PDA

View Full Version : Install springs now are later?

MazdaTree
08-30-2005, 12:08 PM
I was wondering if I should install my springs before winter (now) or right after winter?
I have the Tein S-techs

I know its a low drop but I have a friend with a very low lude and he still drives it in winter so I know its possible. I just wanna hear what you guys have to say about it, give me some advice:D
tia:)

Whos ur dadd
08-30-2005, 01:08 PM
There\'s a lotta driving left before the snow starts to fly. If you\'re not worried about clearance, why wait? There aren\'t that many days of super deep snow...

bluntman
08-30-2005, 01:40 PM
He\'s right, you\'re looking at least 4 more months before the white stuff begins to fall. Either way, those springs are going to see the cold weather sooner or later. DO IT NOW!!! LET\'S SEE IT AT THE NEXT MEET!!! ;)

CelestSpeed3
08-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Just do it now, whether they see winter this year or next year will make no difference.

TheProfessor
08-30-2005, 01:50 PM
If it were me I\'d wait.....typically we don\'t get snow until late December but you\'ve seen the weather this year :sarc

chaser
08-30-2005, 03:29 PM
bluntman said my points ;)

billyfo
08-30-2005, 06:22 PM
is it the same poll wtom did last yr?:D

do it now and you won\'t be regreted. I hope I had $$ now, so I can also buy myself a set.:(

wtom
08-31-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by billyfo

is it the same poll wtom did last yr?:D

MazdaTree, Doooooooooooooooooooooooo it!!!!!

FLIPDADY
08-31-2005, 11:29 AM
Yeah do it! You got 2 brand new axles.

So you have nothing to worry about.

3Gz
09-16-2005, 02:29 PM
IF SENSIBLE, YOU\'D WAIT \'TIL SPRING ANYWAYS. AS A WINTER RALLY DRIVER, I KNOW THAT NOT JUST THE GROUND CLEARANCE BUT ALSO THE SOFT SPRINGS WILL GIVE YOU BETTER PERFORMANCE IN THE WINTER. SO WHY RUSH TO GET POORER PERFORMANCE FOR THE SEASON.

SURE THE STIFFER SUSPENSION WILL GIVE YOU SOME PROTECTION TO BOTTOMING, BUT THAT WOULD BE MORE THAN CANCELLED OUT BY THE LOWERING. IN SNOW YOU CAN\'T ALWAYS TELL WHAT YOU\'D BE HITTING.

BUT THAT ALL PRESUMES YOU ARE BEING SENSIBLE

majic
09-16-2005, 02:33 PM
maybe your keyboard is black and have some trouble locating the key..

http://www.powerbook.org/phenix/laboratory/capslock/Images/01.jpg

FLIPDADY
10-17-2005, 09:02 AM
Just installed my S-Techs on Saturday at Speedtech and I must say the car looks mint! So do your springs now Andrew!

bubba1983
10-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Just installed my S-Techs on Saturday at Speedtech and I must say the car looks mint! So do your springs now Andrew!

PICS

FLIPDADY
10-17-2005, 10:16 AM
Pics will be up tomorrow. I went crazy and pulled off the side moldings and slapped on an Axela badge. Still have to put on the sok07 deadpedal.

Kevin@nextmod
10-17-2005, 10:38 AM
I\'m picking up my car today and i\'m seeing if i can bring in my car to skoo and lower it for free with my instructors help. BTW i\'m lowering with H-tech. Prokit dont give me low enough drop and S-tech is too low.

MazdaTree
10-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

I\'m itching to do it I just want to get this clicking axel finished with fist so I don\'t any problems with the dealership.
ps how much does speedtech charge? hows the ride and camber?
LET ME SEE THE PICS!!!!!:D

FLIPDADY
10-17-2005, 01:26 PM
The price for install is $120 cash only of course. My 3 was the first one they dropped so I was a little bit nervous when I dropped it off. Dropped the car off at noon and they called me an hour later to let me know the car was ready. I\'ll post some pics up tomorrow.

If you want to contact them the number is (416)293-6887 ask for Sherman or Andy.

///M
10-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Yeah let\'s see some pics. How\'d you like them so far?

FLIPDADY
10-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by autoexe

Yeah let\'s see some pics. How\'d you like them so far?
They\'re great C, the car looks more aggressive sitting low. You fell the road more of course but that\'s what you\'d expect with a drop that low.

-RJ3-
10-17-2005, 08:30 PM
When I got my car lowered, it was during winter just 3 weeks before spring. Although my drop is 1.4F 1.2R, it hugs like a beast in winter. But again your drop is reasonably low so I think I would wait. unless you want a hard piece of ICE nail your front bumper I\'d wait.

However, I agree with bluntman, if this setup is going to be all season, might as well get them installed while you have new axels, becuause its going to experience winter sooner or later.

BTW, I actually voted for no, theres no in -between :sarc

MazdaTree
11-03-2005, 04:37 PM
who got the bump stops cut?
who left them stock?

FLIPDADY
11-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Mine were not cut.

MazdaTree
11-03-2005, 06:17 PM
whats the point of cutting them?

bubba1983
11-04-2005, 07:51 AM
don\'t cut them...geez, if your gonna do something, do it right, they are there for a reason....just plEASE don\'t cut them

majic
11-04-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by bubba1983

don\'t cut them...geez, if your gonna do something, do it right, they are there for a reason....just plEASE don\'t cut them

proof?? why not enlighten us and tell us what they are for and why not to cut them.. your blanket statement \'do it right\' is useless.. tell us why.. isn\'t this the whole reason for this forum? :sarc

Andrew, djltoronto (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=2828) cut his and he seems to be experienced and know what he\'s talking about.. i would ask more people and search around to see where you\'d make the cuts for best performance/ride quality. Alternatively, just follow the instructions that are provided by TEIN (as sabio and djltoronto say they are avialable)

MazdaTree
11-04-2005, 10:47 AM
I\'ll see what tha auto shop mech does.... cuz the tein instuctions says to cut them...

CelestSpeed3
11-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Mazdatree my garage is waiting for you car so we can put the springs on. If you want we can put them on Sunday.

The reason for cutting the bumpstops is to increase the shock travel. When you lower the car the shock travel is lowered, therebuy cutting the bumpstop allows the stock to have the same travel as stock. Also when the car rides on the bumpstop, the bumpstop acts as a spring, and the combined spring rate of the Tein springs and the bumpstops add up to be very harsh. You handling will also not be very pretictable since once you hit/ride on the bumpstop the cars dynamics are affected. It\'s a lose lose situation, if you lower the car and leave them alone, you will lose shock travel (bad for handling), and will now have a progressive spring (bad for handling, and odd ride comfort). Also with prolonged driving on a lowered car with the bumpstops cut, the bumpstops will eventually crack, and be worthless anyway. I encourage the members who have their cars lowered and have not cut or removed the bumpstops to check and see what condiction they are in.

TheProfessor
11-09-2005, 10:46 AM
If you cut the bumpstops then a few years later decide to \'raise\' your car, will them being cut have an adverse affect on the stock suspension?

CelestSpeed3
11-10-2005, 02:04 AM
I\'m not sure, I would recommend getting news ones though. The only thing I can forsee with running a stock suspension system with cut bump stops is an increase in shock wear. But if you are lowering your car than you will have increased shock wear anyway.