PDA

View Full Version : Progress sway bar or Strut tower bar???

tommy36
01-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Reading everyones articles i am under the impression that the progress sway bar makes more of a noticeable difference in performance than the strut bar is this true? Does anyone think that the strut bar would be a better buy. If it is as good as everyone says it is, and i can get it to my door in Buffalo for $135.00, then it would be well worth it right?

SW20 MR2
01-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Unless your car\'s chassis is made of playdoh, a swaybar will always be a better mod than a strutbar. IMO, strutbars are virtually useless on most cars. You may notice a slight difference, but nothing big. On the other hand, a swaybar will probably make you say \"holy crap\" the first time you take your car hard through a corner. On my old Civic, the swaybar was my favourite out of every mod that I did on the car.

MajesticBlueNTO
01-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by SW20 MR2

Unless your car\'s chassis is made of playdoh, a swaybar will always be a better mod than a strutbar. IMO, strutbars are virtually useless on most cars. You may notice a slight difference, but nothing big. On the other hand, a swaybar will probably make you say \"holy crap\" the first time you take your car hard through a corner. On my old Civic, the swaybar was my favourite out of every mod that I did on the car.

+1 ...couldn\'t agree more.

MaxRPM
01-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Learning how to drive at a good performance or race school will make YOU handle any car better. The best mod available to make any car go faster, DRIVING SKILL.:D

majic
01-05-2006, 10:42 AM
a swaybar will probably make you say \"holy crap\" the first time you take your car hard through a corner.

that \"holy crap\" turned into \"oh shit oh shit\" and then a huge grin on my face :D :D :D

Whos ur dadd
01-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by majic

that \"holy crap\" turned into \"oh shit oh shit\" and then a huge grin on my face :D :D :D

too bad you bailed on the second group buy. You coulda had the new model bar instead of the older, inferior bar. Sure, six months later, but the new model nonetheless!

MAZDA Kitten
01-05-2006, 11:17 AM

a swaybar will probably make you say \"holy crap\" the first time you take your car hard through a corner.

Note to self: Never allow majic to take me on a \'spirited drive\' with his \'new toy\' (****er

http://www.vwvortex.com/vwbb/sly.gif)

Cardinal Fang
01-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

Note to self: Never allow majic to take me on a \'spirited drive\' with his \'new toy\' (****er

Must...

Resist....

Urge.....

To post....

Snarky......

Remark.....

:D

SW20 MR2
01-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Has anyone here installed a swaybar without lowering the car? It\'s generally not recommended, at least for Honda\'s, but not sure for MZ3\'s. If anyone has done it, how much did it stiffen up the car in terms of ride comfort?

majic
01-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Cardinal Fang

Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

Must...

Resist....

Urge.....

To post....

Snarky......

Remark.....

:D

lol.. come on Agatha... you know it was FUN!! :D

Has anyone here installed a swaybar without lowering the car? It\'s generally not recommended, at least for Honda\'s, but not sure for MZ3\'s. If anyone has done it, how much did it stiffen up the car in terms of ride comfort?

this is exactly what i did..

i didn\'t want to lower my car all year round and i didn\'t feel like swapping springs each season and coilovers are too $$$ for me. i drove MK\'s lowered sedan (on STechs and stock tires, with the RSB) and i loved it.. then i drove my hatch (on high performance winter tires, stock height, with the RSB) and i noticed MUCH less body roll (could also be the fact i have the hatch and it seems like the rear end is a bit \'looser\' so the RSB tightened things up a bit *shut up fang!* :D .. i did lose some control on the first corner i took (wasn\'t even that fast but it was like YOY!) but since then my onramp speeds have increased by about 10kph or so :D and twisties kick ass!

ride comfort is as good as stock (since no change to the springs) that\'s why i love it.. but the back end is stiffer in the corners - does exactly what it was deasigned to do :D

Whos ur dadd
01-05-2006, 01:35 PM
^^ hey, didn\'t you buy lowering springs?

MaxRPM
01-05-2006, 01:53 PM

No offense but where do people come up with this shit?

Ride height has no bearing WRT a Roll Bar is a good or bad thing, on a Honda or any car.

SW20 MR2
01-05-2006, 04:24 PM
You\'re right. It doesn\'t have anything to do with ride height. It has to do with the stiffness of the springs and pressure on the subframe. A stiffer spring will compress less, and this will put more load/stress on the swaybar, which in turn puts more load on the subframe. Subframe tearing is my concern.

Originally posted by MaxRPM
No offense but where do people come up with this shit?

Ride height has no bearing WRT a Roll Bar is a good or bad thing, on a Honda or any car.

SW20 MR2
01-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Thanks, majic. Is the car pretty neutral now or does it still understeer?

majic
01-05-2006, 04:56 PM

actually in my case (an onramp) the car oversteered a tad (rear tires lost grip/fishtailed)

bluntman
01-05-2006, 08:14 PM

actually in my case (an onramp) the car oversteered a tad (rear tires lost grip/fishtailed)

OK, now you\'re scaring me! What setting are you using on the swaybar?

tommy36
01-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I was pretty much set on buying the sway bar anyways, because i like to drive my 3 like it was meant to be driven. So the sway bar will increase the enjoyment while cruising on the thruway changing lanes, etc.