PDA

View Full Version : Fixing that squeal

vortex-5
02-25-2006, 09:37 PM
I haven\'t done this to my 3 yet I should but it\'s only 2 months old. On my old minivan however I applied some of this stuff (http://www.permatex.com/images/catalog/special/82017.jpg) it seemed to have worked pretty well. I guess the question I have here is do any of you forsee this fix voiding my warrenty. It seems dealers are quick to void your warranty at the first sign. Anyways even if they will I\'ll try and coax them into applying it at my next oil change either that or get them to replace the part.

My minivan used to squeal after that stuff it\'s super silent. Now my Mazda 3 is a screaming banshee which is embarassing considering the minivan seems like a stealth fighter along side the noisy 3 Jumbo jet brakes.

If any of you guys are already not on the dealer service plan I\'d highly recommend this fix seeing how it completely removed the squeal from the minivan (it takes about a day to settle in so you\'ll get squeals still just after applying).

I bought it off CT for about $4 - 6 so it\'s a reasonably cheap fix as well. Oh, and it seems to work better when the glue is tacky not completely dry or liquidy. I used a hairdryer to speed up the drying because I have no patience.

john_ertw
02-26-2006, 03:15 PM
I\'m going to give this stuff a shot when the weather warms up a little. I have a bottle that I have used in the past on another vehicle. That vehicle didn\'t really have a problem, but I figured it\'s a cheap way to ensure there are no squeels. With the Mazda though, I\'m hopeing this stuff can eliminate or at least greatly reduce the squeel. Let me know your results when you try it.

majic
02-26-2006, 06:25 PM
old news :)

step 14 here (http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=4337)

vortex-5
02-26-2006, 11:24 PM
I understand the old news part however some threads are buried pages deep and quite honestly, a revist to the subject couldn\'t hurt. I did see that post before posting this one that post reminded me that I still had a bottle.

Maj I don\'t understand your need to constantly raise your someone talked about this before flag. Because it IS good to have a new thread start up after an old one has long gone stale. After all this is a forum. If this was a wikipedia I\'d understand.

On top of that not all of use can prowl all forum categories some of us just stay in specific areas so we don\'t see all the post at once. I personally don\'t see the moderators need to forcibly consolidate all related entries that I\'ve seen done so often here.

majic
02-27-2006, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by vortex-5

I understand the old news part however some threads are buried pages deep and quite honestly, a revist to the subject couldn\'t hurt. I did see that post before posting this one that post reminded me that I still had a bottle.

we were just reorgnaizing the How-To area and that post came up and i saw the bottle.. sometimes people don\'t believe newbs right away so i figured MBN, a seasoned member, would add some credibility to your post ;)

Maj I don\'t understand your need to constantly raise your someone talked about this before flag. Because it IS good to have a new thread start up after an old one has long gone stale. After all this is a forum. If this was a wikipedia I\'d understand.

this is what happens.. there\'s a first post on say \"will a mod void my warranty\" (or any other topic for that matter) it\'ll get answered and beaten to death.. then a newb comes along, without searching posts that same question and most people won\'t repost the complete info or wishy washy answers.. another newb comes around a few weeks later and asks the same b/c the last one was incomplete.. you see what i\'m getting at? a bunch of started topics and a lot of confusion.. in any event, i didn\'t close this thread so refer to the first paragraph (also b/c a howto should just contain the step by steps and clarifications) .. and it is a wiki of sorts, just wiith a lot of chatter around the informational topics..

On top of that not all of use can prowl all forum categories some of us just stay in specific areas so we don\'t see all the post at once. I personally don\'t see the moderators need to forcibly consolidate all related entries that I\'ve seen done so often here.

maybe you should then ;) this is why this (http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/search.php) should be your best friend.. i know engineering can get lonely at times ;)

vortex-5
02-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by majic

friend.. i know engineering can get lonely at times ;)

??

john_ertw
03-12-2006, 07:29 PM
I have seen recommendations to using this stuff several times both here and on other Mazda 3 forums, but have never actually read about anyone who used it on their Mazda 3 with the stock brake pads. Has anyone ever taken the calipers off, applied this stuff to their stock pads and just put everything back together on a Mazda 3? If so can you tell everyone if it stopped the squeeking or even helped at all? I plan on trying this stuff on the 3 when I get a chance, but it may be a while (not untill it warms up). When I do, I\'ll give my experience although the weather will probably have warmed up which means the squeeking will not be that bad to begin with.