PDA

View Full Version : Rear Pads almost gone at 32 500 Km

ZOOM ON 3
01-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Took my car to Avante for an oil change...and they looked at the rear pads. The pads have about 2-3mm left. The advisor told me that I can go for a couple of more months, but then to change them.
They wanted about $285.00 to change the rear pads and to machine the rotors.

Is that normal for this car or is it because the back pads are pretty small....
Time to go for aftermarket...looking at Hawk pads or trying to find out if KVR makes any pads for this car yet...

PlatMS6
01-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by ZOOM ON 3

Took my car to Avante for an oil change...and they looked at the rear pads. The pads have about 2-3mm left. The advisor told me that I can go for a couple of more months, but then to change them.

Time to go for aftermarket...looking at Hawk pads or trying to find out if KVR makes any pads for this car yet...

yep when they changed my rears at 50k there was only a \"film\" left....not even measureable, the fronts had alot left, but were changed anyways along with the rotors at about 52k mainly because the rotors were warped

Junior
01-14-2006, 11:28 PM

it\'s not unusual for brakes to be nearing the end of the line at 30km.
and if the advisor told you that there\'s only 2 or 3 mm left, i wouldn\'t wait do them now, or risk messing the rotors when they do wear completely down and start making contact. Then you\';ll need new rotors as well as pads. Turning the rotors (aka machining the rotors) is a good idead, but only if it\'s required, gotta check them for grooves/warping.

is your car an auto? if yes, then that could also be a factor for the brakes to be done much quicker, since in manual mode, peeps use donwnshifting to slow the car down, as opposed to always hammering the brakes.

As for whcih pads to go with, my personal preference would be to try the Hawk HPS (high performmance street), less noise, and not soo mcuh brake dust, performs the same as stock.

From what I\'ve read, the KVR are really shitty, noisy and dirty, and needing replacing to frequently.

these are just my findings, through reading and such, but get those brakes changed NOW!

SGT06
01-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Mazda 3 brake pads are crap because they removed Zinc from the original compound in order to be environmental friendly. I was told the engineers are still trying to figure out how to uncrap the problem.

thekid
01-17-2006, 08:23 AM
It\'s always a good idea to have your rotors turned/machined when changing pads so that the new pads have a clean surface to establish a bond with the rotors during the brake in (bedding) procedure. Be sure that the new pads are properly bedded otherwise it could lead to accelerated wear and squeeking.

swales
01-18-2006, 07:56 AM
The Mazda 3 brake pads aren\'t the best, but I have a feeling a lot of it has to do with people ridding their brakes. I just had my 48k service, and I was prepared to hear that my rear brake pads needed to be replaced (so I ordered some EBC pads) but to my surprise I still have 70% left (I have an \'04).

MajesticBlueNTO
01-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by swales

The Mazda 3 brake pads aren\'t the best, but I have a feeling a lot of it has to do with people ridding their brakes. I just had my 48k service, and I was prepared to hear that my rear brake pads needed to be replaced (so I ordered some EBC pads) but to my surprise I still have 70% left (I have an \'04).

quite possibly could be people riding their brakes...here\'s some pics of my rear pads after ~57K of mostly highway driving.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_165_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_166_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_171_full.jpg

however, I did feel a reduction in braking performance prior to changing to the EBCs.

ZOOM ON 3
01-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys...I just ordered Hawk pads for the rears....how much can Flipspeed sell us the OEM rotors for the Mazda 3 GT Sedan for...

FLIPDADY
01-20-2006, 08:52 AM

Thanks guys...I just ordered Hawk pads for the rears....how much can Flipspeed sell us the OEM rotors for the Mazda 3 GT Sedan for...
Why don\'t you ask him?

billyfo
01-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Flip, how much usually dealer charge for install the aftermarket pads and if needed, machine the rear rotors?

ZOOM ON 3
01-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Sorry Joe...

I saw somewhere in the forums that the rear discs are around $62 or 63 dollars plus taxes.
Can you let me know so that I can come by and pick up one set for my car...

Thanks

Vito:)

civiclad
01-24-2006, 03:25 PM
This might not be related to your problem. I had an issue, every time I changed from Drive to Reverse, there was a click coming from the rear brakes. I found out from this the URL below that there was a problem with the way the rear pads were mounted. Informed my dealership (Airport Mazda,) rear pads were ordered and installed and the clicking sound has stopped.

Anways, back to the original question, I was speaking to the Mazda tech and he did mention, \"original pads were manufactured using a different compound.\" In addition, your issue could be related to your driving conditions (city as opposed to highway driving.)

I have almost 35K on my car and the Tech did say there was approx 60% left on my old rear brake pads.

Mazda3 Bulletins (http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/bulletins_index.html)

FLIPDADY
01-24-2006, 04:12 PM

Sorry Joe...

I saw somewhere in the forums that the rear discs are around $62 or 63 dollars plus taxes.
Can you let me know so that I can come by and pick up one set for my car...

Thanks

Hey Vito, the rear discs for the GT model will cost you $62.78 each plus tax of course. I got a set in stock.

ZOOM ON 3
01-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks Joe,

I will call you on Wednesday to order a set.
Can I pick them up on Saturday afternoon. I work until 1:00 PM, but can pick them up after that time...

Thanks again

FLIPDADY
01-25-2006, 08:00 AM

Thanks Joe,

I will call you on Wednesday to order a set.
Can I pick them up on Saturday afternoon. I work until 1:00 PM, but can pick them up after that time...

Thanks again

No problem Vito!

ZOOM ON 3
01-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks Joe for setting aside the rotors...picked them up Saturday afternoon

eguiyab
01-31-2006, 06:45 PM
LOL.. I just got my rear disks and pads replaced yesterday at MOT. I had 43000+ on the car. I was down to nothing. Good thing I ran into JOE!!! Man, our TM3 discount sure came in handy. But the car feels so much better now. Unfortunately, brakes are something that we cant do without.

SABIO
01-31-2006, 09:24 PM
..ummm.. nothing