PDA

View Full Version : interior fan issues

Jetlag
10-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a 05 M3 (white) which, I purchased in May of this year. Loving it so far and it\'s cool to see a local forum. Recently however, I\'ve been experiencing intermittent problems with my interior fan. Since the temps have dipped, the fan takes 5-10 minutes to turn on. I normally have to play with the fan speeds and it just turns on all of a sudden. Anyone else experience this? Any feedback would be awesome.
thanks.

SABIO
10-23-2005, 08:12 PM
The fan should always work. Turn the selector knob to on... whichever speed and it should go on.

The heat -warm air- does not come out until the engine has warmed up, which in cooler (cold) weather does take a few minutes. -this is normal

TheProfessor
10-24-2005, 08:21 AM
Yeah, are you sure it\'s the fan taking a while to come on as opposed to the heated air?

Jetlag
10-25-2005, 06:01 PM
No mistakes here. It\'s the fan! Today, I waited for about 20 minutes b4 it came on. I think there\'s a problem with the module that controls the fan. I\'ll be bringing it to the dealer fo sure!

TheProfessor
10-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Strange....haven\'t heard of this happening before. Keep us posted please.

Jetlag
10-26-2005, 06:04 PM
I have an appointment at the dealer this Friday. I\'ll inform you of the outcome.

Jetlag
10-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Well went to the dealer and as murphy\'s law would have it, the problem didn\'t occur when it needed to. My fan was inoperable for 2 days and miracurously turned on that morning. Anyway, although the service team couldn\'t find anything, their ordering in a new blower fan module and resistor. It\'s too much of potential hazard to have this as an intermittent problem. Great service from Dave Wood as usual!

Jetlag
11-10-2005, 11:20 PM
After a full day at Dave Wood, the problem was resolved. They replaced the blower unit along with a new resistor. Because of the placement of this unit under the dash, it\'s a big job, hence the full day. However, in the end problem solved and my fan is working like new again. Kudos to the service team at Dave Wood. I highly recommend them to anyone experiencing problems with their 3. They exhibit a level of customer service and care that is severely lacking in the rest of the market.