PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Locking

Xenon
07-20-2005, 11:19 AM
On some cars (Ford, BMW, GM Brands etc), the dealer can program the car to lock the doors after a certain time or speed has elasped when driving. Also some have the ability to lock the doors after the car has remined unlocked after a certain amount of time.

Anyone know if Mazda can do this? I generally like driving with the doors locked. and it would be nice if my 3 took care of that for me. Also if I get out of my car and forget to lock it, if it could lock itself after say 5 minutes... that would be nice too.

al01
07-20-2005, 10:56 PM
its just a button... :p just press it!!!!

Candyman
07-20-2005, 10:58 PM
That was one of my pet peeves too. I know the door automatically locks after you unlock it but don\'t open the door. Maybe there\'s some way to re-program that function?

Zaku_4
07-20-2005, 11:14 PM
for bmw, its speed sensitive and not dependant on timeeee

and yes that would be a cool feature =)

Jeff-TheBiz
07-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Most alarms have a passive arming feature that could lock the doors when you walk away. but I dont think it will do it while you drive.

FLIPDADY
07-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Hey Jeff did you ever find out what \"slam locks\" were?

bubba1983
07-22-2005, 05:05 AM
ahh slam locks, those are a nifty invention i must say....

Whos ur dadd
07-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Hey Jeff did you ever find out what \"slam locks\" were?

Is that a question? If so, I believe I know the answer:

Slam locks allow you to press the door lock button while the door is open. Then you slam the door shut and it is locked. Some cars, like our Miata, require you to hold up the door handle while closing (to prevent you from inadvertently locking yourself out by closing the door I guess). If you simply lock the door and slam it shut, the door still remains unlocked. For the Miata, there is a mod you can do to the locks to allow you to slam the door shut. Like this. (http://www.miata.net/garage/doorlock.html)

SoopaBanana
07-26-2005, 03:30 PM
The automatic locking can be done with a CompuStar module.. With the module, the doors lock when you start your engine and step on brake pedal.

Candyman
07-26-2005, 11:40 PM
How much would this module cost?

Shat2
07-27-2005, 12:40 AM
is it just me or is it when u unlock the car but don\'t go in the car within a time limit, it auto locks itself back up?

bluntman
07-27-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Shat2

is it just me or is it when u unlock the car but don\'t go in the car within a time limit, it auto locks itself back up?

I\'ve noticed that too.

What I really like is when you press the arm button when a door is open, the alarm will flash (and I believe the horn will honk once) once the door is closed. This is really convenient when your hands are full and you don\'t have to fumble around for your keys. This might be old news but this is my first car with a factory alarm and the aftermarket alarms in my previous cars would never do this, they would just warn you that a door is open.

Shat2
07-28-2005, 04:02 AM
yea thats a pretty nifty feature :)

Noisy Crow
02-17-2008, 07:06 PM
For those who are still looking for solutions...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04-05-06-07-Mazda3-Speed-Door-Lock-system-Mazda-3_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33721QQihZ010QQitemZ2 00155292916QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=460/prd460.htm

I'm going to install one or the other... the eBay one comes withe specific instructions for the Mazda3.... and is half the price.

Skarbro
02-17-2008, 07:15 PM
For those who are still looking for solutions...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04-05-06-07-Mazda3-Speed-Door-Lock-system-Mazda-3_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33721QQihZ010QQitemZ2 00155292916QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=460/prd460.htm

I'm going to install one or the other... the eBay one comes withe specific instructions for the Mazda3.... and is half the price.

Hmmm.. that thing also unlocks the doors automatically when the ignition is turned off. I don't think I would like that...

Noisy Crow
02-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Hmmm.. that thing also unlocks the doors automatically when the ignition is turned off. I don't think I would like that...

Yeh, I saw that too. I am sure it is looking at one of the power feeds that is switched on/off with the ignition... so it would be easy enough to either not connect or to connect to a constant source.

Noisy Crow
02-17-2008, 10:32 PM
I ordered the eBay one, I post how things go when it arrives...

RX9
02-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Most alarms have a passive arming feature that could lock the doors when you walk away. but I dont think it will do it while you drive.

compustar has passive lock and drive lock. i used the drive lock only, will never touch the passive lock again ( i have been lock out at the first day of alarm installed)
drive lock: the door will lock up when i release the break usually when change "R" to "1", or engin revs different than idel after two different times, <--from "1" change to "2". unlock: e-break up.
passive lock: door lock and armed after 10 second closed, no mater engin is on or off, key in or key out.

i found out the autostart function is funny too, first alarm disarm then stat the car then rearmed (whole action takes about 5 sec). but new user needs a little time to use to the reservation mode. this function is very useful IMO.