PDA

View Full Version : Rust on wheel shaft connectoid

SGT06
03-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Not sure if this is common on the MZ3 but less than 2 weeks after getting the new car, i noticed some rust were developing on the shaft end connected to the wheel visible only after having new winter and steelies installed. It has been a couple month since and I notice the rust are more rampant. Is this normal ?

What about safety factor ? A few days ago, I saw an import car with a wheel broke off the shaft in the middle of the road and I am thinking this could be the problem area as the car ages.

ds2chan
03-28-2006, 02:09 PM
it\'s part showing is shaped like a bowl (or concave in; I think that\'s the term), right??

if so, then I think it\'s normal.. when I changed over to my winter rims and tires (after only 3 1/2 months of owning the car) there was already rust on it..

FLIPDADY
03-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Normal.

SGT06
03-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the responses. Just hope it will not be a major issue say 5 years down the road.

Think the incidents I witnessed just had me a bit worried.

Ex-Rolla
03-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by SGT06

Thanks for the responses. Just hope it will not be a major issue say 5 years down the road.

Beginning of winter, I sprayed some grease on it... didn\'t rust all winter and the grease stayed on. I sprayed it some more before putting my summers back on.

Just a suggestion. ;)

ds2chan
03-31-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Rolla

Originally posted by SGT06

Beginning of winter, I sprayed some grease on it... didn\'t rust all winter and the grease stayed on. I sprayed it some more before putting my summers back on.

Just a suggestion. ;)

isn\'t grease a solid substance?? is this stuff found at canadian tire?? is it some sort of tire lube or something?? thanks..

Ex-Rolla
03-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by ds2chan

isn\'t grease a solid substance?? is this stuff found at canadian tire?? is it some sort of tire lube or something?? thanks..

Sorry, I guess i could have been a little more specific...

The grease is in the form of a aerosol can. I think it\'s called White Grease, or Lithium grease. I tried looking for it on CT\'s Website, but was unable to find it. It is in the automotive section. I have a can at home, so If i get the chance, I\'ll take a pic and post it up. Maybe someone else can find a link to it.

FLIPDADY
04-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Normally techs put copper grease around that area. We have this in a spray form to prevent corrosion.