PDA

View Full Version : Coilover question!

mEtH
05-18-2006, 12:40 AM
In regards to the Tein basic damper setup

Tein recommends (Front -1.7 Rear -1.1)

How I see it is, thier recommendation is set to retain full suspension travel. If dropped lower, then the damper will bottom out. So with that in mind, since I am lower then that, I was thinking about cutting the bump stops down to soften the ride up a little bit and to maintain the shocks lifespan as being lower then their recommended amount would shorten the lifespan.

What do people think? I mean cutting bump stops increases shock travel which in return should soften the ride, correct? I got no problems with the ride (except for the odd days when I just dont feel like feelin any bumps, but I do drive my mom around sometimes not to mention my gf and her mom, etc. at odd times. I plan to hit the track and stuff and yes that will be the time to see all the benefits of the stiff ride. At the same time it is my daily driver first.

I don\'t know, really considering doing it...Is the difference going to be so minimal that its not even worth the time...too many things I keep thinkin

hehe :hoho

bluntman
05-18-2006, 08:04 AM
What\'s your question? :D

mEtH
05-18-2006, 09:49 AM
HAHA...! :p

Is it worth trying to cut the bump stops down a bit? I dont think that its entirely because of the spring rate. The bounce backs are very short, it feels like riding on the Go bus when you hit the bumps :p I just got off the thing so its something to compare to hahaha...

I plan to take out the upper collar on the rear to drop it some more and while I am at it I might as well cut the bumpstops since I am already going to be working with the suspension.

Anyone else with coilover, lower then recommended, cut/trim the bump stops?

mEtH
05-19-2006, 03:15 PM
So I trimmed the bump stops today, feels better. Also took out the rear upper collar to lower it a touch more to even it out. Its great!

Jeff-TheBiz
06-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by methodyst

So I trimmed the bump stops today, feels better. Also took out the rear upper collar to lower it a touch more to even it out. Its great!

So lets see it...

mEtH
06-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Wow ur bored, bringing it back from the dead and all :p

MidnightSpeed
06-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Yeah..so..pics?!

///M
06-19-2006, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by TheBiz

Originally posted by methodyst

So lets see it...

I did this last year, but eventually replaced the collar. Though it never did, the thought that it may come loose bothered me.

With the collar off:
http://individual.utoronto.ca/cc_706/car/tein.jpg

With the collar replaced, set to the lowest setting (looks lower with the 18s):
http://individual.utoronto.ca/cc_706/car/side_profile.jpg

It\'s slightly lower with the collar removed and gives a more even drop, though the difference isn\'t huge. I might raise the front a touch to even it out a bit more.