PDA

View Full Version : Rear sway bar

Skarbro
07-14-2006, 08:09 AM
I\'m looking to kill some of the body roll in my hatchback. I\'ve narrowed it down to the Racing Beat rear sway bar, which has a 7mm radius bigger than stock. Does anyone have any experience with the RB rear bar without the front bar?

I thought about the Progress sway bar, but at only 2mm bigger than stock, it doesn\'t sound like it would do much.

KenYork
07-14-2006, 09:16 AM
I have the progress bar from our group buy way back. The 2mm does make a difference. I\'m sure the RB one would make more of a difference. Right now with a strut bar in the front, I wish i had the RB sway bar.

majic
07-14-2006, 10:31 AM
when you get the progress bar.. expect to get some speeding tix ;) and take corners with a huge grin on your face :D

EDIT: i don\'t have a front bar..

Skarbro
07-14-2006, 10:50 AM
How would the progress bar fair on a stock suspension? I\'m still leaning more towards the Racing Beat bar.

majic
07-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Skarbro

How would the progress bar fair on a stock suspension? I\'m still leaning more towards the Racing Beat bar.

once again.. stock suspension.. no front bar.. and a progress rear sway bar..

:D :D :D :D :D - ask MK :p

Dave_Mazda3
07-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Hey Majic
where did you get the progress rear sway bar and if you don\'t mind me asking...how much?

bluntman
07-14-2006, 02:58 PM
I believe he got his from the US.

There was a GB here last winter through a distributer in Quebec, that\'s where I picked up mine.

I love mine. I can afford to take on and off ramps at little faster. ;)

Skarbro
07-14-2006, 03:32 PM
With all the new owners coming on here, maybe we can get another GP going. :D

majic
07-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by bluntman

There was a GB here last winter through a distributer in Quebec, that\'s where I picked up mine.

actually.. i bought it off sabio since he\'s stripping his car anyway :p

but you can get it from ebay for $115 plus $15 shipping (USD) but i THINK they ship ups only :(

chaser
07-14-2006, 05:21 PM

With all the new owners coming on here, maybe we can get another GP going. :D

Better setup with another distributor this time ;)

Skarbro
07-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by majic

Originally posted by bluntman

actually.. i bought it off sabio since he\'s stripping his car anyway :p

but you can get it from ebay for $115 plus $15 shipping (USD) but i THINK they ship ups only :(
OK I jumped on it. After a lot of thought, the Racing Beat setup would only really work well with both the front and back bars - and that\'s a little pricey. I figure I would just get the Progress and leave it at that. BTW, it\'s good to have a friend in the U.S. to ship stuff to. :D

majic
07-14-2006, 09:48 PM

OK I jumped on it. After a lot of thought, the Racing Beat setup would only really work well with both the front and back bars - and that\'s a little pricey. I figure I would just get the Progress and leave it at that. BTW, it\'s good to have a friend in the U.S. to ship stuff to. :D

nice.. you won\'t regret it.. :D

3GFX
07-17-2006, 07:59 AM
All this talk is making me consider one......:)

Skarbro
07-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Well I\'m stoked. The single best first mod on most FWD cars is upgrading/adding the rear sway bar.

Skarbro
08-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Woot! I have it now. The install will be tonight.

mazmaz
08-09-2006, 10:40 AM
can we see some pic. before the install.

one more thing, the 3 doesn\'t come with rear sway bar?

Skarbro
08-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by mazmaz

I will try to take pics tonight.

The 3 has a stock sway bar. The new sway bar repaces the stock one.

majic
08-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by mazmaz

from left to right (on bubba\'s picture): stock.. mazdaspeed.. progress

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/3628/picture004nr7.jpg

Skarbro
08-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Incidentally, I have the newer model with the welded stops to prevent the bar from drifting.

Skarbro
08-09-2006, 09:08 PM
OK I just installed it and went for a ride to the gas station. I highly recommend getting the Progress bar. I went straight for the tight setting. Now the hideous hatchback body roll has diminished a lot! Taking corners is a lot more fun. If anyone has any doubts - take it from me, this thing is worth it.

The install was so easy that I think I could do it blindfolded. Of course, I have a lot of experience installing sway bars on other cars.

Ok just get it!

CoolColombian
08-09-2006, 09:38 PM

the Racing Beat setup would only really work well with both the front and rear bar

I\'m interested in a rear sway, mostly the RB and i just want to know what makes you think that? Thanks

Skarbro
08-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by CoolColombian

the Racing Beat setup would only really work well with both the front and rear bar

I\'m interested in a rear sway, mostly the RB and i just want to know what makes you think that? Thanks
Because that is how it is designed. The rear bar is super thick and would not compliment the stock front bar very well. You would get mad over-steer. You need the front RB bar to neutralize it.

CoolColombian
08-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks, sounds reasonable.

KenYork
08-09-2006, 10:26 PM
But wouldn\'t you think the front strut bar would be enough for the RB rear sway?

CoolColombian
08-09-2006, 11:18 PM
I would like to think that so i would buy only the rear one but i don\'t know what the people with sway and strut really feel.

Skarbro??

SABIO
08-09-2006, 11:34 PM
A Front Strut Bar would have ZERO effect on how a Rear Sway bar performs.

The Progress bar is great. Great for zipping around town. Now if you want the car to cut seriously tight get the Racing Beat Rear. Nothing like a little over-Steer :D Easy to correct when the back end drifts out on you..get that racer feeling....
..that is of course if you drive like your racing at shannonville....

CoolColombian
08-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Thanks \"SABIO\".

I might join the Progress sway bar GB. :D

Skarbro
08-10-2006, 05:24 AM
Yeah most people will feel no effect with a strut tower bar. Strut bars are only really helpful if you plan on doing some serious auto-x-ing.

1flycdnM3
08-23-2006, 09:38 PM
I have posted this on too many sites now, but here is the jist of it...

Strut Tower Bars = Hard/tight cornering abilities Not so much dependent on the speed you are going, but more accuracy on a hard 90-degree turn or \"S-bends\" on the track

Sway Bars = More general for everyday driving. More smooth body-roll and improved cornering abilities

hope that helps a little :)

SABIO
08-24-2006, 05:35 AM
I haven\'t really said this anywhere but here.

Strut Tower Bars. = NOTHING! You\'re car will NOT handle better. IF you did off-road rally races, it might help prevent suspension damage. Even on a road track they do squat!

3GFX
08-24-2006, 07:50 AM
Ok I\'m gonna cure these strut tower bar woes. Sabio is in part correct, they don\'t do much at all, period. BUT they do have some advantages other than looks.

A strut tower bar on our car is a minimal mod because our chassis are quite stiff. Bracing the sides of the car together at yet another point in the body will make the chassis stiffer. The body won\'t flex as much. Of course you won\'t notice it, and it doesn\'t make that big of a differance.

On and older car (Mustangs from the 80s and 90s are perfect examples) the chassis may need to be seriously stiffened to reduce flex. Strut tower bars are one of those steps.

So when you\'re dragging, putting out high power, or auto-xing this reduction in chassis flex will help you gain a precious millisecond or two.

If you\'re looking for seconds or another 0.5g laterally, your gonna have to go elsewhere.

IMO it never hurts though to reduce flex, and yes it looks nice.

My two cents. :)

bubba1983
08-24-2006, 11:47 AM
me liek to flex!
muwahahha

rapidfire
04-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Does any one know where I can find info. on size diffrent & performance diffirent on MS front/rear sway/stabilizer kit, progressive rear sway bar & RB rear/front sway kit or even just the RB rear sway bar? Which set is better in term of performance?

bb1999jan17
04-30-2007, 11:01 PM
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=51193.0
lots of info

tlaselva
05-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Anyone recommend a Canadian Retailer source for the

tlaselva
05-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Anyone can recommend a Canadian Retail source for the Progress bar?

ArManI
05-12-2007, 04:11 AM
anyone has any command on Eibach sways?
comparing Eibach and RB... is it better? or not much difference? (both front&rear swaybars kit)

mogul_pro
01-14-2008, 10:09 PM
I have the hotchkis front and rear swaybars.. they rock!