PDA

View Full Version : Car Wash at freezing temperatures.

malam
11-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I might ask this question here - What typical outside temperatures would you suggest NOT TO wash the car ? Why ?

Thanks.

I posted this earlier in a different thread but got only one response. I think the topic merits its own thread. With a manual car wash (coin operated) its very much of an issue. With a touchless car wash or automatic car was that has a blower to dry the car it may not be an issue, however the trunk and door locks could freez up. What are your experiences so far?

bubba1983
11-27-2005, 05:38 PM
as for locks freezing up....keeyless entry any one?

idreamofmazda
11-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by bubba1983

I typically don’t use the remote in the winter, so that the lock is well used and helps keep it from freezing.

majic
11-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by idreamofmazda

I typically don’t use the remote in the winter, so that the lock is well used and helps keep it from freezing.

umm weird reasoning but sure.. i only use the keyfob.. no matter what time of year..

bubba1983
11-29-2005, 04:19 AM
i havn\'t used driverside doorlock since i bought teh car...

Zaku_4
11-29-2005, 11:52 AM

i havn\'t used driverside doorlock since i bought teh car...

same.

same.

same.

same..........

and lastly,

same.

EDIT: also i dont use the carwashes when it gets below freezing tempurature for water

Junior
12-17-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by malam

I posted this earlier in a different thread but got only one response. I think the topic merits its own thread. With a manual car wash (coin operated) its very much of an issue. With a touchless car wash or automatic car was that has a blower to dry the car it may not be an issue, however the trunk and door locks could freez up. What are your experiences so far?

i think u only got one answer cause there\'s not much to it. If it\'s freezing out and you want to stand in a coin-op to wash your car, then that\'s your choice. As far as shit freezing.. that\'s expected cause it is so darn cold out... dont worry man, if you wash your car in the cold it wont blow up.

feel better?

Mica3SGT
12-18-2005, 12:15 AM
salt buildup - wash regardless of temp. Yeah, it\'s kinda cold in the %^#*&$@ coin op - but I\'m Canadian and proud to stand up to natures worst when it comes to keeping my car clean as any self respecting car crazy guy would do.

If I wanted the good life I\'d be in the Caymans lounging on a beach, safe in the fact that I would pay zero taxes - of course I could go to Alberta for tax relief but I\'d still be (kinda)cold washing my 3 in the coin op......;)

Kevin@nextmod
12-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Anyone with lowered cars have any problems going to gas station car wash? Not talking about the coin-op ones. Will the track scratch rims?

bluntman
12-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Pearl_Hatch

Anyone with lowered cars have any problems going to gas station car wash? Not talking about the coin-op ones. Will the track scratch rims?

That\'s why we have this (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=1180). :)

Kevin@nextmod
12-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Yes i\'ve read that but the thing is there is a few around my area with rails and they do clean very well. And I don\'t want to go that far for a car wash so I\'m asking if anyone have problems going to rails with lowering springs.:) Also i have like 4000 points for esso for free protection wash. And the gas station close to me happens to be esso.:)

FLIPDADY
12-19-2005, 11:30 AM
A lot of the new car washes are going railless b/c of lowered cars. I wouldn\'t worry about the rails with the H-techs b/c I went to a Shell carwash that had rails with no problems.

Kevin@nextmod
12-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

A lot of the new car washes are going railless b/c of lowered cars. I wouldn\'t worry about the rails with the H-techs b/c I went to a Shell carwash that had rails with no problems.
Alright thanks a lot, I\'ll go ahead with the wash then. :)

FLIPDADY
12-19-2005, 11:36 AM
Just stick your head out the window and line up the tires with the rail. I opened my door just to make sure the ground clearance was okay.

Kevin@nextmod
12-19-2005, 11:47 AM

Just stick your head out the window and line up the tires with the rail. I opened my door just to make sure the ground clearance was okay.
I think I\'ll be ok with the lining up part because that place have the attendant there to help line up and punch in the code.
But thanks for the heads up
:)

thr33scompany
12-20-2005, 08:34 AM
I\'ve noticed that after I washed my car in the coin-op.... my brakes squeak now... I already got them resurfaced late summer. Can this be due to the fact that my brakes are super hot and then I\'m spraying them down with water causing warping?

FLIPDADY
12-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by thr33scompany

I\'ve noticed that after I washed my car in the coin-op.... my brakes squeak now... I already got them resurfaced late summer. Can this be due to the fact that my brakes are super hot and then I\'m spraying them down with water causing warping?
It will go away once you\'ve heated them up.

wtom
12-22-2005, 05:29 PM

Will the track scratch rims?

Dude you still don\'t have your winters on?!? :p

FLIPDADY
12-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by wtom

Will the track scratch rims?

Dude you still don\'t have your winters on?!? :p
He\'s busy ricing up his car.

First things first right?:D

///M
12-25-2005, 11:30 AM

I scraped at an Esso wash with my old AutoExe springs, and have since avoided washes with rails like the plague. I wouldn\'t even try with my current setup.

DrunknFoo
01-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Ask around, you may find some condo\'s throughout the GTA that has an indoor coin-op car wash system in their basement parking. i.e. (Warden/Steeles, Bamburgh/Bridletowne Place).

Although ambient temps in the basement parking lot was about 7degrees, the water comming out was quite cool and started to freeze. If you have 2 ppl, 1 to rinse and 1 to dry quickly, there shouldn\'t be too much of an issue.

There was a saying that washing your car during the winter is bad for clear coat/paint and can lead to rusting. Could be true?, doubt it though. If so, just make sure that there isnt any ice over/covered on any paint chips that haven\'t been touched up and dry it completely i guess...

Domokun
01-18-2006, 10:08 AM
During winter seasons I go to Sunoco\'s touchless wash regardless of temperature (Hwy 7 & Young). If you buy their Ultra wash, the machine washes the car twice + underside and blow dry the car for 1 minute which keeps the water from freezing. Their Supreme wash does the same thing but adds stupid cheap waxes.

///M
01-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Domokun

During winter seasons I go to Sunoco\'s touchless wash regardless of temperature (Hwy 7 & Young). If you buy their Ultra wash, the machine washes the car twice + underside and blow dry the car for 1 minute which keeps the water from freezing. Their Supreme wash does the same thing but adds stupid cheap waxes.

Does that wash have rails? Last time I passed by I wanted to try it but it was closed for maintainance.