PDA

View Full Version : Driven! 2006 Civic

///M
10-27-2005, 05:13 PM
I had some spare time on my hands today so I went to test drive the new Civic to see what the hype was all about. I was originally planning to test drive the Si, but they hadn\'t arrived yet, so I took a 4 door DX-G manual out for a spin.

The interior looks better in person than in the pictures, and the dash layout works suprisingly well - much better than I would have expected from the pictures. I still don\'t like the huge digital speedometer though - I\'d imagine it\'d be very easy for a cop to read it from the outside. :D The seats are pretty comfortable, and the overall car sits a bit lower than a stock Mazda3, which I like. I hate the current trend with the new cars getting taller and taller, and it\'s nice to see something that bucks the trend.

All non-Si Civic models for 06 have a 1.8l 140hp engine. The first thing I noticed when I started the car was how light the clutch was - typical Honda, and would be great for in town driving. It did take some getting used to before I could launch smoothly. The shifter had short throws and felt more \"mechanical\" and connected than the Mazda shifter. Very nice.

The engine was smooth and revvy (very easy to rev-match and heel/toe), but not particularly powerful. I\'d put the power on par with an automatic Mazda3 GS/GX 2.0l (the Civic was manual). Steering was light - not light to the extent that it doesn\'t feel connected to anything (think Toyota Camry), but a bit lighter than what I prefer. Handling was pretty decent, though it lacked the tightness of the 3.

Considering the model I drove was the base starting at ~16k, I think it\'s a good buy. I\'d choose it over the Mazda3 GX/GS, but not the GT. Even the fully loaded EX model was ~22k, which is still cheaper than a 3 Sport GT. I can\'t wait to drive the Si when it arrives.

SABIO
10-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by autoexe
The interior looks better in person than in the pictures.......... The seats are pretty comfortable.........I can\'t wait to drive the Si when it arrives.

Why thank you :) All my hard work has earned a compliment.... The Si seats are the best!!! Alot firmer, nice seat and back bolsters too....

Si comming Dec 1st/05