PDA

View Full Version : Scuff Marks

fourtrack78
03-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Anyone know how to remove scuff marks? They are not that noticeable but it annoys because its there. Should i just wait for my next oil change and let the dealer buff it out?
what do you guy think i should do.

TheProfessor
03-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Where exactly are the scuff marks?

FLIPDADY
03-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Pics please, this would help us help you.;)

vortex-5
03-24-2006, 10:29 AM
ditto on the pics.

If found a small scratch and some hazing on my rear light so I just used some plastic polish and an orbital buffer and it did a great job, completely eliminated the minor scratch.

I\'ve heard alot of references to scratchX for auto body. Personally I use turtle wax polish with a buffer and it does the same job (make sure it\'s clearcoat safe before you do it).

For the plastic pieces there\'s not much youc an do but give it a good wash with soap and water.

But picks would definetly help us with your solution

TheProfessor
03-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Well, not sure he\'s gonna respond anytime soon, but I have found that the Mr. Clean magic eraser works wonders on getting scuff marks out. I used it on my MZ6 when I sold it as there were a number of scuff marks on the door sill from my clunky feet hitting it over a two year period. The eraser took that stuff out with little to no effort!

fourtrack78
03-24-2006, 10:51 AM
I\'ll get pics up this weekend

fourtrack78
03-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Mr. Clean magic eraser works wonders on getting scuff marks out

Is that ok to use on the clear coat?

TheProfessor
03-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by fourtrack78

Mr. Clean magic eraser works wonders on getting scuff marks out

Is that ok to use on the clear coat?

I was concerned about that but it seemed to be fine on the inside of the door jam. At worst I would suspect that the area would require a fresk waxing.

fourtrack78
03-24-2006, 02:21 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/fourtrack78/DSCN3659.jpg

I hope can see it. I know its not that bad.

TheProfessor
03-24-2006, 02:33 PM
I don\'t think my magic eraser thing will work on that, but it does look like a good polishing/waxing will take care of it.

Fuel90
03-27-2006, 05:37 PM
high speed rotary buffer and medium/heavy cut compound will make that dissapear... (if you don\'t have the means to do that the dealership will). Other wise meguiars has a \'professional\' line of products (In beige bottles) that you could try your luck with. Use a wax applicator pad and go to it by hand. Chances are for scratches like that you will need the high speed buffing though. Or at least I would recommend it!

Others suggest Scratch-X. I havn\'t used it myself but it may well be the best method of removing a scratch by hand.

Good luck!

vortex-5
03-27-2006, 11:32 PM
I agree there are pads that will convert your drill to a buffer I find for most cases if you don\'t have a buffer this is sufficient. Just make sure you get teh right type of buffing pad for the job.

I got mine from Crappy Tire for $6-7 so it\'s not an expensive option if you already have a drill.

fourtrack78
03-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks for input guys. I might buy the Pad from Canadain tire and stick it on the drill. I\'ll let you know how it turns.

skunk2
03-29-2006, 09:13 AM
i would try sratch x first before anything else. i\'ve taken out sratches/scuffs worse than that by hand, it took a while but it worked. its also the least abrasive.