PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Volunteer for testing pedals

spiff
09-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Hi Folks,
I\'ve been thinking about starting a business designing and having made various custom pieces for the m3 and other cars. I\'m just at the drawing board stage, but I\'m in Toronto(Markham, actually) and am looking for a volunteer to let me take some measurements for pedals, door sills, strut tower braces, cold air intakes, short shift kits, and any other items that would be made of steel/aluminum/etc.

Would anyone be interested in letting me take some measurements and then at a later date, trying out the parts? You\'d most likely get the parts either at my cost or free in exchange for trying them and giving feedback.

Eventually I\'ll be selling out of Toronto, so anyone looking for these or other items in a local source without paying markups, keep me in mind.

For now I\'m just looking for a volunteer in Markham for less than an hour, as well as any other things you\'re looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Email me at spiffn8r@gmail.com

FLIPDADY
09-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Ooh me me!!

awhoy
09-17-2005, 03:05 PM
I wouldn\'t mind dropping my car off for measurement for a dead pedal. Also I was wondering if you can make a couple good cup holders that can attach to the back of the arm rest for back passengers.

bubba1983
09-17-2005, 03:13 PM
heck, id do the drive in for it...

Ex-Rolla
09-17-2005, 03:23 PM
I\'m in... I live in RH near bayview/hwy7... you can reach me at mp3master@rogers.com :D :D

TheProfessor
09-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Just do us a favor and make a good non-ricey dead pedal first ;)

spiff
09-18-2005, 01:07 PM
If anyone has time this afternoon and can drop by for a few minutes to measure up for a dead pedal, just call me. 416-407-1599. Thx.
Paul.

spiff
09-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Rolla

I\'m in... I live in RH near bayview/hwy7... you can reach me at mp3master@rogers.com :D :D

Thanks Ex-Rolla for meeting me. Nice car! I took some measurements and came up with a quick draft. What do you guys think. It\'d be made of aluminum with black rubber grommets. Let me know your feedback! Updated pics.
http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/i/1127260952_mz3deadpedal.jpg

Ex-Rolla
09-19-2005, 10:28 PM
.. oops ..

SwooshICE
09-19-2005, 10:59 PM
awww link dun worok :(

majic
09-20-2005, 01:14 AM
that\'s b/c it\'s here

http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/i/mz3deadpedal.JPG

spiff.. if u can rename it to LOWERCASE jpg then you can link it here like so

[img ]http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/i/mz3deadpedal.jpg[/img ] without those pesky spaces in the img tag

FLIPDADY
09-20-2005, 08:25 AM
That\'s a nice dead pedal. I\'d buy one for sure.

Ex-Rolla
09-20-2005, 09:46 AM
looks good. I like the idea of protecting the carpet on the edge.

TheProfessor
09-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Any idea if it could be painted? I\'m not a fan of one piece of silver sticking out like a sore thumb down there......if it were black I\'d likely be in.

Jeff-TheBiz
09-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by PSIVIC

Any idea if it could be painted? I\'m not a fan of one piece of silver sticking out like a sore thumb down there......if it were black I\'d likely be in.

Me too... actually just as important: the rubber gromets can\'t be fallin out after 2 days either.

What do you think it would cost to make?

spiff
09-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I\'m making a prototype for test fitting and to see how the grommets I\'ve got will hold up. If they don\'t I\'ll look for a different type that is a bit more durable. I suppose the pedal could be anodizeed black, but stepping on it would eventually scratch it and it would look very bad as it gets worn. A better option is to make a matching set of pedal covers. I\'ve got measurements for the auto brake and gas. Any volunteers to measure up the manual clutch/brake?
It\'ll probably take me a few days to get the prototype done up and then to get specs quoted for mfgr. I should have potential pricing next week which I\'ll post here.

Thanks again.

Btw, how are short shift kits for this car?

whodilly
09-20-2005, 04:02 PM
short shift kits are a pain to make. One of the guys tried and it was too much trouble to bother with.
One thing that might be good are bushing kits to replace the stock rubber ones. Helps with shifter feel.

al01
09-20-2005, 06:09 PM
hey spiff, you wanna make something for my impreza =D

spiff
09-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Imprezza... Are we talking WRX or regular? I\'m always interested and I will eventually post on the wrk forums. PM me off line and let me know what you\'re interested in. Thx.

spiff
09-20-2005, 08:06 PM
Sorry, one other thing I thought of. Instead of putting holes and the grommets, I could just use the aluminum with the patterned cross-hatching such as this:
http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/i/pedal1.jpg

Which one would you guys prefer. I think this lower one might be a bit cheaper to produce....

majic
09-20-2005, 10:04 PM
i already have the sok07 pedal but i think the 2nd one would be better (especially for the winter - no holes for salt/snow to go through)

Ex-Rolla
09-21-2005, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by majic

i already have the sok07 pedal but i think the 2nd one would be better (especially for the winter - no holes for salt/snow to go through)

good point! I never really thought of that, especially considering the dead pedal is there to \"protect\" the carpet.

spiff
09-27-2005, 10:29 PM
First prototype. So what do you think? Ex-Rolla\'s going to try it out and give feedback...
http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/i/proto1.jpg

majic
09-27-2005, 10:47 PM
it\'s a little shiny and \"pickup truck-tough\" built.. but looks nice.. show pix of what it looks like in the car rolla..

Ex-Rolla
09-27-2005, 11:47 PM
Hey Spiff, send me an email as to when you want to meet up. It looks good.

I\'ll take some pics and give you all my thoughts once the pedal is installed.

SwooshICE
09-28-2005, 01:25 AM
yah looks a lil too shiny
i\'d prefer it to be matte :)

TheProfessor
09-28-2005, 08:54 AM
I think it would stand out like a sore thumb in the interior of our 3\'s......even with aftermarket pedals which many people don\'t have/want.

Good attempt though.....let\'s see the fitment!

ds2chan
09-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by spiff

First prototype. So what do you think? Ex-Rolla\'s going to try it out and give feedback...
http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/i/proto1.jpg

I like it.. I don\'t mind having one myself.. a free one would be even sweeter.. :D

Ex-Rolla
11-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Hey guys... Sorry for the delay. Just wanted to let you know that I picked up the pedal a few weeks ago. It fits really well and looks pretty good (heavy duty).

I\'ll post some pics as soon as i can.

Mr Fatty
11-24-2005, 11:01 AM
I think the rubber grommet version looks much better/classier/sportier. The other version looks too Canadian Tire-ish. Like someone said earlier, I think it would belong in a pickup truck rather than a Mazda 3 with that other style!

wtom
11-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Rust protect the thing too ... I had one of the earlier dead pedals from sok07 and it\'s rusting up.

Zaku_4
11-24-2005, 06:53 PM
is that diamond plate?

jebus lol, \"built strong to last long\", add some more \"zoom zoom\" plz =)

fourtrack78
11-25-2005, 09:22 AM
if you need more test to be done. I\'m be Huckleberry. I live in markham.

AXCL
01-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by wtom

Rust protect the thing too ... I had one of the earlier dead pedals from sok07 and it\'s rusting up.

The early sok07\'s were steel/iron, this is aluminum it wont rust so it doesn\'t need any coating. If you like the brushed aluminum look, just take some medium steel wool to it to take the shine out.

Hey Spiff,

Where did you get the trucker / diamond plate? I\'ve wanted that stuff for many projects, but can never find it.

Cheers,
G