PDA

View Full Version : MP3 USB link to CD changer port

awhoy
10-11-2005, 12:15 AM
Came across this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda3-USB-MP3-link-to-Factory-Stereo-Mazda-3-Axela_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43948QQitemZ80052 05956QQrdZ1) on Ebay.

According to the description:
-Building in USB Host controller chip, support USB flash disk and USB Hard disk
-Building in high quality MP3/WMA decoder
-Widely extend external audio sources, like MP3, PSP, MD, PC etc.
-Easy to install and use. Plug the cable directly into your car stereo changer port
-Control by using your car setreo buttons.
-You can change Next track, Previous track, Fast forward & rewind.

What do you think of this? or if any you have experience with this.

S.F.W.
10-11-2005, 01:00 AM
I have never seen this before...but if it works, it would be great!
Very tempting..

bluntman
10-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Linky no worky :(

Jeff-TheBiz
10-11-2005, 11:23 AM
I saw this too... in fact, the question the seller attached to the bottom is mine..

Ebay USB Flash drive to Mazda3 Radio (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8005524256&sspage name=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3ACA%3A1)

I have already sent my payment.

I will let you know how it goes when it arrives.

S.F.W.
10-11-2005, 11:36 AM
excellent, we have a tester. If it works as stated I am buying one. I have an iriver 40GB player, that woudl work well with this setup.

MazdaTree
10-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by TheBiz

I saw this too... in fact, the question the seller attached to the bottom is mine..

Ebay USB Flash drive to Mazda3 Radio (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8005524256&sspage name=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3ACA%3A1)

I have already sent my payment.

I will let you know how it goes when it arrives.

woohoo Jeff taking one for the team *thumbs up*:D

ds2chan
10-11-2005, 11:02 PM
do u have to rip out the HU in order to install this?? I couldn\'t tell what the guy was doing in those pictures he posted..

Kevin@nextmod
10-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Woot.. if this works I can put in my 250gig external drive:D

Krakilin
10-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Sweet, someone please post pics and a DIY guide thanks :)

Not cheap though, it\'s about $130 USD total, so that\'s about $150 CAD

Kevin@nextmod
10-12-2005, 06:37 PM
We\'ll i guess it\'d still be cheaper then getting the ipod module. Don\'t u think?

Broli
10-13-2005, 11:42 AM
it could be

swales
10-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Pearl_Hatch

We\'ll i guess it\'d still be cheaper then getting the ipod module. Don\'t u think?

Depends on a couple of things like, which module are you talking about?

Kevin@nextmod
10-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by swales

The one that lets me use the control on my steering wheel. And able to see the songs on the display on the OEM screen.

swales
10-14-2005, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by swales

The one that lets me use the control on my steering wheel. And able to see the songs on the display on the OEM screen.

Yep, it\'s cheaper then the ipod module with steering wheel controls and from what I understand, there\'s nothing available yet that will let you see all the ipod info on the oem screen.

cphowitzer
10-14-2005, 10:52 AM
yep, there isnt.

And that store\'s pretty cool offering LED side mirrors for about $90 US. might buy.

Jeff-TheBiz
10-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by cphowitzer

yep, there isnt.

And that store\'s pretty cool offering LED side mirrors for about $90 US. might buy.

????

ds2chan
10-15-2005, 01:53 AM

yep, there isnt.

lol.. wtf are u talking about?? I think u clicked on the wrong window when going to post.. :p

cphowitzer
10-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by ds2chan

yep, there isnt.

lol.. wtf are u talking about?? I think u clicked on the wrong window when going to post.. :p

haha no when you go to the seller\'s store, you can see all other Mazda accessories, and he is offering Side Mirrors for the mazda 03, with lights in them!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda3-6-LED-Side-Mirror-Cover-Mazda6-3-Axela-Atenza_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33649QQitemZ8007 520907QQtcZphoto

Jeff-TheBiz
10-24-2005, 05:55 PM
According to the \'other\' forums, the unit works perfectly. the only thing that doesn\'t work is \"random\" and I think I can do with out that!

Mine should be here in the next couple of days.. I can\'t wait.

I will keep you all up to date.

cebo0650
10-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Do you guys think this would work with an iPod shuffle?

TheBiz, what mp3 player will you be using this with?

Jeff-TheBiz
10-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by cebo0650

Do you guys think this would work with an iPod shuffle?

TheBiz, what mp3 player will you be using this with?

I bought the one that comes with the USB port and the line in..

Don\'t everyone jump to buy it yet. I am having a difficult time getting it to work.

I do have to tell you (for those who havent yet) the dash is so very easy to get into.. 4 screws and my HU is out, my glove box is sitting in my back seat..

I am still trying to get the whole thing to work right.. but I will update this when it is in and working..

S.F.W.
11-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Jeff...any luck in getting this working properly?

paulie
11-08-2005, 07:52 PM
I just got the iPod version, and there are some definite quirks i need to figure out
- changing the track using the wheel or HU makes it go into an endless loop of track changing
- the HU will sometimes randomly power down while the unit is plugged in

I found that if I hit play on the iPod then turn on the HU, wait a few secs, then switch to EX, the unit will work properly (and sounds great to boot). Its just the song scrolling thing that is kind of ticking me off since that was a big selling feature of the unit.

Does anyone know the pin-outs for the EX connector on the HU? maybe the change track is on the wrong connector, i dunno, but i\'m going to take some time and figure it out this weekend.

PS. what\'s the easiest way to get the cable from the HU down into the ashtray?

Jeff-TheBiz
11-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by S.F.W.

Jeff...any luck in getting this working properly?

I am gonna be on Holley\'days for about a week, I plan to work on it then... Still nothing to date..

Kevin@nextmod
11-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Hey Jeff any updates on the module yet? Functional?

majic
11-17-2005, 02:10 PM

Hey Jeff any updates on the module yet? Functional?

cut your vacation short and keep us posted!!! :D

S.F.W.
11-25-2005, 01:15 PM
hey Jeff, did you get it working properly?

Kevin@nextmod
11-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Jeff we miss you AND the updates of the module:D

Jeff-TheBiz
11-25-2005, 01:27 PM
Sorry guys...

It has worked, and it is quite cool.. works exactly as described.. It hasn\'t worked in the past 2 weeks or so but I think it fell out of the back of the HU.

S.F.W.
11-25-2005, 01:29 PM
sweet deal, thanks for the info! Now I need to add this to my budget.

Kevin@nextmod
11-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Then should i go for it? Anyone interested in GB for this?

GlenW
11-25-2005, 02:29 PM
I\'ll second a group buy if we can get one.

S.F.W.
11-25-2005, 02:49 PM
I\'d be in for a GB.

Kevin@nextmod
11-25-2005, 03:07 PM
I think we will get a few that will be interested in this but i know nothing about starting a GB so i think we need someone that will organize this. And do\'nt count on me i don\'t want to screw things up. But i can check the price if you guys want to know. I\'ll email them

ds2chan
11-25-2005, 05:32 PM
I just want to double check, do you need an ipod to use this?? I had the impression that it came with a small hd that it plays off of.. if you can clarify this for me that\'d be awesome.. thanks..

Kevin@nextmod
11-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Its a module that lets you plug in a flash usb drive thats all. You do\'nt need an ipod to use it.

ds2chan
11-25-2005, 05:37 PM
oh, nice.. anybody got a 1gb usb drive I can borrow?? :D

damn, I wish I had the cash for this.. sigh..

Kevin@nextmod
11-26-2005, 08:14 AM
I just recieved an email to this module and they just responded us the same to what happen to mazda kitten. They want us to get a list of how many ppl are interested then he\'ll quote us a price. But i know for sure we will save a bunch on shipping.

bubu416
11-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Jeff, any pics of your installation?

TheProfessor
11-28-2005, 01:55 PM
I might be in on the GB depending on price.

Kevin@nextmod
11-28-2005, 06:04 PM
If some are interested we need someone to start a GB. I\'m currently busy with exams coming up so i do\'nt have much time to chase after stuff. Sry guys. IF anyone have the time to start it then it\'ll be great.

Jeff-TheBiz
11-28-2005, 06:14 PM

If some are interested we need someone to start a GB. I\'m currently busy with exams coming up so i do\'nt have much time to chase after stuff. Sry guys. IF anyone have the time to start it then it\'ll be great.

Little late for me to do it... already paid full price.. :sarc

AXCL
11-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Hey Jeff,

Is there any directory change options on the unit, or is it only next/previous song? With a couple of hundred tunes on a USB drive, that could become a pain. I think I\'ll still get one, but this would be an awsome feature.

Jeff-TheBiz
11-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by AXCL

Hey Jeff,

Is there any directory change options on the unit, or is it only next/previous song? With a couple of hundred tunes on a USB drive, that could become a pain. I think I\'ll still get one, but this would be an awsome feature.

When it was working.. :sarc it plays the songs in order that they appear on the flash.. I didn\'t put anything into directories or sub directories.. I should try that..

I should mention if you turn off the car, it starts at the beginning again.

MAZDA Kitten
11-29-2005, 02:44 PM
I would be interested in a GB :) :)

Kevin@nextmod
11-29-2005, 03:29 PM
I see many ppl that are interested in this. But we still need someone to start it.

fourtrack78
11-29-2005, 04:10 PM
put me in on the GB. But does it work with the standard oem deck no changer?

vanpatrick81
12-02-2005, 10:56 AM
i\'d be interested too if somebody can provide price and show how to make it work

S.F.W.
12-02-2005, 04:27 PM
I sent them an e-mail, asking if we purchased 10 and shipped to one address what they could do in terms of price and shipping.

KenYork
12-03-2005, 08:41 AM
so many great possible GB\'s and no $$$ to spend. anyone looking for someone to shovel snow?

S.F.W.
12-03-2005, 11:21 AM
I received an e-mail back from the ebay seller. He said the standard MP3 version is out of stock, but he had the ipod version in stock.
So i guess that means he was not interested in discounting..

CoolColombian
12-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Lets try email them again this week, maybe the seller was telling the truth, i\'ll be in for the GB, what you guys think?

TheProfessor
12-22-2005, 03:42 PM
I think I\'m gonna go for the iPod version.....I\'ve spoken to a few people who have bought it from him/them and all say it works very well. The only hick-up thus far is that the track # and time is not correct, but the install is easy, the sound quality great, and ff/rwd works no problem.

Just a thought for those considering a GB....this seller appears to put \"sample\" on the shipment which means you won\'t have to pay customs/duties! If you do a GB I doubt they can get away with that trick, so any money you save going the GB route may just be spent on other crap.

rsquared
12-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Looks like I just found the first add-on for my Mazda3 Sport, I\'m going to pick up an ipod version. :D

kyfe
12-30-2005, 09:31 AM
so I have an MP3 player with a line in that is Hard drive based.

Will this work?

TheProfessor
12-30-2005, 09:49 AM
I believe it connects via USB, and it should work, however I\'m still unclear if it will just disregard all of your folders/hieracrhy and treat it as one very large folder. Worst case, contact the seller....so far I have gotten pretty quick responses from him.

kyfe
12-30-2005, 04:47 PM
cool thanks

TheProfessor
01-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Alright, just wanted to update anyone who might be interested in purchasing the Mazda3 iPod link off of eBay......I got mine today, installed it and it isn\'t working properly. The install is pretty easy, one side plugs into the CD changer port in the back of the deck and the other just plugs into the iPod. The sound quality when it\'s working is great. Here are the problems I\'m having though, which in my opinion are fairly major:

1) Everything works fine until you try and change the tracks either via head unit or steering wheel. Once you press either the ff or rwd buttons the iPod rewinds one song, plays the first few seconds, then rewinds to the previous song, plays the first few seconds and so on. After about 10-12 seconds the head unit just shuts itself off.

2) The unit is supposed to make the iPod shut down when the head unit is turned off, however all it does is pause the iPod but leave it on, so it\'s just draining battery power. When you remove the key from the ignition is stays in that mode and is charging the iPod, so your car battery is being drained.

I was also told that the item would be marked \"sample\" so I could avoid any taxes/duties however it was not marked like that and as such I was charged an additional $16CAD upon pick up from the post office.

Now, that\'s not to say that this unit doesn\'t work as I have spoken to other MZ3 owners who have bought the exact same thing and it works perfectly for them. There are some owners who area also experiencing the exact same problems as I have described above, so who knows. I\'ve contacted the seller and will keep you guys up to date regarding the situation. Hopefully I just got a defective one.

And just to be sure, before anyone asks, I know what I\'m doing and it\'s all installed correctly. All plugs fit snug (too snug on my Nano in my opinion).

ds2chan
01-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by PSIVIC
All plugs fit snug (too snug on my Nano in my opinion).

maybe it just doesn\'t function properly with the nano.. just a thought..

TheProfessor
01-12-2006, 11:58 AM

No, it fits fine, but I just would\'ve liked an extra mm or so of clearence between the headphone jack and the charging jack.

The seller has responded saying that it\'s impossible for the unit to be charging the iPod when the deck is off and asked if I\'ve \'re-wired\' anything. I will double check that I wasn\'t crazy yesterday, but I\'m pretty sure I wasn\'t!

I\'ll keep everyone who cares posted.

rsquared
01-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Interesting pscivic, please keep us posted. I actually decided to go another route, only because it was cheaper: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=34982.0

I just placed an order yesterday.

It seems to work the same way as the one on eBay and users have posted positive results so far.

ds2chan
01-12-2006, 01:23 PM

No, it fits fine, but I just would\'ve liked an extra mm or so of clearence between the headphone jack and the charging jack.

The seller has responded saying that it\'s impossible for the unit to be charging the iPod when the deck is off and asked if I\'ve \'re-wired\' anything. I will double check that I wasn\'t crazy yesterday, but I\'m pretty sure I wasn\'t!

I\'ll keep everyone who cares posted.

oh, I actually just thought that because the nano is new technology, maybe it isn\'t backwards compatible with the ipod connectors.. the functionality is there in the nano but maybe the components work in a different manner in the nano.. that was just my initial thought.. but please, keep us updated.. I\'m curious as to why it isn\'t working properly for u..

ds2chan
01-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by rsquared

Interesting pscivic, please keep us posted. I actually decided to go another route, only because it was cheaper: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=34982.0

It seems to work the same way as the one on eBay and users have posted positive results so far.

man, that sounds like an awesome unit.. but it\'s also in US funds.. :( which would mean the final price is a bit higher.. and out of my price range.. damnit.. but let us know how it is..

TheProfessor
01-12-2006, 01:51 PM

That\'s the identical unit I have......same unit, same box, same manufactuer. Please let me know when you get it cause if it works for you then maybe I got a dud.

rsquared
01-12-2006, 03:44 PM
man, that sounds like an awesome unit.. but it\'s also in US funds.. :( which would mean the final price is a bit higher.. and out of my price range.. damnit.. but let us know how it is..

Higher in comparison to what? It cost me $119.95US including free shipping to Canada, and the one on eBay is $109US plus $30US for shipping for a total of $139US.

That\'s the identical unit I have......same unit, same box, same manufactuer. Please let me know when you get it cause if it works for you then maybe I got a dud.

The rpmstore sold out of their stick and are expecting their next shipment of the units sometime next week, I probably won\'t receive it until the end of the month. I will definitely let you know the results.

TheProfessor
01-13-2006, 08:19 AM
Okay, one more update/problem.....you know how I mentioned that the two jacks fit a bit \'snug\' on the Nano.....well it turns out that you are not supposed to connect the headphone jack.....the iPod dock connecter should charge and transmit the music, and guess what.....it isn\'t doing that for me. The only way I can get music is to also connect the headphone jack. Incidentally, they include the headphone jack in case you want to connect another device.

kyfe
01-13-2006, 09:44 AM
I also ordered the MP3 version of this, it\'s been shipped and on it\'s way. I\'m taking a road trip to MTL next weekend so I\'ll have it installed by the end of next week.

I\'ll also keep you posted on my results,

AXCL
01-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Has anyone tried plugging a USB IPOD into the USB version of the device. If it reads any USB drive, it should still read the MP3s and see the IPOD as a storage device and work the same way. If this works, the USB version gives you the best of both worlds.

ds2chan
01-13-2006, 11:24 AM

Higher in comparison to what? It cost me $119.95US including free shipping to Canada, and the one on eBay is $109US plus $30US for shipping for a total of $139US.

higher as in the price is in US so when converted to CAN dollars the price would be higher.. ie, $120US = $145CAN (around there? don\'t know the exchange rate right now)..

Originally posted by AXCL

Has anyone tried plugging a USB IPOD into the USB version of the device. If it reads any USB drive, it should still read the MP3s and see the IPOD as a storage device and work the same way. If this works, the USB version gives you the best of both worlds.

I don\'t own an ipod but I\'m pretty sure it needs drivers.. that would explain why there\'s an ipod version out..

TheProfessor
01-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Alright, the seller has just sent me an e-mail indicating that I should send the unit back to him and I have one of two options......he will either send me a replacement or offer me a full refund including the price to ship it back to him. Not too sure what I should do. I think I\'m gonna get my money back and wait for one of you guys to give it a shot. If all goes well, and I hope it does, then I\'ll get another one.

kyfe
01-22-2006, 08:22 PM
So the package arrived around 11am friday and had the install done by 12:30.
I used the line in port and ran it thru the middle console (popped off the cup holders in the middle and planted the box underneath) I then ran the cord up thru the holders so they can be tucked awway when you leave the car without a trace. Eventually I will run the cable up to the top compartment in the middle, above the cd holder. The install was very much plug and play.

just got back from montreal, the MP3 player lasted the whole trip without one problem (model: iAudio x5 20gb HD player). It worked just as expected with no hitches so PScivic you may want to look into the guy sending you another one. There was about $30 in duty as the parcel comes from the US so total cost was about $170 after everything is said and done.

I\'m a music junkie so for me to have 20GB available at any given time is a good thing and made it a worthwhile investment.

Sorry I have no pics to share but if you have any other questions post them here or PM me

Kyfe

TheProfessor
01-22-2006, 09:38 PM
So you could change tracks by using your steering wheel mounted audio controls? That was the biggest problem I had with the unit. I do think that I probably just got a \'dud\', but I\'d still rather wait for somebody else to get the iPod version locally to make sure.

TheProfessor
01-30-2006, 08:02 AM
I guess Kyfe doesn\'t come here too often anymore.....anyone have this installed and have it work exactly as it should (specifically the iPod version)?

rsquared
01-30-2006, 12:20 PM
I\'m expecting my ipod version to come in sometime this week. I\'ll definitely let you know my results once I get to install and test it.

TheProfessor
01-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Cool, thanks! I really want this to work ;)

kyfe
01-30-2006, 02:12 PM

So you could change tracks by using your steering wheel mounted audio controls? That was the biggest problem I had with the unit. I do think that I probably just got a \'dud\', but I\'d still rather wait for somebody else to get the iPod version locally to make sure.

ok I just tested it out again this weekend and it in fact does not work with the steering wheel controls, (mp3 version)

basically this is a box u you can use to hook up your MP3 player to your car, nothing more,
AKA a PIE adaptor

TheProfessor
01-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Damn, that sucks. The strange thing is that I have asked a few people from eBay who have bought the item from him and swear that everything works perfect.

kyfe
01-30-2006, 06:25 PM
yeah most of the reviews I\'ve read say the same thing , (that it works)

rsquared
02-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Mine came in yesterday, and no customs charges :D

I found it odd that it didn\'t come with instructions, but there\'s enough how to\'s out there.

Will try to install it tonight or tomorrow and let you guys know how it went.

TheProfessor
02-01-2006, 01:47 PM

Mine came in yesterday, and no customs charges :D

I found it odd that it didn\'t come with instructions, but there\'s enough how to\'s out there.

Will try to install it tonight or tomorrow and let you guys know how it went.

Yeah, mine didn\'t come with instructions either, but you really can\'t screw it up....it\'s so easy. Keep us posted.

kyfe
02-02-2006, 02:09 PM
spoke to the guy today regarding the MP3 version, he advised me that the controls will only work when a storage device is hooked up via USB and not via the line in.

I\'m gonna try the USB conection this weekend, I\'ll keep you posted

Kyfe

TheProfessor
02-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Hmmmm, I never tried that one, I\'d be curious to see how/if it works.

rsquared
02-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Finally did my install! I created a \"how to\" in a seperate thread: http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=5011

Although I only tested it for a few minutes, the unit works great. I can use the steering wheel controls to switch songs. Only thing I noticed is that the ipod is charging whenever it\'s connected to the Audio Link cable, even when I\'m not listening to the ipod. So whenever it\'s plugged in, even when I turn off the car, it\'s still charging. No biggie I guess since I take my ipod with me when I\'m not in the car.

kyfe
02-05-2006, 10:36 AM

Hmmmm, I never tried that one, I\'d be curious to see how/if it works.

it technically works but gives you no visible access to the file directory, with that being said you will simply be swtiching songs with no clue where in the directory you are, also if you wanted to pick a particular song good luck.

It\'s a very impractical device since it only give you the track skip option but at the expese of being able to view your files. To me this is very stupid and renders the item completely useless.

basically it\'s a $140 US line in, which is a joke

TheProfessor
02-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Ah, now I don\'t feel so bad returning the unit for a full refund!

rsquared
02-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Sorry to hear about those with the mp3 version and all the problems. Just came back from a road trip this weekend and the ipod version worked flawlessly. I was able to use the steering wheel controls just fine.

kyfe
02-07-2006, 01:37 PM

I emailed him about returning the unit, but he wants to charge me a restocking fee, Oh well I think I\'ll just bite the bullet and keep it, cause if it\'s gonna cost me $40 just to return it that\'ll be more hurt on the wallet.

anyway it seems he no longer wants to talk with me as he hasn\'t returned my last email.

PSIVIC, where did your\'s come from? mine came from Revolution Performance Manufacturing OUT OF TEXAS

either way for the price common sense would have dictated buying a new deck that can host an MP3 player

TheProfessor
02-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by kyfe

I emailed him about returning the unit, but he wants to charge me a restocking fee, Oh well I think I\'ll just bite the bullet and keep it, cause if it\'s gonna cost me $40 just to return it that\'ll be more hurt on the wallet.

anyway it seems he no longer wants to talk with me as he hasn\'t returned my last email.

PSIVIC, where did your\'s come from? mine came from Revolution Performance Manufacturing OUT OF TEXAS

either way for the price common sense would have dictated buying a new deck that can host an MP3 player

I bought mine through eBay (seller is Nabobery).....he had no problem offering me a full refund plus the price of shipping it back to him, though I haven\'t gotten any money yet as he says he has not yet received the item (should be there this week).

Edit: Forgot to mention, it came from Taiwan.

TheProfessor
02-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Just a final update for me......the eBay seller that I bought the unit from has just issued me a full refund for the unit including all shipping costs. He did however ask me that I not mention any of the problems I had with the unit in my feedback :sarc

mr_mxyztplk
08-02-2006, 02:46 PM
My buddy has just installed the Kenwood KDC-X590 USB/MP3 deck in his car, and I\'ll be following suit next week.

( Details at Crutchfield\'s website) (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dZYrsbrsAkS/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=113KDCX590)

Will keep y\'all posted on how it turns out.

mr_mxyztplk
08-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Just got the Kenwood deck (see previous post) installed and hooked up to the USB drive, and it works like a dream. Also sounds considerably better than the stock Mazda head.

Next step is wiring up the steering wheel controls, and doing a permanent install of the USB drive into the dashboard.

I\'ll post pics once the whole project is done, but for now, I\'m happy to report that 40 GIGS of MP3 in the dashboard is entirely possible for ~$350 CAD.

woot!

TheProfessor
08-31-2006, 03:14 PM
Cool, congrats! Swapping out the factory head unit makes a huge difference in the quality of sound IMO.

mr_mxyztplk
09-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Yeah, definitely a difference in sound quality.

Next trick is to figure out how to re-enable the steering wheel controls!

TheProfessor
09-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by mr_mxyztplk

Yeah, definitely a difference in sound quality.

Next trick is to figure out how to re-enable the steering wheel controls!

There are a number of members here who are using that SWIX thing with decent results.

jdanielsg
09-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Naborrey has come up with a new version of the USB thing which supposedly will allow you to browse directories etc. he told me he hasnt listed it and it comes with a SD card reader which looks like a thumbdrive and u insert an SD card it allows u to use it with the system he is selling.. wat a great way to use the stuff i already have instead of going to buy a USB flash drive

One guy mentioned here, het installed it somewhere other than the glove box. Will it go to the centre armrest? anyone tried that?