was thinking the same thing...but it seems like the ipike is the new better improve Hankook winter tire.
    The W300 is a performance rated and oriented winter tire. It really isn't designed for the same applications and deep snow and ice like the iPike, Blizzaks, Ghislaveds and some other winter tires. It is simply too hard in compound for that and the tread pattern is also not really geared for it. It is a perfect winter tire for cars with a fair bit of power that don't want to melt their winter tires on the dry road days in winter while also allowing those same cars less road noise and a much more precise steering feel that is closer to an all-season tire than a winter tire. The trade-off is total actual traction in snow and ice.

    I've run the W300's on my MS3 for 2 seasons now and love them for what they are. However, I have the iPike409's on the wife's GT Hatch and the grip levels in snow and ice between these two tires is nowhere close. The W300 is capable enough, but if your prime focus is winter grip in snow and ice, there are many better tires to choose. If your prime focus is on dry handling, tread life and having a capable winter tire that is better than an all-season, but still rides close to one, than the W300 is a good choice.
    - Courtesy of Unoriginalusername
    "Friends don't let friends, apex early."- unknown
    2008.5 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3
    2005 Titanium Grey, 5spd, GT Sport Hatch

  21. #21
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    437
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom Zoom Boy View Post
    The W300 is a performance rated and oriented winter tire. It really isn't designed for the same applications and deep snow and ice like the iPike, Blizzaks, Ghislaveds and some other winter tires. It is simply too hard in compound for that and the tread pattern is also not really geared for it. It is a perfect winter tire for cars with a fair bit of power that don't want to melt their winter tires on the dry road days in winter while also allowing those same cars less road noise and a much more precise steering feel that is closer to an all-season tire than a winter tire. The trade-off is total actual traction in snow and ice.

    I've run the W300's on my MS3 for 2 seasons now and love them for what they are. However, I have the iPike409's on the wife's GT Hatch and the grip levels in snow and ice between these two tires is nowhere close. The W300 is capable enough, but if your prime focus is winter grip in snow and ice, there are many better tires to choose. If your prime focus is on dry handling, tread life and having a capable winter tire that is better than an all-season, but still rides close to one, than the W300 is a good choice.
    Excellent summary. Going with a more serious ice/snow tire like Xi2, Blizzaks or iPike would yield better results than a performance winter tire like the W300. Knowing that, I have the W300 really enjoy how they ride. They have great road feel and light snow feels like dry pavement. Anything more than that and you have to be careful.

  22. #22
    Newbie raghtal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    YYZ
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Anyone know if the Conti brands listed here are comparable or identical to the Semperit SpeedGrips? I got a set of those for the TL last winter and they were amazing. I had always used Hankooks on the Pro and had good experience with them, but I'd like to give the Semperit's a go on the 3SGT.

  23. #23
    Armchair Detailer Jackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Posts
    6,293
    Thanks
    442
    Thanked 281 Times in 211 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    Already have my X-ice Xi2 tires. Glad about my purchase based on the ratings. They should last a while. Wonder if we will get more snow this winter.

  24. #24
    Noob arcs3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    I love my Winter General Tires! Best bang for the buck!
    New to zoom zoom!

  25. #25
    Member Hives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,760
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Consumer reports tire ratings out

    All those of those tires are too expensive. My cheap Viking winter tires perform well (for the last 2 years). I can drive at 100 during winter without any problem on the 401. Can't go wrong
    Too Many Mods To List

Similar Threads

  1. A-Z of TIRE INFORMATION
    By 3GFX in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
  2. What Tires did your Mazda 3 come with?
    By EvilEric in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-18-2008, 09:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •