PDA

View Full Version : Oil additives

JohnnyBoy
07-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Anyone use Lucas Oil products? They sell oil stabilizer for the engine, manual transmission, and differential. They also sell a semi-synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid product.

If not, what do you recommend using for harder than average driving?

Will the dealerships allow us to use these additives without playing warranty games?

Ex-Rolla
07-27-2005, 10:09 PM
I think the most important thing is the oil you use. If you drive hard maybe Synthetic oild would be your choice. I would stay away from additives... there have been so many different things said about them that I just don\'t bother with them.

JohnnyBoy
07-27-2005, 11:52 PM
You\'re probably right. But synthetic oils don\'t climb on gears well (if at all) and settle down quickly. What should I use?

MajesticBlueNTO
07-28-2005, 01:35 AM
you DON\'T want to use Lucas oil additive in your engine...here\'s why (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm)

in fact, you shouldn\'t have to use any type of oil additives if you change your oil regularly.

harder than average driving, invest in synthetic for tranny and engine (Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1, etc)

JohnnyBoy
08-01-2005, 01:40 AM
Thanks man, synthetic it is. What brand is your favorite? or are all synthetics about equal.......

MajesticBlueNTO
08-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyBoy

Thanks man, synthetic it is. What brand is your favorite? or are all synthetics about equal.......

there are synthetics that are not \"true\" synthetics (made from crude oil basestock, such as Castrol Syntec-except the German 0w30) and there are those that are \"true\" synthetics (amsoil, redline, mobil 1, royal purple, for instance).

in the 5w20/0w20 weight, i use Mobil 1, because it is widely available at CanTire and Blackstone Labs test results have shown it to be a rather good oil. however, whichever of the \"true\" synthetics that you choose, you won\'t be disappointed.

JohnnyBoy
08-02-2005, 01:04 AM
I have 1200 KM\'s on my car, when do you recommend switching to Mobil1? Will I get better milage at a 5000-10000 KM breakin? 20000 KM\'s maybe? Or should I do it sooner to preserve engine compression....I like driving a tight engine, more zip.

I get around 520 Km/50L fillup (for normal city/spirited Hwy driving). Will my milage improve if I wait longer?

Sorry for being a windbag. This is my first new car and the only one I got excited over. I want to enjoy using this car though, not granny it (impossible to do :D ) Minimizing engine/tranny wear and fuel consumption are my main concerns.

Fuman
08-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by JohnnyBoy

I have 1200 KM\'s on my car, when do you recommend switching to Mobil1? Will I get better milage at a 5000-10000 KM breakin? 20000 KM\'s maybe? Or should I do it sooner to preserve engine compression....I like driving a tight engine, more zip.

I get around 520 Km/50L fillup (for normal city/spirited Hwy driving). Will my milage improve if I wait longer?

Sorry for being a windbag. This is my first new car and the only one I got excited over. I want to enjoy using this car though, not granny it (impossible to do :D ) Minimizing engine/tranny wear and fuel consumption are my main concerns.

STAY ON DINO OIL until your pass your 7000-8000KM mark.

JohnnyBoy
08-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Thanks Fuman, I will. What synth oil do you use for your transmision and differential?

You know a dealership that would do it for me without \"warning me\" about the warranty...

Fuman
08-03-2005, 01:13 PM
u can pm flipspeed, hes the service mgr at mazda of toronto (a mod on this board).
i forgot what he said about syntheic oil.

I use dino juice, I dun drive a 3, lol. wtom probably laughing his ass off since I was suppose to order one back in june. I should be putting down an order next week along with my friend whos leasing a 6.

usally people use moblie 1 , make sure the viscosity matches ur owner\'s manual. If I recall correctly, ppl use 0-20w of moblie syn. for transmission, there are ppl on the msprotege board that uses redline. I can\'t tell u from experience, cause I got none.
motul is good too, got a few prelude friends using it.
my friend who uses motul services his car at gilmens. he uses motul for 15,000km with an oil filter change inbetween.

do a search here or/and msprotege.com.

I forgot who posted a link, but they did a review on how to break in an engine. Thats why I said dun use syn until ur past the 7-8K mark, something about proper sealing.

edit: ppl from toronto section of mazda6club.com are using redline as well
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=37249

JohnnyBoy
08-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Thanks Fuman....To find out more, I went to Gyro Mazda where I bought my car. I asked the service manager about when to switch to Synthetic on my Mazda3 sedan. He said do it when you schedule your 8000KM visit. They\'ll use your choice of Penzoil Synthetic or regular Penzoil Dino oil (not motorcraft semi-synth like other dealerships).

He suggested Synthetic was better and made no disclaimer about the risks of using synthetic. I was surprised. He even said you can bring your own oil and filter if you wish, but recommended using their oil filters to ensure compatibility. He told me a customer bought his own oil filter from Zellers and seized his engine due to an improper fit.

I felt that they would back us up in a engine warranty situation...I could be wrong...what do you think guys?

FLIPDADY
08-04-2005, 08:28 AM
I use Castrol Syntec 5W30 in my 3. Recently switched at my 24K service. The engine is quieter at idle and the engine response is better.

Fuman
08-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

I use Castrol Syntec 5W30 in my 3. Recently switched at my 24K service. The engine is quieter at idle and the engine response is better.
I read on carandddriver that castrol syntec, isn\'t 100% syn but does that actually matter?
I can\'t seem to find any info on that.

FLIPDADY
08-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Fuman

I read on carandddriver that castrol syntec, isn\'t 100% syn but does that actually matter?
I\'ve always used and sold Castrol Syntec and never had any issues.

It\'s 100% synthetic.

MajesticBlueNTO
08-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Fuman

read the 6th post in this thread:

Originally posted by MajesticBlueN
there are synthetics that are not \"true\" synthetics (made from crude oil basestock, such as Castrol Syntec-except the German 0w30) and there are those that are \"true\" synthetics (amsoil, redline, mobil 1, royal purple, for instance).

mobil took castrol to court over this. castrol was \"synthesizing\" oil from CRUDE oil basestock. basically they are making synthetic out of dino oil and selling it for the same elevated price as their former true synthetic. more money in their pockets.

mobil thought this was unethical, since they were still synthesizing oil from \"scratch\" and their costs were higher - less profit. that brought a lawsuit against castrol.

based on memory, and my memory is failing with age, the court determined that the term \"synthetic\" doesn\'t necessarily mean that you have to create it from \"scratch\" (for lack of a better sentence to describe the outcome) and that castrol, by synthesizing the oil from crude, was indeed creating a \"synthetic\" oil.

thus, ALL \"synthetic\" Castrol oil made in North America is made from crude/dino juice. the ONLY castrol synthetic oil that is 100% synthetic in the \"truest\" sense is the Made in Germany 0w30. why the made in Germany? because europeans can see through the bullshit. the back of that bottle states that it meets BMW, M-B, VW and Porshce standards (based on each respective manufacturers tests), as well as meeting engine requirements for M-B, VW, Porsche and Volvo. check the stuff made in the USA or Canada and you won\'t see that.

Also, there is a reason why MB, Porsche, the Corvette, etc recommend Mobil1 (aside from being paid by Exxon/Mobil)...they are one of the only *commerically* available \"true\" synthetics.

I\'m not saying Castrol syntec is bad...it is just not a \"true\" synthetic and why pay the premium.

flipspeed, if you are indeed using 5w30, your car is running quieter with the 5w30 because it is more viscous than the 5w20...thus, it is \"muffling\" the sound of the valvetrain.

MajesticBlueNTO
08-04-2005, 12:27 PM
for those that think i\'m anti-castrol, i use the 0w30 Made in Germany stuff in the Integra that we have.... so :p :)

Fuman
08-04-2005, 01:50 PM
oh, I was just wondering if castrol\'s \'syn\' is as good as other tru syn.