PDA

View Full Version : ETB stepped engine reving?

vortex-5
03-20-2006, 11:00 AM
I was kinda curious it seems the engine revs in steps when you are in gear on the Mz3-auto

There\'s a distinctive difference where the tach will go from 2.5K to 3K then jump to 4.5K. Some called the jump the WOT as I have read.

Not calling this an issue but anyone have a clue why the designers designed it like this?

sometimes when I\'m trying to modulate speed on the high way and need to accellerate it\'s be a game of:

a little faster,
a little faster,
a little faster,
... WOT ...

Ok too fast there.

with the trottle.

majic
03-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by vortex-5

I was kinda curious it seems the engine revs in steps when you are in gear on the Mz3-auto

There\'s a distinctive difference where the tach will go from 2.5K to 3K then jump to 4.5K. Some called the jump the WOT as I have read.

Not calling this an issue but anyone have a clue why the designers designed it like this?

sometimes when I\'m trying to modulate speed on the high way and need to accellerate it\'s be a game of:

a little faster,
a little faster,
a little faster,
... WOT ...

Ok too fast there.

with the trottle.

jumping 1500rpm? that\'s a lot.. when i floor it, around 4200 IIRC the engine does become much more responsive (louder growl) which is due to the advanced timing of the cams.. i can\'t find any concrete info on when the SV-T kicks in but one site states 3K to just over 5K so this could be the \'jerk\' (albeit not as huge as 1-2 shift) you\'re experiencing

vortex-5
03-20-2006, 02:33 PM
I\'m not talking about 1-2 shift I\'m talking about the RPM\'s in my post.

But yes it seems to jump in 1000 - 1500 rpm increments.

I know it\'s not a problem just curious as to why this design. I know when I have the car out of gear I can get a very smooth rev all the way up to 6000rpm. but in gear it seems to like to do jumping. Maybe a sudden TC unlock would cause it?

But I also seem to be able to get it to do steps at speeds of 50km/h (obviously it won\'t go up to 4500rpm but could hit 3000 from 2400 in a single jump.)

It seems that when I flip the car over to manual it\'s more calm on this aspect I won\'t get no sudden jumps so I\'m assuming the auto is doing something else based on how hard I press the throttle.

majic
03-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by vortex-5

I\'m not talking about 1-2 shift I\'m talking about the RPM\'s in my post.

But yes it seems to jump in 1000 - 1500 rpm increments.

I know it\'s not a problem just curious as to why this design. I know when I have the car out of gear I can get a very smooth rev all the way up to 6000rpm. but in gear it seems to like to do jumping. Maybe a sudden TC unlock would cause it?

But I also seem to be able to get it to do steps at speeds of 50km/h (obviously it won\'t go up to 4500rpm but could hit 3000 from 2400 in a single jump.)

It seems that when I flip the car over to manual it\'s more calm on this aspect I won\'t get no sudden jumps so I\'m assuming the auto is doing something else based on how hard I press the throttle.

dude.. you\'re confused/cunfusing.. take a video of what really happens and post it..

i don\'t think you read my sentence properly.. i\'m NOT talking about 1-2 shift.. i am merely COMPARING it to the sudden power you get going from 1->2 (then again i have 5MT so it\'s different) .. read my sentence w/o the bracket.. and then with the bracket as an \'explanation/comparison\' to the \'jerk\' you\'re exeriencing..

\"[change in cam timing]... ...could be the \'jerk\' (albeit not as huge as 1-2 shift) you\'re experiencing