PDA

View Full Version : squeaking noise when i DONT apply the brakes

evelyn
09-13-2005, 12:02 PM
hi,

i just bought a mazda 3 and i find that my car starts to squeak while driving, but stops when i brake. any idea what this is? also, the car is relatively new, so i don\'t get why this should be happening.

wtom
09-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Few questions to help out;

- consistent squeeeeeeeeeeak while car is in motion? or once in a while, ie. going over bumps?
- squeaking stops when 1. brakes are applied OR 2. car has come to a crawl/complete stop?
- squeak coming from front or car, rear of car, or both ends?
- how loud is the squeaking?

:)

evelyn
09-13-2005, 12:40 PM
hi, thanks for your response. squeaking, i think, coming from the drivers side (can\'t tell whether it\'s front or back), and it\'s after i start driving for a bit, constant squeaking, getting progressively louder.

evelyn
09-13-2005, 12:46 PM
hi, one more thing, squeaking only stops when the brakes are applied.

wtom
09-13-2005, 12:52 PM
Sounds like your brakes need some tweaking. That\'s just my opinion though.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/at_000829.htm

If you are not too far from them, give Avante Mazda Service Dept a call. http://www.avantemazda.com

evelyn
09-13-2005, 01:58 PM
it\'s my brakes. you were right. thanks.

wtom
09-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Cool, no probs. :)

How did you determine it was the brakes?

evelyn
09-13-2005, 02:45 PM
a number of ways, called my old mechanic (pre-mazda purchase), called another dealership, and your articles (they described the problem exactly.

the key is that i still have approx 40% padding left, so if i can live with the noise, there is no safety issue, i can hold off replacing them until the next tune-up.

thanks again!

wtom
09-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Relatively new car with only 40% padding left in the brakes? Holy crap ... how new is \"new\"? I\'m thinking less than a month ... but no way \"40% left\"?

If you have some time and can get an appt with a Mazda service dept preferably, get the brakes checked out under warranty. Next to the wheels, the brakes are the most important thing when driving. ;)

evelyn
09-13-2005, 02:53 PM
ok, well here\'s a confession, and i apologise in person. i don\'t have a mazda 3 i have a protege! yes, it\'s true i just came on the site to get advice. i figured the problem would be the same regardless of it being a mazda 3 or a protege:D

wtom
09-13-2005, 03:00 PM
LOL that\'s an interesting confession! In this case TorontoMazda3.com > TOProtege.com :D

j/k

No worries at all, but I\'m sure the same would apply with Mazda dealership if under warranty? Either way tho I\'d recommend taking it in to check the brakes out.

evelyn
09-13-2005, 03:04 PM
yea, it is at the dealership right now, but i was so stunned at the diagnosis of the problem, i found it hard to believe! and of course, it\'s not covered under the warranty. you see i knew what the problem was all along, i just didn\'t want to believe it, or i wanted to confirm it!

wtom
09-13-2005, 03:05 PM
No worries about that. :) Maybe it\'s a sign to trade-in the Protege for a Mazda3! :p

evelyn
09-13-2005, 03:06 PM
actually, i have no affinity for this car at all! i\'m really a VW driver at heart. but i don\'t own a VW, i seriously do have a protege!

wtom
09-13-2005, 04:14 PM
You are starting to scare me :p j/k

Hope things get fixed up so no more of those embarrassing squeals while driving.