PDA

View Full Version : Dont know where to invest my money

LegoMan
04-17-2006, 12:14 PM
I dont know where to start as far as mods. Appearence is not of big importance. But I would like to get some performance. I got $700 to spend, and I would like to stick it under the hood and increase my HP, Torque and hopefully gas mileage (since oil hit the +$70/barrel mark)

I was looking at the Sun Hyper Grounding and Hyper Voltage kits, but not sure if its a wise investment. I would like to get legit parts and have Mazda install them so it wont void my warranty.

majic
04-17-2006, 12:19 PM
lol.. i was going to tell u to check out the financial chit chat thread.. :p and car mods aren\'t really an investment BUT... here we go..

good tires will run you about 700 (and by good the rs-as are about a 1 on 1-10 scale)

intake/header/exhaust - 200/?/6-800 ROUGHLY plus any install costs and stuff..

stay away from the voltage kits.. you can ground your TB (check how to) and many still think it\'s juts a placebo effect but for < 10bux u can\'t go wrong

Cardinal Fang
04-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Better mileage? I doubt you\'re going to find that if you decide to increase your engines performance characteristics.

majic
04-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Cardinal Fang

Better mileage? I doubt you\'re going to find that if you decide to increase your engines performance characteristics.

intake.. removes teh air flow restriction and colder air.. so in theory better mileage but you WILL be much more enticed to WOT it :D cuz it sounds nice :D

LegoMan
04-17-2006, 12:32 PM
intake do you mean the CAI? because i already have it on order. anything else?

majic
04-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by LegoMan

intake do you mean the CAI? because i already have it on order. anything else?

yes .. cai = cold air intake

Flagrum_3
04-17-2006, 12:55 PM
For about $70.00 more you can \"invest\" in the MazdaSpeed catback exhaust system...not only should it slightly improve your fuel consumption it should show a modest HP gain....plus the sound would be most satisfying....BONUS!

That\'s where I\'d throw my money.

_3

RedRaptor
04-17-2006, 12:55 PM
More air coming into the engine means more gas is going to be burned...plus the fact that you will have lead foot when you get a cold air intake, there is no way its going to save gas. ;)

LegoMan
04-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Flagrum_3

For about $70.00 more you can \"invest\" in the MazdaSpeed catback exhaust system...not only should it slightly improve your fuel consumption it should show a modest HP gain....plus the sound would be most satisfying....BONUS!

That\'s where I\'d throw my money.

_3

I was looking at the exhaust, but I would like to hear how it sounds on the 3 and Id like to drive one, but the dealer doesnt have one installed on a demo.

majic
04-17-2006, 01:09 PM

I was looking at the exhaust, but I would like to hear how it sounds on the 3 and Id like to drive one, but the dealer doesnt have one installed on a demo.

check with Joe (flipspeed) @ MoT.. he was getting his done.. ;)

Cardinal Fang
04-17-2006, 01:12 PM

True some companies do state that their exhaust systems provided increased fuel economy. However, if your foot is constantly down to the floor so you hear that \"satisfying\" sound I can state without reservation you will kill any gains you\'ve made very fast.

Bottom line is that I\'ve never seen anyone modify their cars with performance parts and then baby it around the streets. We all want to \"test them out every chance they get.\" It\'s only natural. Given this, improved gas mileage is, now don\'t jump on my for this pun.....a pipe dream.

LegoMan
04-17-2006, 01:17 PM
so then I gues I should of boughten a TDI? :D I bought the 3 for power, but i dont mind spending money on something that will save me a little gas. But you\'re all right, with the exhaust I wouldnt baby it around.

Flagrum_3
04-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Cardinal Fang

True some companies do state that their exhaust systems provided increased fuel economy. However, if your foot is constantly down to the floor so you hear that \"satisfying\" sound I can state without reservation you will kill any gains you\'ve made very fast.

Bottom line is that I\'ve never seen anyone modify their cars with performance parts and then baby it around the streets. We all want to \"test them out every chance they get.\" It\'s only natural. Given this, improved gas mileage is, now don\'t jump on my for this pun.....a pipe dream.

I agree to a point...but if fuel consumption is his main concern I would think he would learn to control the urges;) ...I am sure I heard a sample of the MazdaSpeed exhaust somewhere on this board and I think it would sound great with just everyday driving thus dulling the urge to floor it.

As for claims of increased fuel economy it is only logical \"IF\" the system has been designed well, allowing for less back pressure thus better engine breathing than fuel economy should go up.

Another bonus to the system is, its stainless steel which should last probably longer than he\'d want to keep his vehicle.

no pipe dream here!:D

_3

MAZDA Kitten
04-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Can I make a suggestion and get some springs & a sway bar; the handling on the car will improve ten fold. I think sway bar is the best bang for the buck. Maybe some HIDs (my second fave mod)

LegoMan
04-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

Can I make a suggestion and get some springs & a sway bar; the handling on the car will improve ten fold. I think sway bar is the best bang for the buck. Maybe some HIDs (my second fave mod)

Thanks MK, I was talking to my dad and he said the same thing to throw the money into the suspension. Anyone recommend a certain sway bar? I still havent seen the Mazda one

majic
04-17-2006, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

Thanks MK, I was talking to my dad and he said the same thing to throw the money into the suspension. Anyone recommend a certain sway bar? I still havent seen the Mazda one

i wouldn\'t agree with MK any less.. check my sig for my bar.. oops.. i don\'t think i have a link there.. oh well.. search the board.. i loved it the first day i took MK\'s black beast for a spin :D bwahahahha.. sway bar is the shizzle.. won\'t give you HP but you will take the same corner much faster .. and with a huge grin on your face when a ****ing TL fishtails and swerves into your lane when trying to \'race you\'... oops.. a slight tangent :sarc

LegoMan
04-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Excellent! Now which sway bar should I get? I see alot of different ones, Mazdaspeed, Progress, Vibrant... Do I just get the front tower strut or should I get the back as well? Have no experience with modding especially with suspension.

majic
04-18-2006, 12:09 AM

Excellent! Now which sway bar should I get? I see alot of different ones, Mazdaspeed, Progress, Vibrant... Do I just get the front tower strut or should I get the back as well? Have no experience with modding especially with suspension.

can\'t find the post where i was describing how good MK\'s car handled.. but something along the lines of \"MK being scared shitless.. peeing pants..\" b/c i was taking the curves way fast :D .. anyway.. don\'t bother with the strut bar.. sway bar (for the rear) should suffice.. and i\'m not lowered and it ROCKS (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=4696) :D .. oh btw.. it\'s progress.. as per my sig.. $115USD + say $25USD shipping (and maybe some duties). but i got mine off of sabio :)

MajesticBlueNTO
04-18-2006, 02:06 AM
i\'d say better tires over any suspension mod first...because then you can see what the car can really do before modifying the suspension.

after all, what good is an aftermarket rear sway bar when the stock tires will reach its limit before the chassis?

MAZDA Kitten
04-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by majic
can\'t find the post where i was describing how good MK\'s car handled.. but something along the lines of \"MK being scared shitless.. peeing pants..\" b/c i was taking the curves way fast :D .. anyway.. don\'t bother with the strut bar.. sway bar (for the rear) should suffice.. and i\'m not lowered and it ROCKS (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=4696) :D .. oh btw.. it\'s progress.. as per my sig.. $115USD + say $25USD shipping (and maybe some duties). but i got mine off of sabio :)

LOL yeah majic thinks he\'s an F1 driver LOL :D
I think Progress is the favourite around here; I\'ve seen some on ebay. Get the rear; I have both and the sway bar would make a decent addition down the line; car feels more \'neutral\' in the front but the rear strut is simply awesome. night & day.

LegoMan
04-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Ok cool Ill try to get front and back? what about the springs. And if I do go with Progress, should I expect the dealership to give me a hard time?

majic
04-18-2006, 09:55 AM

Ok cool Ill try to get front and back? what about the springs. And if I do go with Progress, should I expect the dealership to give me a hard time?

i\'m not sure _IF_ you\'re paying attention what people are telling you.. and since you\'re asking for help, you should listen..

1) tires
2) sway bar (REAR)
3) ...

LegoMan
04-18-2006, 10:06 AM
sorry, Ive been up since 4am, flew to Detroit-Willow Run, picked up Honda parts for the Alliston plant, and flew back to Toronto. And I still havent eaten breakfast. :zzz :zzz

Flagrum_3
04-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Not trying to be argumentative here;) but, as much as I agree that the sway bar is an excellent \"bang for the buck\" upgrade, it will do nothing for gas economy or increased power, which I believe was the quest from the beginning. As a matter of fact it might just cause the opposite effect in that it will \"urge\" our friend here to start driving more aggressively thus burning more fuel.....

By the way, other than using an online dealer, Is there anywhere to purchase a Progess sway bar in the GTA? And has anyone here ever ordered anything online from www.TireTrends.com?

Thanks,:)

_3

majic
04-18-2006, 10:46 AM
F3, true BUT that can be said of ANY \'performance enhancing\' (or placebo) mod.. wouldn\'t you want to hear your exhaust/intake/header? see how fast you can take the twisties with the new rubbers on? sway bar, springs? i know i would.. :D

Kevin@nextmod
04-18-2006, 11:55 AM
IMO I would go for suspension first then tires. Your tires are still new, why not use them rather then wasting them? I can tell you no one will buy them unless there in need of maybe 1. Or I think Joe (flipspeed) wants a set for his trip.
That is one reason why I\'m not getting new tires on my car. The RS-As are useless and crappy but I dont want to waste them since i know no one will want them.

Come to the next meet and take a ride on different setups of suspensions.
Autoexe (Clement) Tein basic
Whodilly (Jon) D2 coilovers
Me, SABIO, Chinsterr, and lots more have the H-techs
Mazdatree, Flipspeed got the S-techs
Bluedragon got the progress springs
Bubba, RJ3, Broli got the prokits
Gizmo I believe got the sportlines with MS shocks

Exhaust:
Broli, Mazdatree, and MajesticBlueN got the Magnaflow
Bubba got the vibrant everything incl. headers, exhaust, strut bar
Chinsterr and astatik got the vibrant
Autoexe (clem) got the HKS bolt on
bluedragon, FLIPSPEED and now Hypotherml got the MS exhaust
I got the custom HKS catback
Wtom got the draxas
Someone got the Borla but i forgot who

Take a ride on all or some of them and see how you feel.

If i\'m missing anything please excuse me cause thats all i can remember right now.

-my 2 cents

Hope this helps
:)

LegoMan
04-18-2006, 01:30 PM
I heard your exhaust yesterday, it was loud! lol. I think Im gonna go for the springs first than maybe sway bar. Next year, when I get a big payraise, Ill put in the tints and mazdaspeed exhaust.

FLIPDADY
04-18-2006, 01:36 PM

I heard your exhaust yesterday, it was loud! lol. I think Im gonna go for the springs first than maybe sway bar. Next year, when I get a big payraise, Ill put in the tints and mazdaspeed exhaust.
Come by the dealership and I\'ll give you a Mazdaspeed wish book.:p

LegoMan
04-18-2006, 01:57 PM
actually i might come down, since i have a dent and crooked hood. Erin Mills told me to come in on Friday to look at it for an hour and if they cant do anything they are gonna send it into a bodyshop, and who knows how long thats gonna take. Plus I need my grill painted (titanium).