PDA

View Full Version : Liquid wd40 as wax

SourcE
07-22-2005, 11:45 AM
A buddy of mine told me that using liquid wd40 gives an amazing shine to bodywork.

Anyone here heard of that? Is it true or was he yanking my chain?

SABIO
07-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Does WD40 come in a paste? ;)

I heard about wiping down your engine bay to give it that nice gloss finish... but bodywork, hmmm...

SourcE
07-22-2005, 12:17 PM
See here (http://www.impactsites2000.com/autozone/washpro.htm) for a nice guide to spotless body car. Anyone here used a clay bar before? Looks interesting....don\'t know about my original question with wd40 though....:sarc

TheProfessor
07-22-2005, 01:17 PM
I don\'t know how comfortable I\'d be using WD40 on the paint. I used to use it all the time to clean my stainless exhaust, but never on the body.

As for the clay bar, many members have used one and it really does work. Will remove all of the tiny particles embedded in the paint leaving you with a super smooth surface. It can also remove surface oxidation / rail dust which is quite evident on lighter coloured cars.

Ex-Rolla
07-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by SourcE

A buddy of mine told me that using liquid wd40 gives an amazing shine to bodywork.

Anyone here heard of that? Is it true or was he yanking my chain?

I haven\'t heard of that before, but WD40, to my knowledge, is pretty corrosive, so as PSIVIC said, I would not trust using that on my car...

btw.. you\'d probably faint before you finish the car due to the smell :)

ahhh
07-27-2005, 02:46 AM
dont think WD-40 is corrosive. how can it be corrosive if it un-does corroded nuts/bolts?

wouldn\'t want it on the body though...dust and other crap stick to it.

iconicrocket
07-27-2005, 09:44 AM
I just use Nufinish on my car the other day, works well. Doesn\'t really make it any shinier, just feels alot smoother with the stuff on. Nufinish smells like its petroleum base and you can feel the waxy polymer after you wash you hands.

I wouldn\'t go on a limb and try different stuff, stick with whats tried and true. A new coat of paint is going to cost you alot more than a $10 bottle of wax.

midnightfxgt
07-27-2005, 08:29 PM
Punch your friend.... LOL

There is a reason WD40 isnt marketed as wax, and there is a reason stuff is marketed and used as wax.

-John

Ex-Rolla
07-27-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by ahhh

dont think WD-40 is corrosive. how can it be corrosive if it un-does corroded nuts/bolts?

wouldn\'t want it on the body though...dust and other crap stick to it.

I actually never thought of that!

SourcE
07-27-2005, 11:01 PM
midnightfxgt

Punching will commence.....:sarc

SourcE
07-27-2005, 11:02 PM
ok, i don\'t quite have the hang of this \"quoting\' business......:D

midnightfxgt
07-28-2005, 08:52 AM

midnightfxgt

Punching will commence.....:sarc

No no, not punching me.... the friend.... crazy quoters!

Hanif
11-11-2005, 12:57 PM

See here (http://www.impactsites2000.com/autozone/washpro.htm) for a nice guide to spotless body car.

Thanks for the link source, it was really informative. I might give it a try in the spring time if the weather doesn\'t get any warmer.

gigileung
12-01-2005, 01:48 PM
WD-40 and Nu-Finish are abrasive to any finish because they contain too high an amount of petroleum components. Better off getting something like Mother\'s Cleaner Wax, its about the same price as Nu-Finish at CT. Or better yet try Zymol Cleaner Wax, I think it\'s all natural using ingredients such a cocunut oil, etc, and smells like a fruit blended shake instead of gasoline.

Cardinal Fang
12-01-2005, 04:15 PM
I\'ve seen WD-40 used to clean some pretty stubborn stains and marks on glass. I did a search via google and found this:

http://www.twbc.org/wd40.htm

Please note the warning at the top of the page.

everfeb
12-08-2005, 10:48 PM
A while back I bot a spray can of wd40. I knew the clerk who checked me through and somehow we ended up talking about my very sore knees. She then told me that her Grandfather sprayed himself with wd40 to get rid of his aches and pains. Of course I asked how old he now was (is he still alive or did the wd40 kill him). He\'s 85 and still going strong. I forgot to ask how his brain was functioning. OK then, spraying yourself with wd40 won\'t kill you right away. I\'m desperate. Nothing gets rid of my knee pain. So yes, I do spray some wd40 on my knees. Almost instant relief for quite a while. A week later I do it again...instant relief. Then I start thinking..what the hell\'s in this stuff...will it affect my brain? So I quit spraying my knees.
I don\'t think it hurt my brain...doesn\'t seem to have...but I am wasting my time and yours to tell you there may now be 1001 uses for wd40...so maybe it did:p No I\'m not drunk or high.
everfeb

Hanif
12-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by everfeb

A while back I bot a spray can of wd40. I knew the clerk who checked me through and somehow we ended up talking about my very sore knees. She then told me that her Grandfather sprayed himself with wd40 to get rid of his aches and pains. Of course I asked how old he now was (is he still alive or did the wd40 kill him). He\'s 85 and still going strong. I forgot to ask how his brain was functioning. OK then, spraying yourself with wd40 won\'t kill you right away. I\'m desperate. Nothing gets rid of my knee pain. So yes, I do spray some wd40 on my knees. Almost instant relief for quite a while. A week later I do it again...instant relief. Then I start thinking..what the hell\'s in this stuff...will it affect my brain? So I quit spraying my knees.
I don\'t think it hurt my brain...doesn\'t seem to have...but I am wasting my time and yours to tell you there may now be 1001 uses for wd40...so maybe it did:p No I\'m not drunk or high.
everfeb

Maybe you should host an infomercial with your \"new\" product for sore joints (\"new\" as in WD-40 with another label on it).....i\'m sure it would sell....cuz if there is an infomercial about a metal bracelet that magically gets rid of the pain by wearing it....i think the name was ionic or something like that.......i\'m sure there would be enuf people who would buy your \"new\" product :p

...and for those who actually have that metal bracelet, no offense.... :)

everfeb
12-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Naw, I don\'t want to make a million dollars. But, maybe if we can get 20 or so members of TM3CLUB to volunteer to spray themselves with wd40 once a week for one year and if after a year everyone in the study is still alive...then the TM3CLUB might be interested in using the relabelled product as a fund raiser? :p I\'d buy a few cans if it can be clinically proven it doesn\'t kill people or make them go crazy:p
everfeb

Hanif
12-09-2005, 06:02 PM

Naw, I don\'t want to make a million dollars. But, maybe if we can get 20 or so members of TM3CLUB to volunteer to spray themselves with wd40 once a week for one year and if after a year everyone in the study is still alive...then the TM3CLUB might be interested in using the relabelled product as a fund raiser? :p I\'d buy a few cans if it can be clinically proven it doesn\'t kill people or make them go crazy:p
everfeb

Would you be willing to be one of those volunteers in that study?? :D

everfeb
12-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Hanif

everfeb

Would you be willing to be one of those volunteers in that study?? :D

:p my quote above I say \"spray themselves\" not ourselves so No, even though I would like to I can\'t volunteer for the study because it would have to conducted under the strictest of guidlines and conditions and as I live 1200 miles (2000km ONE WAY) I just can\'t drive 4000km 52 times to be sprayed by wd40 which ultimately could kill me even if I survived driving 208,000km to participate in the study. Truly hope you understand:p But hey. I AM the original SPRAYEE..had it done twice and still here to babble on aimlessly about it. So I\'ve done my part.
everfeb

MajesticBlueNTO
12-11-2005, 10:48 AM

everfeb

almost sounds like the father in My Big Fat Greek Wedding using windex for everything...

and the West Indians using Robitussin for everything :hoho

billyfo
12-11-2005, 11:34 AM
+1, same as my boss believe someone told her about Crazy Glue can glue paper.:D :D

Hanif
12-12-2005, 12:19 AM

:p my quote above I say \"spray themselves\" not ourselves so No, even though I would like to I can\'t volunteer for the study because it would have to conducted under the strictest of guidlines and conditions and as I live 1200 miles (2000km ONE WAY) I just can\'t drive 4000km 52 times to be sprayed by wd40 which ultimately could kill me even if I survived driving 208,000km to participate in the study. Truly hope you understand:p But hey. I AM the original SPRAYEE..had it done twice and still here to babble on aimlessly about it. So I\'ve done my part.
everfeb

ok ok....your off the hook.....so where do you live anyway.......2000km is a looooooooong way outta T.O.

Hanif
12-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by billyfo

+1, same as my boss believe someone told her about Crazy Glue can glue paper.:D :D

isn\'t crazy glue suppose to glue almost anything.......including paper of course??

billyfo
12-15-2005, 05:57 PM
as you said, ALMOST, but not paper though:p