PDA

View Full Version : I got 14 MPG this week :) Ya baby!!!!

SABIO
10-22-2005, 01:37 AM
Filled up on the weekend. A little driving around town. Then driving to and from work.
About 11 km to and from work. Basically a straight road, 80 km/hr.
I filled up tonite, I had 90km on the trip. 14.1 Litres!!!!!

that would be 15.6L for a 100kms... at that rate I would get 320km to a tank in town. Awsome!!!

If I convert it.. properly I hope.. that is 14.6 MPG. (3.785L = 1 gallon)

Should I get rid of my car??? Give it back... get a real car... from a company than dosen\'t lie to it\'s customers.....

TheProfessor
10-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Can I ask a serious question....if you are so unhappy with your car and Mazda, why take the time and money to mod it? Just cut your losses, sell the car, go buy something that you\'ll be happy with and be done with it :sarc

SABIO
10-22-2005, 12:02 PM
It\'s a love / hate thing.... Great to look at... great to drive... but want someone to steal it at night hahahahaha

Mica3SGT
10-22-2005, 12:18 PM
take your \"trophy\" and go home....

Simkins
10-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Thats weird, I just filled up the other day, combined city / highway driving (mainly highway though) and I got 8.1L/100km. I have a GT Sedan.

awhoy
10-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by SABIO

If I convert it.. properly I hope.. that is 14.6 MPG. (3.785L = 1 gallon)

Should I get rid of my car??? Give it back... get a real car... from a company than dosen\'t lie to it\'s customers.....

At 14.6 MPG, that\'s that\'s the milage my friend\'s getting on his 2005 V8 Mustang convertible (with his roof down most of the time) and he is complaining because his Suburban SUV is getting close to 20MPG.

I have the 2005 sport GT w/auto, My gas milage is hovering around 20MPG with 70% hwy. I have beening waiting for the gas milage to get better as the car breaks in. It is close to 10,000km now and I believe it will not get better.

I understand what you meant by its a love/hate thing, the car is great over all, just that the poor gas milage is frustrating and holding me back from fully enjoying the car. I find myself driving like a granny all the time trying to get the advertised milage 25-29MPG. Oh well, I guess the bright side is I won\'t have to worry about getting any speeding tickets which will me money on fines and insurance hikes.

-John

SABIO
10-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Mica3SGT

and that means ??

bubba1983
10-22-2005, 05:27 PM

and that means ??

to go home??? *shrugs*
lol

majic
10-22-2005, 06:56 PM
allllllright.. since there are so many threads on this, i\'ll go back and update one of (if not THE) first one (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=1395&page=12#54627)..

SABIO
10-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by bubba1983

and that means ??

to go home??? *shrugs*
lol

But I am home....

Maybe he wishes he spent his money on Performance mods.... not the pretty boy ones

Mica3SGT
10-22-2005, 10:02 PM
\"Sabio\" - the Mazda3 isn\'t a \"performance\" car - it\'s an economy car!
There\'s no noticeable improvement in the Mazda 160HP 2.3 litre unless you add an aftermarket blower or supercharger for serious HP gains- and guess what happens to the fuel economy you bitch about?
If you think adding aftermarket wheels, painting your grill(yuck), and lowering it
was adding performance - think again!
You shoulda kept your Grandass GM car (a serious chick wagon) and saved your 12 grand. LOL
What a MORON:sarc

bubba1983
10-22-2005, 10:14 PM

\"Sabio\" - the Mazda3 isn\'t a \"performance\" car - it\'s an economy car!
There\'s no noticeable improvement in the Mazda 160HP 2.3 litre unless you add an aftermarket blower or supercharger for serious HP gains- and guess what happens to the fuel economy you bitch about?
If you think adding aftermarket wheels, painting your grill(yuck), and lowering it
was adding performance - think again!
You shoulda kept your Grandass GM car (a serious chick wagon) and saved your 12 grand. LOL
What a MORON:sarc

:zzz

am i the only one bein bored by this?

*shrugs*

TheProfessor
10-22-2005, 10:37 PM
He has a good point....larger wheels and tires will result in worse fuel economy. An intake may also cause economy to get worse as the ECU is adding more fuel to compensate for the increased intake of air.

All I know is I got 500km to 3/4 of my last tank, and I wasn\'t driving crazy nor like a granny :sarc

SABIO
10-22-2005, 10:58 PM
If somewhere I said aftermarket wheels/tires....coloured grill and lowering it was done for performance, please point it out to me?

You can\'t quote me if I didn\'t say it.

and i find it peculiar that you have been keeping track of my mods and posts... Just another wanna-be.. an also-ran.

Nothing wrong with being the first place Loser

whodilly
10-24-2005, 01:10 AM
easy guys!

Sabio, there has gotta be something wrong with your car. When you got your dyno done was there anything wrong with you air/fuel mix? YOu definitely seem to be burning alot of fuel. I know the intake burns alittle extra cause I got one too but my fuel consumption is not as bad as yours. And even the wheels shouldn\'t make that much of a dif.

I heard of some people getting their fuel pumps replaced because they were faulty. Great FoMo parts!

DJB
10-30-2005, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by bubba1983

and that means ??

to go home??? *shrugs*
lol

But I am home....

Maybe he wishes he spent his money on Performance mods.... not the pretty boy ones

Sabio,

Although I don\'t agree with the attacks on you in this thread, I do not appreciate this comment. Are you implying that I too am a \"Pretty Boy\" because all my mods are visual enhancements?

NOTE TO ALL PERFORMANCE MODDERS:
I sure hope you are informing your insurance company of the PERFORMANCE modifications you have made to your vehicle; because if you\'re not, you\'ll be in for a pleasant surprise when you try to do a claim if you get into an accident. ALSO, if you ARE claiming these modifications, your insurance would be going up as well. Hence, you\'re not only getting bad milage, you\'re spending more on insurance.

So, please don\'t knock the modders who don\'t like to follow your lead, chances are some of them (like me) don\'t wish to have to deal with extra insurance premiums and the chance of being denied on a claim.

If this comment was directed at an individual, please PM them in the future instead of insulting others in the fourms.

Thank You.

P.S. For the record I feel that Mica3SGT\'s comment was unwarranted, joke or not.

bubba1983
10-30-2005, 05:38 PM
bla bla
anywyas dude sabbs man...i know its kinda late now to be at it...but, take off your wheels and take otu the intake, drive around for a month, and see whats up....
OR was it liek this without the intake and wheels before?

just sayin man so u can kinda get a comparison...by some fluke reason of god something has gonew wrong

ds2chan
10-30-2005, 07:01 PM
I know what you mean by bad mileage.. for some reason my car is only getting approx 100 km per 1/4 tank on the streets of TO.. that would equal 13.75L per 100 km which doesn\'t sound very good.. and I drive really slow (granny driving) and I don\'t have any performance mods..

but then I start mixing up my street driving with highway driving and I start getting a lot better mileage.. right now I\'m at about 390km at 3/4 a tank.. I can\'t figure out why such a big difference.. I think I\'ll mention this to mazda when I go in for my 1st oil change ever..

SABIO
10-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by ds2chan

I think I\'ll mention this to mazda when I go in for my 1st oil change ever..

$10 they say it\'s normal until the engine breaks in :zzz

ds2chan
10-30-2005, 07:44 PM

I\'m pretty sure they\'ll tell me that.. :(

but how exactly do you know if your engine is so called broken in?? I\'m at about 3000km now.. that seems broken in to me..

majic
10-30-2005, 07:47 PM

I\'m pretty sure they\'ll tell me that.. :(

but how exactly do you know if your engine is so called broken in?? I\'m at about 3000km now.. that seems broken in to me..

if you\'ve been grannying it all along then you probably never break it in..

are your trips short? (how short)?

ds2chan
10-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by majic

if you\'ve been grannying it all along then you probably never break it in..

are your trips short? (how short)?

yeah, so far my trips have been short.. my longest trip (besides driving to niagara falls and hamilton a couple of times) is about 10-15km.. so yeah, they are fairly short..

I\'ve read about people redlining their car in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear to break-in their cars.. is this really necessary??

SABIO
10-30-2005, 08:38 PM
I was first told 5K for engine break in... then 10K by the same chick. So even Mazda dosen\'t know when it\'s broken in.

majic
10-30-2005, 08:44 PM

yeah, so far my trips have been short.. my longest trip (besides driving to niagara falls and hamilton a couple of times) is about 10-15km.. so yeah, they are fairly short..

I\'ve read about people redlining their car in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear to break-in their cars.. is this really necessary??

so i guess you never read what i wrote here (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=3992#54628) :sarc

read up here (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm) about what redlining does to your engine/pistons/seals...

ds2chan
10-31-2005, 12:39 AM
so i guess you never read what i wrote here (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=3992#54628) :sarc

read up here (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm) about what redlining does to your engine/pistons/seals...

yeah, I read the first link but I don\'t see anything about why I should be breaking in my engine..
so I started reading the 2nd link but I didn\'t understand any of it.. I\'m a car noob so it might as well have been written in french (I don\'t know french so I hope you can see the analogy :))..

I\'m assuming there\'s a simple one line answer about why you should break-in your car by pushing it like that.. so please tell me.. :D

Jeff-TheBiz
10-31-2005, 05:08 PM
It would be worthwhile to see what you consumption would be without all the mods...

SABIO
10-31-2005, 09:00 PM
pretty easy to hook up the stock air box... which i want to do anyway.
The exhuast is another matter... cost a little $$$ to do that. And my opinion is that the exhuast leans out the engine (re: more power) so fuel consumption is better. As long as you don\'t drive like you are in an Indy.
I will be switching to the snows sooner than I wanted.... heard a weird noise in the back tonite...My first $250 flat tire :( :( :( :(

ds2chan
10-31-2005, 10:03 PM
I will be switching to the snows sooner than I wanted.... heard a weird noise in the back tonite...My first $250 flat tire :( :( :( :(

wtf?? how\'d u get a flat tire?? that totally sucks man.. did u feel urself hit something??

I remember practicing driving on the highway with my father\'s car by myself and I pulled off the highway and took the street back home.. I must\'ve drove about 15km and realized the car felt kinda weird.. so I pulled over and saw a flat tire on the rear passenger tire.. I had no idea wtf happened.. I was so shocked to see that.. the funny thing was the whole tire looked like it was slashed..

bubba1983
11-01-2005, 02:10 AM

pretty easy to hook up the stock air box... which i want to do anyway.
The exhuast is another matter... cost a little $$$ to do that. And my opinion is that the exhuast leans out the engine (re: more power) so fuel consumption is better. As long as you don\'t drive like you are in an Indy.

damn expensive rubbers.....shitty buzz...
im changing over to teh stock rsa\'s tomorrow, haha, man its been almost a year since ihad them on!

GlenW
11-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Basing milage on how many liters 1 fill up was isn\'t remotely accurate anyway, unless it is averaged over may times at the same station. Difference in pump pressure, nozzle size, hey even the rubber gasket on the pump can effect the position of the nozzel in your tank. This will all effect at what point the pump tells you your car is full. Did you top it off...did your forget that you toped it off with a couple of liters?:p

I rented a care once (don\'t remember the make) that the pump at one station would always kick back at 3/4 of a tank. A different station would let me go above Full. If I used this to esimate milage, I would have thought there was a hole in the gas tank. :D

bubba1983
11-02-2005, 05:52 PM
well sabbs man, take out the CAI....and jus run teh exhaust...and see if you get something close to what i get per tank....then if you do...u have narrowed it down to your CAI giving you the poor mileage

SABIO
11-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Just a side note about the flat tire....
When I checked my air last sunday, there is a little red \'nubby thingy\' inside the valve cap. Which fell out and i pushed it back in. When I filled up my flat tire the next nite (32psi) I noticed the red \'nubby thing\' was stuck to the valve on an angle... which leads me to conclude that it depressed the valve slightly and was letting air out really slowly over the course of 2 days.
I filled the tire hot (driving on a flat makes a tire hot-about 1km) to 32 psi... for the past week it has been sitting at 27psi cold. I filled it up again to 32 psi cold... and it hasn\'t dropped.

Whew... what a lucky break on that one... :)

Zaku_4
11-07-2005, 05:05 PM
im getting about 400km per tank.

not cool =/, oh well im sure its cuas ei drive like a mofo

Zaku_4
11-07-2005, 06:35 PM

so, the demo cars are what we should buy then? we all know people try them out by beating the crap out of them, and that apparently makes the rings fit perfectly. not to mention that are SOOO much cheaper then new cars

MajesticBlueNTO
11-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Zaku_4

so, the demo cars are what we should buy then? we all know people try them out by beating the crap out of them, and that apparently makes the rings fit perfectly. not to mention that are SOOO much cheaper then new cars

Demo cars are usually ripped to shreds when cold (i.e. not at Normal Operating Temp)...about the WORSE thing you can do for a new engine.

majic
11-07-2005, 11:32 PM

trust me.. u haven\'t seen a mofo drive yet.. both MajesticBlueN and i giv\'er.. redline to clean out the carbon deposits :D and to hear the intakes/exhaust :) .. i get 9.00 l/100km over 30K km and he gets ~9.4 l/100km over 73K km (combined city and highway).. what this means is about 450-480km before the light comes on.. i did 480 today and filled up 45 liters... meh.. too fun to drive

awhoy
11-08-2005, 01:08 AM
How I envy some of your gas milages. I would definitely be happy with 9L/100KM average. It\'s has been couple months since the last time I got less than 10L/100KM. I filled up with 45L today at 381KM when the light came on. That\'s with 50/50 hwy city.

Jetlag
11-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Just with this whole \"gas mileage\" issue. Is there a KNOWN problem or TSB with the 3 concerning this. Since I bought my 3 in May of this year, I\'ve noticed a steady decline in gas mileage. I do have an aftermarket intake, but I don\'t drive hard at all (shift at 3500 rpm max), do a lot of mixed driving, but mostly highways. I\'m barely getting 10-11 km\'s per litre.

Zaku_4
11-11-2005, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

Demo cars are usually ripped to shreds when cold (i.e. not at Normal Operating Temp)...about the WORSE thing you can do for a new engine.

so then idling for a bit is worth while? or driving slowly before normal tempuratures before going \"all-out\"? haha this topic confuses me

Zaku_4
11-11-2005, 02:58 AM

trust me.. u haven\'t seen a mofo drive yet.. both MajesticBlueN and i giv\'er.. redline to clean out the carbon deposits :D and to hear the intakes/exhaust :) .. i get 9.00 l/100km over 30K km and he gets ~9.4 l/100km over 73K km (combined city and highway).. what this means is about 450-480km before the light comes on.. i did 480 today and filled up 45 liters... meh.. too fun to drive

wow, u get more milage than me AND regularily clean carbon deposits XD.

btw ok fine, you drive more like a mofo than me, you mofo :D