PDA

View Full Version : who has an aftermarket shifter?

Jetlag
10-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Just wondering if anyone else is playing with an aftermarket shifter. I went with the Mazdaspeed shifter a few months ago and am happy with it. It does look weird with its akward bend and the throws are reduced by only 20%, but shifter feel is much more refined now. Smooth like butter and shifts like an Acura TSX.

For those with the TWM shifter, did you notice a significant reduction in the throws?
Before my 3, I drove a P5 with a B&M shifter and it felt like heaven. I miss the stiffness and very short throws the B&M provided.
thanks.

mEtH
10-23-2005, 09:22 PM
The TWM one is great. There is another thread on this somewhere back in the day. Everyone was complaining about the TWM not having the bend for a while but really its not even noticeable. The throws are smooth and very short. Longer if you are driving casually it seems, but short none the less. The bushings really make it feel planted. I would like a weighted shift knob but theres nothing out there for me that is threaded and leather. Hard to steer away from such a comfortable stock shift knob.

whodilly
10-24-2005, 12:42 AM
I\'ve also got the TWM and the shifts are definitely alot shorter, especially from 1st to 2nd. Dunno about methodyst but i\'ve got the 2nd gen one (with bend) and it sits straight. I think the mazdaspeed one looks alttle screwy! I have a weighted shift knob and it helps make shifts easier. It\'s tough to drive easy with the ss, cause you always want to gun it!