PDA

View Full Version : Sound System in Mazda3

DivineWind
06-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi. I am once again looking to get a 3 after sadly, my civic got totalled. I had an Black EX Coupe. I have to say the driving dynamics that no magazine reviews and the insane 350W stereo was amazing and was wondering if anyone has tried it and how does it compare to the 3\'s.

For 2007 i was also wondering if the sound system is mp3 compatible and whether or not i comes with a sub.

thanks guys, sorry if this is a repost.

bluntman
06-06-2006, 12:27 PM
I highly doubt Mazda will make a subwoofer available, even as an option. From what I hear, the 6 disc CD changer option on the 2006 models are also MP3 compatible. Of course, there may be a Blose option.

DivineWind
06-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Even a Bose option would be great and as long as it plays mp3\'s thats all i need. each car has different strengths, but man .. sound and handling are my main concerns right now for deciding what to get next.

TheProfessor
06-06-2006, 01:12 PM
If sound is truly a concern for you then I wouldn\'t be looking for upgraded factory stereo systems, especially when made by Bose :sarc

If you truly care about sound quality then put together a good aftermarket system. It doesn\'t have to break the bank, and will undoubtedly be far superior to an upgraded factory system.

Broli
06-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by TheProfessor

If sound is truly a concern for you then I wouldn\'t be looking for upgraded factory stereo systems, especially when made by Bose :sarc

If you truly care about sound quality then put together a good aftermarket system. It doesn\'t have to break the bank, and will undoubtedly be far superior to an upgraded factory system.

+1

if u piece it together from various club boards
u may get some good deals on some great sound!

oh yeah!

DivineWind
06-06-2006, 08:07 PM
nah .. im too lazy to do that. I have no hands on skills whatsoever for anything car related. Test drove the 3 today, forgot my discs tho .. so no test.

bluntman
06-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Neither do I. Soon after picking up my car I took it to Kromer Radio before work, had them install my component speakers, four channel amp and LOC. Picked it up after work and drove home with a big smile on my face. A couple of weeks after that I took to another car audio shop and had a mono amp and sub installed. Drove home a couple of hours later with an even bigger smile on my face.

The stock stereo sucks.

///M
06-07-2006, 12:15 AM
I have entry level Alpine components in mine (front components, rear coaxials, 4 channel amp, LOC) and it already sounds far, far better than stock.

cphowitzer
06-07-2006, 01:44 AM
doesnt the headpiece have to be like curved to match the smooth contour of the car?

DivineWind
06-07-2006, 02:57 AM
how much did you guys pay in total ? im dont exactly have free reign on budget either ... but if its not a fortune and the difference is big ... then at least i can make the car like home

btw .. doesnt dropping an aftermarket sub take up more space in trunk ?

bluntman
06-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by DivineWind

how much did you guys pay in total ? im dont exactly have free reign on budget either ... but if its not a fortune and the difference is big ... then at least i can make the car like home

I don\'t remember the exact numbers, maybe $2000 to $2500, taxes included with installation...including the second 4 channel amp that replaced the first 4 channel amp - I didn\'t like how th first one looked, it didn\'t match the mono amp beside it. Again, you don\'t have to spend that much money, start off with speakers and then add an amp if you still don\'t like the sound.

A sub and sub box takes up a little over a quarter of the trunk space in my hatch, but there are people who have molded a small sub box (for an 8\" sub) in the side wall where the jack currently resides.

TheProfessor
06-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by DivineWind

Yes, but how much depends on you. Some members over at M3F have built custom enclosures in the jack area which uses up none of the trunk space. Personally I have a box built to JL specs which takes up about one square foot of space.......not a heck of a lot.

As for budgets, there are two schools of thought IMO:

1) You can piece together a whole system at once and get a basic system that will sound good and not break the bank

-or-

2) Put the system together piece by piece which would allow you to spend more money on each component and when all is said and done you will have an excellent system. This one obviously requires a bit of planning and patience, but depending on how crazy you are about sound quality it might be worth it.

bluntman
06-07-2006, 09:32 AM
BTW, you can get some second hand equipment. Check the B&S section.

DivineWind
06-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks guys. Looks like i will almost definitely have to mod the sound system. I dunno i kinda lazy doin that ... guess ill live with it for a year and then bring it to lockdown or somethin. Anyone take a look at the new golf aka RABBIT. Its nice except for the fact it doesnt get the audi/gti front end.

3GFX
06-12-2006, 06:26 PM
The stock system isn\'t bad, as long as you have the 6 speaker option. I\'m finding a lack of bass (which you will in practicly any stock stereo). I\'m going to install a simple 2 channel amp and a single 12\" sub. I don\'t want to change the stock deck since nothing short of a video screen will look nearly as good.

If the other speakers arn\'t gonna match, I\'ll slowly go through components.

The best way to go without replacing the deck is a line output converter as demonstrated on the Desired Customs Cobalt. You can retain ur stock deck while the converter (about 400-1000$) will increase wattage and sound quality output.

To install a decent amp and sub is gonna run me about 350$ at a local car audio place.

I\'ve had the sub before so that saved me money. But like the other guys said build it to the spec you want. And on the budget you want. A decent stereo can still run less than 1000$ Complete!!!

Shop around and good luck...

bluntman
06-12-2006, 07:21 PM
You can get a decent LOC for around $200.

Moved to Interior Electrical Modifications.

TheProfessor
06-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by bluntman

You can get a decent LOC for around $200.

Moved to Interior Electrical Modifications.

Correction, you can get a great LOC for around $50 from Navone engineering. If you\'re gonna spend in the hundreds of dollars for a LOC, you would be much better off picking up a JL Audio cleansweep which would be far superior, add an aux in, and make your system sound just as good as an aftermarket deck.

bubba1983
06-14-2006, 11:46 PM
o0r $20 at XtremeINC

midnightfxgt
06-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Yeah, A LOC shouldnt be around $200. I think mine was like $50-60 at MOST. I dont remember. Was a DBLink unit.

TheProfessor
06-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by midnightfxgt

Yeah, A LOC shouldnt be around $200. I think mine was like $50-60 at MOST. I dont remember. Was a DBLink unit.

There are $200 LOC\'s made by company\'s like Soundgate, but they\'re not worth the $$$ IMO. The money is better spent elsewhere in the system.

fourtrack78
06-15-2006, 02:54 PM
for those who in stalled a LOC, where did you put it? near the head unit? did you use a \"tap-in\" for the wire connection?

skunk2
06-15-2006, 03:11 PM
i have an NE-774V that is tucked behind the headunit. there\'s a hole there perfect size for the LOC to be wedged in. I cut the wires from the harness then crimped them to the LOC, sometimes the tap-ins fails me.

TheProfessor
06-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by skunk2

i have an NE-774V that is tucked behind the headunit. there\'s a hole there perfect size for the LOC to be wedged in. I cut the wires from the harness then crimped them to the LOC, sometimes the tap-ins fails me.

I have the same LOC mounted just above the head unit behind the main HVAC vents. There\'s a pretty good space there (likely for the factory Nav system), and it\'s super easy to get to.

Skarbro
06-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Let me apologize for my stupidity ahead of time (I\'m not a car stereo guy).

What is an LOC?

bluntman
06-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Skarbro

Let me apologize for my stupidity ahead of time (I\'m not a car stereo guy).

What is an LOC?

It\'s a Line Out Converter. The stock headunit doesn\'t have RCA (low level) outputs just speaker (high level) outputs. The LOC converts the high output signal to a low level signal that aftermarket amplifiers that have RCA inputs can use.

Skarbro
06-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Cool I learned something!

3GFX
06-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Just an update on what the stock deck can handle....

I\'ve installed a 620 watt (250RMS) Amp running a 12\" subwoofer off the stock deck with a regular LOC line (non unit LOC). It sounds great and hasn\'t robbed any power from the stock system. Does the job on the low end. I run my treble setting @ +3, mid @ +2 and bass @ +2 and I get a good all around sound. Of course I\'ll upgrade more in the future, but for a start, it does a great job.:D :D :D

PPI_MAN
07-08-2006, 07:27 PM
I have a Kenwood X859 head unit.

Front doors: Boston Acoustic Pro6.5 2 way comp.
Rear doors: Boston Accoustic SL60
Amps: PPI PC2600 (600*1 4ohm mono) & PC4400 (4*50 4ohm ster.)
Sub: 1 Kaption SPL 12
Wire & Ele: 1 PPI Cap 1000 watts, Stringer wires & Truck dynamat

Stock battery and alternator

No Problem with anything no lights dimming power loss nothing!!!

PPI_MAN