PDA

View Full Version : OEM or Aftermarket Brakes?

Illmatic
10-12-2005, 10:31 PM
So I was at Mazda of Toronto today for my 48K service (car\'s actually at 52K) and I decided to complain again about the rear brake squeal. Anyway they said that my rear pads are at 25% and I need to replace them and the rotors, plus flush the brake lines etc. Anyway the rear brake job is something like $450.00.

Now I have a decision to make. Do I go with aftermarket equipment of stick with the OEM brakes? I\'ve been reading the past posts about the TSB that\'s out regarding the brakes on the 3. Part of me is wondering if I can get Mazda to do some of the work under warranty but that\'s probably not gonna happen!

Anyway, looking for some suggestions! What do y\'all think?

Flipspeed, can you give me an idea on how much I might be looking at for parts?

MajesticBlueNTO
10-12-2005, 11:16 PM
go aftermarket on the rear brake pads. you don\'t need to replace the rotors, unless they\'re cracked to shit or warped (which, in most cases is pad material unevenly distributed and is solved by bedding in the new pads).

at this point, flushing the brake lines don\'t need to be done unless you\'ve boiled the fluid racing or dragging your brakes. brake fluid flushes are recommended to be done every 2 years, of course, YMMV

change the rear pads and flush the brake lines yourself. can be done in about an hour in your driveway (flushing will require 2 people, one to pump the pedal, one to open the brake bleeding bolt).

bottom line, save yourself the money and go aftermarket on the pads. if you have the dealer do it, tell them to only change the pads...the other stuff is not needed at the moment.

dredd2099
10-12-2005, 11:21 PM
^agree w/ mr majestic

cept for the flushing part
might as well do it since ur doin the brakes alrdy

majic
10-13-2005, 12:22 AM
all good info.. :) but it\'s my duty to provide links :D

go with the ebc greenstuff (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=2623) - what MBN got.. it\'ll cost you less than OEM and it will perform better

FLIPDADY
10-13-2005, 07:47 AM
The pads will cost you $91.00 plus taxes and the rotors which yours are below min. thickness are $62.78 each plus taxes.

Tires23
10-13-2005, 11:16 AM
+ 1 on the EBC Greenstuff, better than OEM pads and DUSTLESS~!

We had them for $83 + tax (rear #DP21354) but are currently out of stock.

As for the front, Hawk HPS would be a very nice choice.

SABIO
10-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

The pads will cost you $91.00 plus taxes and the rotors which yours are below min. thickness are $62.78 each plus taxes.

So I guess Joe looked up the workorder and found out what the problem was with the Rotors. They are below minimum thickness.

I must say that is a Joke for rotors to wear out at 50k. That right there tells me something is wrong with the brake system.
Pads lasting 50K or more is good. Rotors gone... no way.
I\'d fire off a complaint to Mazda. Then go buy your brakes somewhere else.You\'ll get better quality and performance with long life with aftermarket. And a brake job is not rocket science.

Illmatic
10-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the input! It looks like I\'m going to go with the EBC Greenstuff pads but I have to see what the availability is from Tires 23. Don\'t know where else I can source them locally but I did a little research and found a place that will ship to Canada.

I guess I\'m stuck having to change the rotors. I\'ll check out the offerings that EBC has and compare it to the OEM ones. I\'m also surprised that I\'m in this situation (I don\'t drive and brake like a maniac) so I\'ll look into sending off that letter to Mazda Canada (thanks Sabio). As for installation I\'d love to be able to do it myself but since I actually want the rear brakes to work I\'ll see if I can find a mechanic that can do it cheaper than Mazda provided I supply the parts.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the feedback.

mEtH
10-13-2005, 11:52 PM
How do you think they get the price as low as it sits? ;)

The P5 has even thinner rotors then us.

TheProfessor
10-14-2005, 08:19 AM
When we had our P5 I heard stories from other owners of the brakes being shot at 30,000km! The front brakes/rotors on my 6 had to be replaced at 28,000km, though it was a warranty/recall issue, but still.

Mica3SGT
10-15-2005, 05:01 PM
greenstuff or Hawk will be going in when mine wear out. The p5\'s were nearly cooked at 80K - and YES - I have a manual tranny and don\'t like brake dust.

Illmatic
10-15-2005, 08:01 PM
30,0000 KMs and a brake job already? Wow. Anwyay I\'m going to have to investigate some aftermarket rotors as well. I know there was a discussion before regarding cross drilled rotors, slotted, etc. Anyone ever decide which were better? My knowledge of brakes is pretty much you step on the pedal, the car slows down... :p

billyfo
10-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Tires23

+ 1 on the EBC Greenstuff, better than OEM pads and DUSTLESS~!

We had them for $83 + tax (rear #DP21354) but are currently out of stock.

As for the front, Hawk HPS would be a very nice choice.

Martin/Billy, if you have EBC back in stock, pls phone to me, mine are near run out. thanks