PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Temp on LCD

wajih19
07-10-2006, 10:28 AM
I have a 2004 GT/GFX sedan. I was told that the 2006 models have outside temp displayed on their LCD. Is there any way possible to get some wiring work done by Mazda to get that Temp display on the 2004 Mazdas? Any answers????

Cero21
07-10-2006, 10:36 AM
No one has been able to do it yet and it doesn\'t look like it will happen in the future.

TheProfessor
07-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Cero21 is correct. If the feature is that important to you I believe that Canadian Tire sells a kit which includes a small LCD to be mounted on/in the dash, along with the necessary temperature probes and all wiring.

bluntman
07-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Or you can just open your window. :D

3GFX
07-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Man, I\'ve tried to ask that question before. But I guess no luck.

My buddy does the wierdest thing. He puts his hand against the glass to check the temperature outside...like what the heck? lol

bubba1983
07-10-2006, 12:16 PM
^^ those new dundee people...their so weird!!!

3GFX
07-10-2006, 02:11 PM
He\'s from Cambridge...and I am still Kitchener on my liscence :p

Xenon
07-10-2006, 04:14 PM
I\'ve previously been told that the ambiant temperature sensor programming is in the ECU and the <2005 models don\'t have the ECU programming to have the sensor.

So based on that information, in order to get it, you would need:
The Temperature sensor
a new LCD which has the firmware to display it
A re-programmed or 2006 ECU

I don\'t think it\'s worth it. The temperature sensor itself is probably a couple hundred dollars.

Xerox
07-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Or you can install an auto dimming mirror with homelink and ambiant temp sensor.
I think there are maybe 2 different versions of this mirror (with differnt features) but here\'s one that I found.

http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=6313

I\'d personally much rather have this.

wajih19
07-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Quite disappointing....

Skarbro
07-11-2006, 09:46 AM
I have it and it\'s a neat feature. But I\'m convinced it isn\'t terribly accurate. I\'m guessing it has an error factor of about +/- 2C.

TheProfessor
07-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Skarbro

I have it and it\'s a neat feature. But I\'m convinced it isn\'t terribly accurate. I\'m guessing it has an error factor of about +/- 2C.

I agree, which is why I don\'t think it\'s worth the hassle of trying to retrofit it into an older MZ3.

Xerox
07-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by TheProfessor

Originally posted by Skarbro

I agree, which is why I don\'t think it\'s worth the hassle of trying to retrofit it into an older MZ3.

But is wajih19 looking for accuracy or for show?

If you want accuracy, go with good ole\' mercury thermometers. Get one of these babies and stick it on your hood. It\'ll be the next generation hood thermo-tach. :D

http://www.mustbeart.com/palomar/thermometer.gif

http://www.1970roadrunner.com/images/John/hood_tach.jpg

McGuyver_3
07-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by John

Or you can install an auto dimming mirror with homelink and ambiant temp sensor.
I think there are maybe 2 different versions of this mirror (with differnt features) but here\'s one that I found.

http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=6313

I\'d personally much rather have this.

I have that mirror:) and its awsome best 200 us i ever spent

Gods Son
08-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Ahhhh my virgin post :D
Im glad you guys brought this up cause this is a question ive always had. I have a silver 05 hatch and if you look to the side of the stereo you can see it shows the display of the guy in a tilted seat position just like the 06 models. I work for a heating/cooling company and temperature sensors are pretty cheap. The ECU is probably the only thing that would need programming. It looks like the feature was just disabled.

TheProfessor
08-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Gods Son

Ahhhh my virgin post :D
Im glad you guys brought this up cause this is a question ive always had. I have a silver 05 hatch and if you look to the side of the stereo you can see it shows the display of the guy in a tilted seat position just like the 06 models. I work for a heating/cooling company and temperature sensors are pretty cheap. The ECU is probably the only thing that would need programming. It looks like the feature was just disabled.

It\'s there because Mazda uses the same LCD display for models all around the world, including those that came equipped with the ambient temp prior to 2006 MY.