PDA

View Full Version : CanTire Steel Wheels

everfeb
08-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Hello again folks.
I am wondering if anyone put the 16\" steel wheels that Canadian Tire offers for the 3 onto their 3? If so were they OK...any problems?
Thanks for any replies. Appreciate any help.
everfeb

midnightfxgt
08-08-2005, 03:18 PM
I used them last year. Nothing wrong with them :)

In fact most steel wheels come from a single manufacturer or two.

-John

CelestSpeed3
08-08-2005, 05:09 PM
I\'m using 15\" steel wheels for my winter tires. I went with 15 because it was about $250 cheaper, and during the winter every car looks ugly. The fit fine and I\'ve had no issues with them.

awhoy
08-08-2005, 11:35 PM
I am also thinking of using 15\" steelies for the winter, will they fit on the Sport GT with its larger rotors/caliper? Thx!

majic
08-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by awhoy

I am also thinking of using 15\" steelies for the winter, will they fit on the Sport GT with its larger rotors/caliper? Thx!

no.. you\'ll need 16s minimum.. :(

Candyman
08-09-2005, 03:30 AM
What if the car is lowered? Will 16\" still do? Or should I stick to 17\"? I have a hard time clearing with my H-Techs now during the summer. I\'m really worried about the winter.

majic
08-09-2005, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Candyman

What if the car is lowered? Will 16\" still do? Or should I stick to 17\"? I have a hard time clearing with my H-Techs now during the summer. I\'m really worried about the winter.

does dropping your ride increase the size of your calipers?
will your overall wheel+tire diameter change?
do you like spending more $ than you have to?
is there something small you need to compensate for with larger wheels?

if you\'ve answered no to the above questions then go with 16s :) :D - if you said yes, call dr. phill :D

whether you get 19s with rubber band tires or 14s with donuts your car will have the same ride height (if you maintain the same wheel+tire diameter) The only thing you\'re concerned with is the caliper clearance. besides, a smaller diameter tire will have a narrower footprint (crossection) and that\'s what you want for winter driving anyway - to carve through the snow like a skate through ice.. HTH

EDIT: here\'s a visual.. and another

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/images/plus.size.jpeg

http://www.falkentire.com/images/tire_basics_plus.gif

whodilly
08-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Make sure you get them to try them on your car first as when I was getting my winters with steelies, some of the steelies did not clear the brake calipers (GT sport). Something you should watch out for!

The smaller the tire the cheaper the rubber, so there\'s no need to go with 17\". It\'ll save you some $$

I\'ve got 16\"

everfeb
08-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by whodilly

Make sure you get them to try them on your car first as when I was getting my winters with steelies, some of the steelies did not clear the brake calipers (GT sport). Something you should watch out for!

I\'ve got 16\"

WHODILLY...are you talking about 16\" steelies from CanTire (\"some...did not clear the brake calipers
(GT sport).\" If so, could it happen that if I get CanTire to order me in a set...2 might fit and 2 might not?

Sorry...should have mentioned in my first post that I have the Sport GT with 17\" wheels and want to put 16\" wheels/tires on for winter.

THANKS for the info guys.

In case anyone is wondering why I don\'t just get Mazda steelies...the Mazda dealers nearest me (both 4 hours one way) in ThunderBay and Winnipeg want $100/wheel (eastern Ont. dealers want around $60) while my local CTC wants $64. So if CTC steelies are OK I can just buy their\'s.

everfeb

majic
08-09-2005, 06:14 PM
nice thing about CT.. you can return them at anytime - almost ;)

get them to test fit the wheels (ALL OF THEM) before you pay..

nifty6
08-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by majic

nice thing about CT.. you can return them at anytime - almost ;)

get them to test fit the wheels (ALL OF THEM) before you pay..

Try a recycler, I did with my previous car, was about half price, one was bent, took it back replaced it no problem. Next time will have them spin it before buying. Give them a coating of rust paint. Will rims from a Protege fit? if so you might have better luck finding them, been around longer, than from a M3

ahhh
08-10-2005, 03:15 AM
make sure the aftermarker wheels from Crappy Tire, or from anywhere else for that matter, are HUB-CENTRED. you\'ll know this by putting one on ( preferably a front wheel ), pushing it flush against the hub and sliding it up and down. if there is no play between the hole in the wheel, and the hub, and all clearances are okay, you\'re good to go.

BUT, in most cases, the CT wheels ( either PALMAR or MACPEK brand ) DO NOT FIT PROPERLY. They may be able to get you the OE spec wheel, which should be okay, but the Univeral fit ones will probably have some play.

you dont want the weight of your car sitting on 20 wheel studs. also, if non- hub-centred wheels are not properly mounted on the hubs, you\'ll probably have have some wheel vibrations.

hope this helps.

P.S. uni-fit steelies did not fit on a Protege5. doubt they\'ll fit on a M3

Candyman
08-10-2005, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Candyman

does dropping your ride increase the size of your calipers?
will your overall wheel+tire diameter change?
do you like spending more $ than you have to?
is there something small you need to compensate for with larger wheels?

if you\'ve answered no to the above questions then go with 16s :) :D - if you said yes, call dr. phill :D

Thanks Majic, I forgot you just have to get bigger rubbers!:p

nifty6
08-12-2005, 11:24 PM
tire size calculator

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

FLIPDADY
08-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Wait till fall I should be getting in some OEM wheels that are already properly set.

everfeb
08-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Wait till fall I should be getting in some OEM wheels that are already properly set.

Thanks Flipspeed...16\" steelies??...will you have Mazda covers??..do you know how much they will be ($$$)??...and would you (your dealership) ship to NW Ontario? Where is your dealership??? I have relatives in Whitby who might be willing to look after the shipping if need be. Thanks.

everfeb

m_a_t_r_i_x
08-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

im interested on this.....pls let us knw the pricing too...TIA

flyboy
09-12-2005, 10:47 AM
I am also interested...let us know pricing when you can.

:)

Broli
09-12-2005, 12:19 PM
me too!!!

:D

TheProfessor
09-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Me three :D

SABIO
09-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Why does everyone want to put steel wheels on?

Does the salt melt the stock rims? I have one winter on my stock rims.... and they are fine.

The cost of 16\" steel wheels plus tires exceeds putting 17\" winters on the stock rims.

awhoy
09-13-2005, 01:11 PM
On my Protege, I used the 16\" stock rims for winter. The rims were OK after the first winter but during the second winter the paint on all 4 rims started to flake off and oxidation or the rims were pretty bad.

bluntman
09-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by SABIO

Does the salt melt the stock rims? I have one winter on my stock rims.... and they are fine.

The cost of 16\" steel wheels plus tires exceeds putting 17\" winters on the stock rims.

Screw it, from the looks of your avatar you already have aftermarket summer rims. Just continue what you are doing and use your stock rims in the winter, just put some good winter tires on them. That\'s what I did.

majic
09-13-2005, 01:49 PM

not everyone is a baller and can shell out $1900 on rims/tires just to sell them 4000km later :sarc

most people downsize to 16\" steelies for performance and cost reasons - narrower tire and no need to swap tires every time seasons change which 1) will cost more 2) can do damage to your rims (if done at a cheap chopshop)

TheProfessor
09-13-2005, 02:10 PM
Even if you go to a good reputable shop they will tell you it\'s not good for your rims to be constantly (i.e. a couple of times a year) swapping tires.

That\'s why there\'s such a huge market for steelies.

SABIO
09-14-2005, 02:45 AM

not everyone is a baller and can shell out $1900 on rims/tires just to sell them 4000km later :sarc

Originally posted by bluntman

Screw it, from the looks of your avatar you already have aftermarket summer rims. Just continue what you are doing and use your stock rims in the winter, just put some good winter tires on them. That\'s what I did.

Ok...Ok... I see you point. I thought people were afraid to use their stock rims in snow....