PDA

View Full Version : Damaged CAI

eguiyab
04-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Hey everyone. When I first got my 3 I picked up a AEM CAI pretty much when they first came out. This was before they made both the ATX and the Manual versions.
I unfortunately have a ATX and installed the 5sp CAI anyway... as did some people did. I tried to ensure that there was enough clearance from the large bolt on the atx tranny that caused problems with the install. I had about 1/2 inch clearance and supported it well away... however.
Overtime of about 1.5 years I have this. This CAI has been out of my car for a while, since the start of my CEL issues.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/eguiyab/20060412_0035.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/eguiyab/20060412_0036.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/eguiyab/20060412_0037.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/eguiyab/20060412_0038.jpg

The hole was caused by the bolt butting up against the CAI and heating it up or contantly being hit against it as the rpms increased. The \"dent\" was caused by a miss placed strike by a very very hard mallet in order to remove the barometer sensor upon removal.

I was disscussing this with a relative of mine... I feel that the CAI is toast.. useless.
But he claims that the hole can be patched with \"exhuast\" tape and that the dent is superfical and will hardly effect the actual function of the CAI....

The cone is perfectly fine, aside from needing to be cleaned. What are peoples thoughts? opinions or suggestions?? fix it or toss it?

Thanx

Emmanuel.

DrunknFoo
04-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Weld it shut and dent it a little so that the bolt doesnt bust a hole in it again.
I think it should be fine.

TheProfessor
04-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Technically the more reputable companies who make intakes say that they put a ton of R&D into the flow characteristics of their units. A dent like the one you pictured could likely affect the power gains, though who really knows. I would just patch the hole up, install it and see how it feels. If all is good, then great. If not, then just take it off and try and sell it on eBay!

chinsterr
04-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by PSIVIC

Technically the more reputable companies who make intakes say that they put a ton of R&D into the flow characteristics of their units. A dent like the one you pictured could likely affect the power gains, though who really knows. I would just patch the hole up, install it and see how it feels. If all is good, then great. If not, then just take it off and try and sell it on eBay!

i dont know if the power gain of 2hp can be felt :sarc

if it can be fixed for free then do it . Otherwise toss it (IMO)

TheProfessor
04-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by chinsterr
i dont know if the power gain of 2hp can be felt :sarc

Hey, you don\'t need to tell me about the pathetic gains an intake provides (if any at all). I just mentioned it because presumably that is why the intake was purchased in the first place.

chinsterr
04-13-2006, 08:18 AM
lol

Take it ez .

I just think that its not worth doing since the problem will mosty likely occur again (5sp CAI in an ATX car)

Does he really want to go to the trouble of uninstalling/installing his CAI if this happens again ?

Might be better off getting an intake which is actually made for his tranny, thats if he still wants a CAI in his car

** thank god i didnt buy sabio\'s CAI or i would have experienced this problem also

FLIPDADY
04-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Just chop it and make it a short ram.

eguiyab
04-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Just chop it and make it a short ram.

LOL. Good thinking Joe. :p

Eh.. as far as what I initially bought it for, just mainly the first mod and a bit of a butt dyno increase. I doubt unless I can really salvage it I may not put it back in. I dont like the thought of a \"Patched\" up part being placed in my car. If I I can get it welded properly that maybe a different story.

I may just save up for a new mazdaspeed one since they are available now and forget the hassle.
I\'m also afraid that if a tiny sliver around the hole were to get dislodged.. if it would get sucked into the throttle body and do any damage... That definetly wouldn\'t be worth patching it up.

We\'ll have to see... ill keep you updated