PDA

View Full Version : Rear Rotors Issue

KC-01
03-20-2006, 12:42 PM
Here\'s the thing,

I brought my 3 into service for 48000 KM last month and they said that I would need to replace the rear brake pads as they were gone and also the rotors as well due to some grooving. This was done while my winter tires and steelies were on, so I didn\'t really check out the new rotors after the job was done. However, this past weekend I decided to put the summer tires back on and noticed that the rear rotors which were replaced are a bit smaller than the front two? I was wondering if anyone knows if this would affect the brakes in any way (i\'ve had no problems so far after they were replaced). So other than visually having unbalanced rotors, everything else seems ok... I haven\'t had a chance to call up the services department at Prima Mazda yet, but will do so today..
I was thinking they may have made a mistake with the size of the rotors, as my car has the stock 17\" rims/tires.

majic
03-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by KC-01

Here\'s the thing,

I brought my 3 into service for 48000 KM last month and they said that I would need to replace the rear brake pads as they were gone and also the rotors as well due to some grooving. This was done while my winter tires and steelies were on, so I didn\'t really check out the new rotors after the job was done. However, this past weekend I decided to put the summer tires back on and noticed that the rear rotors which were replaced are a bit smaller than the front two? I was wondering if anyone knows if this would affect the brakes in any way (i\'ve had no problems so far after they were replaced). So other than visually having unbalanced rotors, everything else seems ok... I haven\'t had a chance to call up the services department at Prima Mazda yet, but will do so today..
I was thinking they may have made a mistake with the size of the rotors, as my car has the stock 17\" rims/tires.

rear rotors ARE (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=2328) smaller than the fronts..

EDIT: most of the braking happens with your front pads/rotors.. the rears wear out faster and groove the rotors easier b/c they are semi metallic..