PDA

View Full Version : Flip key for the Mazda 3 - install instructions

Mica3SGT
12-31-2005, 07:59 PM
FOUND THIS ON THE OTHER MAZDA 3 FORUM

Part Numbers needed in order to make a flip key work with the Mazda 3 are as follows:

Key Blank = G2YA-76-2GXA (part number from the Mazda5. $US35)
Key Fob Remote = D436 67 5RY (Japan Domestic Market fob for 3. Approx $US90)
Local locksmith will be needed to cut the blank key.

Key Fob can be ordered from http://www.japanparts.com.
Follow directions on page (http://japanparts.com/Howtoorder.htm)

Programming the Key to the car:
Items needed:
1. 2 pre-programmed transponder keys.
2. 1 new transponder key

The timing is critical to this procedure, read through entire procedure before attempting.
Procedure:
1. Insert one of the pre-programmed transponder keys and turn the ignition to \"on\", leave on for at least one second (I wait until the red key symbol in the instrument cluster extinguishes), remove the key from the ignition.
2. Within 5 seconds insert the second pre-programmed key and turn the ignition to \"on\" for at least one second but no more than 5 seconds (use the key symbol for this as well) then remove the second key.
3. within 10 seconds insert the new key in the ignition and turn the ignition to \"on\", if you are successful the red key symbol will illuminate then extinguish after about a second.

If you are not successful the red key symbol will flash repeatedly to indicate that you have inserted an invalid key. Remove the key, wait a minute and try it again, may take a few times to get it perfect.

Found this on the other forum - sounds like an intriguing mod...

Programming the Remote to the car:
Have all the remotes that you are going to be using, maximum of 3, with you when you do this programming as all of them have to be reprogrammed into memory.
Step 1: Open driver side door and leave open.
Step 2: Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door
Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.
Step 4: Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position.
Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off) position.
Step 5: Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after this step
Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors once.
Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.
Step 8: Additional remotes, repeat Step 7 for up to 3 remotes total.
Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks.
You are done!

These are the exact steps in order to get a flip key that will work with the Mazda 3.

FYI: The Mazda5 keyfob remote does not work. The JDM key fob remote part number is (D436 67 5RY) Can our local Mazda parts department order this as a group buy?

TheProfessor
01-01-2006, 04:45 AM
Seems like a lot of time and money just to have a different style of key.

Broli
01-02-2006, 01:56 AM
this would be a flip key like the VW/Audi?

and yeah that does seem like a lot of work
and a lot of money for that

but, i the price got low enough i would consider it

FLIPDADY
01-03-2006, 07:52 AM
The only way to get the key fob is to source one from ebay or a JDM parts importer. I have inquired about creating the part number but it\'s a Japan market part only.

Programming the remote and the key is easy and if you do end up getting a hold of one I can cut it for you.