PDA

View Full Version : Strut tower bars

Kevin@nextmod
11-09-2005, 07:02 PM
I have done some research on this forum and found things about the strut tower bar. Some said its just a placebo if they find a diff.
My question is with the ppl that have the strut installed, is there really a differnce? is it useful? should i get one or just get a better sway bar?
The searches only came out with personal thoughts and what they have heard. I really want to know if its useful as a fact. If not i\'m going to pass on that and just get a better sway or get some tints.

Also what kind of bars anything will help the 3 turn except putting coilovers or better shocks? i find my car have oversteering problems. Or i should say not as sharp. Will it be because my springs with stock shocks?
Anyone with only springs install have this problem?

Ex-Rolla
11-09-2005, 11:43 PM
I can\'t give you any \"technical\" data on the Strut bar, but from my experience, for daily driving, it is worthless. I can\'t feel the difference with the bar on/off. Maybe a defferent story if you autocross, but someone else with experience can confirm that.

You mentioned you have a slight oversteer... getting a \"thicker\" rear sway bar will increase the oversteer. You would have to get a front sway bar if you want to reduce oversteer, but I don\'t know of any companies that produce them. (eibach, but I\'ve given up on them... thay have been in development for over a year)

Ex

Mica3SGT
11-10-2005, 01:10 AM
Placebo effect on cars like the Mazda3 - but it sure dresses up the engine compartment!
Of course, adding additional stiffness in the front crossmembers can\'t hurt.
I feel more confident at high speeds on the on ramps with it. Since my P5 came with one standard - it was my only car that I didn\'t add a tower strut bar.
If you go for springs - add shocks at the same time and do a four wheel alignment. I\'m not going with any suspension changes this time around - my other car had a full race suspension (neuspeed/bilsteins with H&R race springs) and I found the ride too rough for everyday use. On the plus side - it cornered like a slot car.
Go for it - it\'s better than wasting the dough on drugs - that\'s my community message this week....

FLIPDADY
11-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Stop debating and just buy one.:sarc I have a Vibrant one in stock for $80. Sabio is also selling his OMP bar.

jdanielsg
11-15-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Stop debating and just buy one.:sarc I have a Vibrant one in stock for $80. Sabio is also selling his OMP bar.

wat other bars do u have? there r those that fit on the underneath in the back what r those.. do u have those?

Kevin@nextmod
11-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Thats called a sway bar

FLIPDADY
11-16-2005, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Pearl_Hatch

Thats called a sway bar
Don\'t forget the lower tie bars too.

TheProfessor
11-16-2005, 08:24 AM
I had a front upper, rear upper (for a period), and rear lower on my old civic. Couldn\'t get the front lower cause it wouldn\'t clear my downpipe. Anyways, even when all three bars were installed I barely noticed any difference, and even then, it could all have been my imagination. Do it if you like the look and can afford it.......it can\'t hurt. If you\'ve got the coin, sway bars will make a difference.

jdanielsg
11-16-2005, 09:53 AM

Thats called a sway bar

So does MOT sell these bars?

FLIPDADY
11-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by jdanielsg

Thats called a sway bar

So does MOT sell these bars?
I can order the Mazdaspeed sway bars for you. If you want the rear lower tie bar you\'ll have to source one aftermarket. Sway bars are a waste of coin if you ask me unless you go to the track or do a lot of high speed cornering.

SABIO
11-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Sway bars are a waste of coin if you ask me unless you go to the track or do a lot of high speed cornering.

Silly Boy... Silly silly boy. I guess you won\'t know until you have one. Just everyday driving... handling, cornering and steering response is improved. As soon as you put it in you can feel how the back end is more *connected.

FLIPDADY
11-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Like PSIVIC I had every bar you could put on my 99 EK Civic. Don\'t get me wrong the car handled well but I went to the track once a month. I was referring to everyday driving.

SABIO
11-16-2005, 02:46 PM
You my gripe about my 3..... anyway,, But there can be NO comparison between a Civic and a 3. You know that. Gee....... :)

FLIPDADY
11-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by SABIO

You my gripe about my 3..... anyway,, But there can be NO comparison between a Civic and a 3. You know that. Gee....... :)
I know SABIO just using that as an example.:)

active3s
02-02-2006, 09:22 AM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2161000-2161999/2161197_72_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2161000-2161999/2161197_69_full.jpg

BeanSoldier
03-12-2006, 12:39 AM
I\'ll start off with saying there IS a difference with my current setup with the RX8 wheels.
- Better turn in feel (not slow or weak feel)
- Front end feels more stable during hard turns
- Less bumpsteer- looks like the road imperfection\'s also being absorbed by the bar or being transmitted to the other tower

Strut bar with stock wheels? Tried it and no, it does absolutely nothing.
- Tire\'s high sidewall absorbs all the bumps, so there\'s not a lot of stress on the shock pushing against the tower

There\'s this annoying dip (a little more than a foot long, and convexed to about 2-3 inches in its lowest depth) that I always have to go through when I leave my coldasack (sp). It\'s just before a left turn starts, so I have to go through it at an angle instead of making a full turn (cause I\'m lazy or late for work). Doing this pretty much makes the passengers feel very uncomfortable since the car shakes like crazy. My girlfriend always yells at me when I do that at 15mph or more. Ever since I\'ve installed the strut bar, she stopped yelling at me over that dip since the car feels more \"firm\" going through it. I removed it 2 days ago just to see if it made a difference for her... and sure enough- she got mad. So I put it back on and she\'s been quiet ever since

I tried that same bump with the stock 16 in wheels with and without the bar and it actually felt like the chassis was twisting like crazy. It could just be the flexing on the 55mm stock profiles.

Here\'s my test if you want to see if your strut bar is working or not. Find a similar dip and cut through it at a 30-45 degree angle with a passenger at around 15-20mph [on or off the accelerator] without the bar, then the same speed with it on. The car will shake less with it on, especially if you have low profile tires (I had 225/40s, so big difference).

A passenger will be better in discerning the difference because they\'re not holding on to anything (like you bracing yourself against the steering wheel when you do something abruptly, like braking suddenly)-- so if they notice that difference, it\'s pretty significant.

Good luck with your test. For those without girlfriends but with strut bars, find someone. Those with girlfriends but no strut bar- life goes on.

bRANDO
03-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by BeanSoldier

For those without girlfriends but with strut bars, find someone. Those with girlfriends but no strut bar- life goes on.

amen