PDA

View Full Version : Weak windshield glass

mazdamama
09-29-2005, 09:51 AM
After a small stone chip on my front windshield, a nasty 8 inch crack formed about 10 minutes later. The next day, the crack extended another 6 inches but luckily it is still in the lower passenger side so it has yet to obstruct. I noticed from this forum and in the mazda 3 forum that some people are already on their third windshield and many have noted that small chips that never would have affected their previous cars, resulted in big cracks on the Mazda. Anyone support the weak glass theory?? Does anyone know of a good place to take my car for a replacement windshield in the west end (Etobicoke preferably but will go to Mississauga)? Price is no object but I want it done right and without the paint chips and dash damage I keep reading about. Do the dealers do glass replacement in-house or contract out?

majic
09-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by mazdamama

After a small stone chip on my front windshield, a nasty 8 inch crack formed about 10 minutes later. The next day, the crack extended another 6 inches but luckily it is still in the lower passenger side so it has yet to obstruct. I noticed from this forum and in the mazda 3 forum that some people are already on their third windshield and many have noted that small chips that never would have affected their previous cars, resulted in big cracks on the Mazda. Anyone support the weak glass theory?? Does anyone know of a good place to take my car for a replacement windshield in the west end (Etobicoke preferably but will go to Mississauga)? Price is no object but I want it done right and without the paint chips and dash damage I keep reading about. Do the dealers do glass replacement in-house or contract out?

if price is not an issue take it to the dealer. They probably outsource it but you\'ll get genuine mazda parts and some warranty. Your other bet is to look in yellowpages and search for those mobile windhsield repair shops that come to your house.

in any case, a chip will turn into a crack and then a bigger one due to temperature changes and pressure on the glass.

FLIPDADY
09-29-2005, 12:04 PM
I don\'t know of any dealers that have trained techs to do windshields. That\'s why they have places like Apple or Speedy auto glass. Make sure you get a Mazda windshield.

idreamofmazda
09-29-2005, 12:52 PM
I support your weak glass theory, but my example is based on GM’s product. A guy I work with had one of the side windows explode in his 2005 Chevy Venture, two days ago. He arrived at work, parked his van in the parking lot, 15 minutes later, someone who was in the parking lot at the time, heard the window explode, and no one was around at the time. We went out to investigate, and window had shattered into little pieces, and most of the glass was inside the van. We were thinking there was a drive-by shooting from the 401, but that was a long shot, due to the distance away, and other vehicles could have been blocking the shot.

The cops came, and found no bullets, or any evidence of vandalism, and even checked the security video, and concluded the window had to be defective, or had prior damage.

The guy is waiting for GM to make a decision to pay for the repairs, which he is looking at $500.

I think the glass was warped, and was installed too tight, which was too much pressure, and caused the glass to break.

TheProfessor
09-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Good thing he wasn\'t in the car when it happened!

mazdamama
09-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Has anyone in the west end replaced their windshield yet as I am hoping to get a specific recommendation on either a mazda dealer or auto glass replacement shop that does good work (my baby is only 4 months old and pristine!!) Has anyone been to Westowne for a windshield (my nearest dealer) or Standard Auto Glass (seem reputable)?

nifty6
09-30-2005, 09:20 PM
Westowne will farm it out and charge you more than if you take it to a glass place yourself. Get a quote from each.

MAZDA Kitten
10-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Just to give you a heads up; another person at my work with his 3 had to pay $600 to replace his windshield because of the rain/light sensor. A rock hit his windshield on the 401.

Ive seen rocks fly at my windshield.. got stuck behind a dump truck called the \"ROCK SLINGER\" (literally) on the 407. Very scary experience and I have the stone chips on my hood to prove it :( But *knock on wood* the windshiled held up very well and the rocks were hitting VERY hard. So....

nifty6
10-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

Just to give you a heads up; another person at my work with his 3 had to pay $600 to replace his windshield because of the rain/light sensor. A rock hit his windshield on the 401.

Ive seen rocks fly at my windshield.. got stuck behind a dump truck called the \"ROCK SLINGER\" (literally) on the 407. Very scary experience and I have the stone chips on my hood to prove it :( But *knock on wood* the windshiled held up very well and the rocks were hitting VERY hard. So....

If possible get the trucks plate number and report him to the MTO. These dump truck drivers don\'t give a dam and probably enjoy drop their load behind them.

Pimpin_29y
10-06-2005, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by idreamofmazda

I support your weak glass theory, but my example is based on GM’s product. A guy I work with had one of the side windows explode in his 2005 Chevy Venture, two days ago. He arrived at work, parked his van in the parking lot, 15 minutes later, someone who was in the parking lot at the time, heard the window explode, and no one was around at the time. We went out to investigate, and window had shattered into little pieces, and most of the glass was inside the van. We were thinking there was a drive-by shooting from the 401, but that was a long shot, due to the distance away, and other vehicles could have been blocking the shot.

The cops came, and found no bullets, or any evidence of vandalism, and even checked the security video, and concluded the window had to be defective, or had prior damage.

The guy is waiting for GM to make a decision to pay for the repairs, which he is looking at $500.

I think the glass was warped, and was installed too tight, which was too much pressure, and caused the glass to break.

Would this incident by any chance be at the Minacs building just south of Donmills and Sheppard? Cause a friend of mine works there and the exact incident happened, they also checked the security tapes too see whether anyone was up to mischief.

DeLaY_NoMoRe
10-06-2005, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by idreamofmazda

WOW WOW.....can\'t imagine this kind of incident would ever happened, but for me, I definitely won\'t let the manufactory run away with only the recovery of the defect parts/labour. This could\'ve been a pretty serious matter if it happened during a road trip where someone was sitting right BESIDE that window. At least they will have to offer me free of my next vehicle (my choice of coz:p ) or this may just go into a million-dollar law sue......

oscar
11-06-2005, 10:40 PM
I will have to get the windshield (with rain sensor) replaced asap because it is cracked. I picked up my car just over 4 months ago from Westowne Mazda. Do you have any recommendations about dealers or glass repair facilities? I want to ensure the replacement will be done properly, and my car will not get damaged. I sent a message to \"mazdamama\" to inquire if she got the windshield replaced. Her last posting on this thread was on Sep 30.

Thank you in advance.

Oscar

whodilly
11-09-2005, 04:39 PM
SH-t! Just got a rock chip/ crack on my windshield! WTF!!!

Wasn\'t even driving fast cause of the rain. The a crack has immediately formed ~2\" will I have to replace the whole windshield? sh-t!

ds2chan
11-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by whodilly

SH-t! Just got a rock chip/ crack on my windshield! WTF!!!

Wasn\'t even driving fast cause of the rain. The a crack has immediately formed ~2\" will I have to replace the whole windshield? sh-t!

oh sh#t man.. that sucks.. what happened?? do you really have to replace the whole thing right away?? can you fill the crack with something for now??

and if you do replace the windshield.. do you have to get the rain sensor windshield?? can\'t u just get a regular one??

try here.. $390 for an aftermarket rain sensor windshield installed.. it\'s at Krown in Mississauga..
http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=3769

whodilly
11-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Hey thanks dave!

I don\'t know if I will have to replace the whole windshield. Will check out speedy autoglass et al. and see what the deal is. Hopefully it can be repaired.

Ex-Rolla
11-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by oscar

I will have to get the windshield (with rain sensor) replaced asap because it is cracked. I picked up my car just over 4 months ago from Westowne Mazda. Do you have any recommendations about dealers or glass repair facilities? I want to ensure the replacement will be done properly, and my car will not get damaged. I sent a message to \"mazdamama\" to inquire if she got the windshield replaced. Her last posting on this thread was on Sep 30.

Thank you in advance.

Oscar

Hey Oscar,
I had a small chhip and it started to crack... I stopped by the window repair booth at Canadian tire and the guy fixed it perfectly... can\'t even tell it was cracked. 80$ with lifetime warranty. Apparently they repair cracks up to 10 or 20 inches (can\'t remember which one).

Pass by and see if they can fix it for you. They\'ll tell you on the spot whether or not they can/can\'t

Ex

FLIPDADY
11-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Ex-Rolla
Hey Oscar,
I had a small chhip and it started to crack... I stopped by the window repair booth at Canadian tire and the guy fixed it perfectly... can\'t even tell it was cracked. 80$ with lifetime warranty. Apparently they repair cracks up to 10 or 20 inches (can\'t remember which one).

Pass by and see if they can fix it for you. They\'ll tell you on the spot whether or not they can/can\'t

Ex
Which Canadian Tire did you go to Mark?

Ex-Rolla
11-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

New one @ Bayview & Highway 7. It\'s really nice in there... It\'s Huge

Edit: Here, (http://www.canadiantire.ca/storelocator/store_profile.jsp?ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=140847439 6670271&bmUID=1131637531040&store_num=87) made it easier for you

Ex-Rolla
11-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Rolla

Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

New one @ Bayview & Highway 7. It\'s really nice in there... It\'s Huge

Edit: Here, (http://www.canadiantire.ca/storelocator/store_profile.jsp?ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=140847439 6670271&bmUID=1131637531040&store_num=87) made it easier for you

Edit 2: Links not working...

RICHMOND HILL, ON
SOUTH HILL SHOPPING CENTRE

250 SILVER LINDEN
RICHMOND HILL, ON
L4B4W7

Phone: 905-884-1196
Fax: 905-731-3102
Auto Centre: 905-884-1222

mazdamama
11-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by oscar

Thank you in advance.

Oscar

My windshield crack has remained stable about 14 inches across the passenger side so I am waiting to see what the winter temperatures will do to it. I would be amazed if a crack that long could be fixed as the integrity of the windshield is compromised and less structurally sound. If any of you other unfortunate souls get a replacement, let me know where and how happy you are with it.

whodilly
11-11-2005, 03:05 PM
I just checked Speedy Auto Glass on Lawrence Ave. just west of warden and they are charging $590 +tax to replace the windshield (OE Mazda glass w/rain sensor). Says it takes about 4 hours.

For some reason they said they can\'t fix cracks, only chips? How come those booths at Can tire can fix cracks? I\'m gonna go check can tire later today and see what the verdict is.

BTW my windshield is cracked about 6\" and the crack has passed through the edge of the glass so I think my windshield is shot. F--k!

Bluemazda3-S
03-07-2008, 02:56 AM
Talk about bringing an old thread back to life.. LOL... but Why would you replace your windshield with a mazda one of they are the ones that are cracking so easy? My wife noticed a couple small chips, then the next morning.. BAM... 4 inch hairline crack.. UGH.. she just bought the car last week.. lol

Xerox
03-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Why would you replace your windshield with a mazda one of they are the ones that are cracking so easy? My wife noticed a couple small chips, then the next morning.. BAM... 4 inch hairline crack.. UGH.. she just bought the car last week.. lol

I think people replace it with OEM because it's OEM (it's sometimes nice to get OEM stuff), and due to the rain sensor (maybe not all glass repair shops had compatible windshields available?).
Are aftermarket windshields thicker/stronger?
I think many modern cars use thinner glass to save weight and improve fuel economy. So this may not be just a Mazda 3 problem. (Not to mention roads in GTA at this time of the year are terrible)

Maybe your wife should have got those chips repaired before the crack starting spreading?

Wild Weasel
03-07-2008, 08:26 AM
One reason I know people have gone with OEM windshields is that the area around the rain sensor doesn't have the same screening on it on some of the aftermarket ones. Apparently it looks really ugly from the outside as the sensor and maybe some wiring is plainly visible.

I'm sure someone will chime in and clarify this. That's just how I remember the issue.

Bluemazda3-S
03-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah..the crack goes to the edge of the windshield, not sure it's repairable, but we'll definitely check

Wild Weasel
03-07-2008, 02:14 PM
No cracks are repairable.

Xerox
03-07-2008, 02:31 PM
No cracks are repairable.

^^ Right.

You can however try to stop the crack from going further.
I know BlueMazda said the crack goes to the edge so it can't go any further but you can try to stop it from spreading the other way. But this is if you really don't want to replace the windsield since it's probably better to replace the whole thing at that point.

jdizon
11-12-2009, 08:15 AM
call ur insurance they will fix it for free, chandler auto glass (http://www.autoglassguru.com/providers-Chandler-AZ.html).

mazda lover
11-12-2009, 10:29 AM
call ur insurance they will fix it for free, chandler auto glass (http://www.autoglassguru.com/providers-Chandler-AZ.html).

the link takes us to a U.S. site...we live in Canada...

Bluemazda3-S
11-12-2009, 02:56 PM
lol... yeah really eh?? NOOB!!

ziegs2020
11-12-2009, 04:00 PM
There are other suppliers available who do windows for the oem market. If m3f was up, I'd link to that example. My glass has 2 chips, and if it goes any further before I can patch it, I will not be buying the cheap crap that comes stock.

mazda lover
11-12-2009, 06:00 PM
lol... yeah really eh?? NOOB!!

whos a NOOB...lol

mz514
11-19-2009, 08:54 PM
just had mine replaced...$200 plus taxes without rain sensor (dont really need it)

Bluemazda3-S
11-20-2009, 05:55 PM
This guy is a noob... LOL

Hey... where did you get it done for 200?? So now you only get low and high wipers? No intermittent?? If so, thats gotta suck large!

vartdirector
11-20-2009, 05:59 PM
I have a crack in my windshield too, at the right side (passanger side), i'm thinking in replacing it but after this winter cause i don't want to make other cracks... many little stones flying out there...

My quote was about 1000$ with the sensor... but hopefully my insurance pay the 85% or 80% of it :)

mazdabetty
09-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Look they're using mazda 3's in their commercials now!!! There's a hatch in another one I saw the other night... Coincidence? :chuckle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMVey8CsIRw

hastiej
09-30-2010, 01:35 PM
hmmm My windsheild is scratched all to crap.. front and rear.. from the whiper blades by the looks.. I bought mine used like that... don't know what the F the pervious owner did.. but I've really thought about replacing them... but.. $1000 bucks...

Bluemazda3-S
09-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Hahaha, I NEVER noticed that! Hilarious

Look they're using mazda 3's in their commercials now!!! There's a hatch in another one I saw the other night... Coincidence? :chuckle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMVey8CsIRw