PDA

View Full Version : Edmunds First Drive: Japanese Spec MazdaSpeed 3

bluntman
07-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Edmunds link (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=116119#17)

Broli
07-18-2006, 01:40 PM
shouldn\'t the car do better than 6.1 seconds for 0-60!?

3GFX
07-18-2006, 01:47 PM
If I only I had the extra 10 grand when I got my GT :p

Looks like its gonna be a sweet ride...I just wish it looked a little more aggressive

Broli, the car probably has problems putting the power to the ground :p

bluntman
07-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Hmm, it\'s around 200lbs heavier than the current 3.

Broli
07-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by 3GFX

Broli, the car probably has problems putting the power to the ground :p

sounded like it didn\'t in the article?

i think that is an under-rated
at least i hope it is!

SABIO
07-18-2006, 05:10 PM
The car is over-rated you mean.. It\'s called Hype.

SourcE
07-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Are they ever going to build a MSP5?

Cause that\'s prolly gonna be my next car....eh SABIO?

SABIO
07-18-2006, 10:27 PM
I need a MazdaSpeed CX-9 HAHAHA........

SIM SIMMA
07-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Just get a CX-9 and put Mazdaspeed badging on it...

:p

MazdaTree
07-19-2006, 03:35 AM
I dunno why but I really don\'t like what they did to the front of the new 3. The only thing nice about it is the grill.

bluntman
07-19-2006, 08:04 AM
I don\'t like how they are now using the sedan\'s hood and bumper for the MS3. :( What happenend to keeping the sheet metal unique to each body type?

3GFX
07-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by bluntman

I don\'t like how they are now using the sedan\'s hood and bumper for the MS3. :( What happenend to keeping the sheet metal unique to each body type?

Brings the cost down...keep in mind this car has to price up to the SRT-4, which will have 40 more hp.

I still don\'t like the look of it though, the GFX package looks more aggressive.

FLIPDADY
07-19-2006, 09:02 AM
I can\'t wait to drive the car myself.

Who will be the first to get one of these red rockets?

Jeff-TheBiz
07-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Jobes

Just get a CX-9 and put Mazdaspeed badging on it...

:p

New Mazdaspeed Turbo MPV!

SourcE
07-19-2006, 02:25 PM
I was this > < close to getting one,

Then my financial advisor (\'er indoors) suggested a new bathroom, and we all know that a fancy wash basin is far more fun than a turbo-charged hatchback.

That and the kid(s) won\'t fit. :(

3GFX
07-20-2006, 01:56 PM
My friend and I were discussing the Mazdaspeed 3 and came across an unusual fact. Its slower than the Cobalt SS!!! Of course we discussed the power difference. But here\'s the thing. Let compare the weight, 2800 pounds for the SS and a whopping 3000 for the MPS 3. The SS has 80 less foot pounds of torque and 60 less horses, but with a 200lb advantage it will still give the MPS a run for its money. Now throw in the SRT4 (neon) with 240hp which still does the 0-60 in 6.4!!! So I\'m wondering if this hot hatch needs to go on a diet??? We all know that weight is the biggest problem in any car, for all sorts of reasons. So why is the car still 3000lbs? I say make it a sedan!!

SourcE
07-20-2006, 02:42 PM
I say make it a sedan!!

I think it may be a little late for that.

3GFX
07-20-2006, 02:46 PM
There\'s always next model year :sarc

MajesticBlueNTO
07-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by bluntman

that\'s not the sedan hood...the sedan hood \"caves in\" in the middle...the one on the speed3 bulges out to clear the top mount intercooler.

so, the sheet metal is unique between the regular sport, the sedan and the speed3. ;)

SABIO
07-22-2006, 01:05 AM

Its slower than the Cobalt SS!!! Of course we discussed the power difference. Let compare the weight, 2800 pounds for the SS and a whopping 3000 for the MPS 3. The SS has 80 less foot pounds of torque and 60 less horses, but with a 200lb advantage it will still give the MPS a run for its money. Now throw in the SRT4 (neon) with 240hp which still does the 0-60 in 6.4!!! So I\'m wondering if this hot hatch needs to go on a diet??? We all know that weight is the biggest problem in any car, for all sorts of reasons. So why is the car still 3000lbs? I say make it a sedan!!

Hmmmm... It has been stated that the MazdaSpeed 3 will do 0-60 in under 6 secs.
200lbs is not a huge difference...not even a big difference. It\'s a general fact..ever since the muscle car era, that 100lbs is equal to 10hp. or.. if you wanted to drop .1 sec from your quarter mile time you would have to drop 100lbs or add 10hp.
Soooo, the Mazda is 200lbs heavier...as long as it makes 20hp more, the weight means nothing.

The SS does 0-60 in 7 seconds flat. The 3 will beat it by a full second... not even close!
and the SS doesn\'t have an LSD...so it Sux :)

How could you post garbage like that...:sarc

Mica3SGT
07-22-2006, 01:51 AM
6 Thoughts from Outside the Box:
1) Most sedans really suck unless you own a BMW M5, Audi RS4 or Mercedes 500 AMG. Can you say TAXI?
2) Wait \'til 2009 - new Mustang, Challenger and perhaps the Camaro with 500 REAL HP. Start saving!
3) The Cobalt SS is poorly executed CRAP and makes a sorry ass Chevy. GM will kill it soon enough!
4) Turbos SUCK - ask any owner who had to replace them on the other boards. Manufacturers cringe.
5) Mazda needs the new RX-7 badly. Anything called Mazdaspeed - don\'t get too excited, it\'s HYPE!
6) What\'s final pricing on the Mazdaspeed3? Why can\'t Mazda build these with bold new colours?:zzz

chinsterr
07-22-2006, 11:49 AM
the added weight is to keep the car well planted !!!! geez, did you get nothing from that article ?

3GFX
07-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by SABIO

Its slower than the Cobalt SS!!! Of course we discussed the power difference. Let compare the weight, 2800 pounds for the SS and a whopping 3000 for the MPS 3. The SS has 80 less foot pounds of torque and 60 less horses, but with a 200lb advantage it will still give the MPS a run for its money. Now throw in the SRT4 (neon) with 240hp which still does the 0-60 in 6.4!!! So I\'m wondering if this hot hatch needs to go on a diet??? We all know that weight is the biggest problem in any car, for all sorts of reasons. So why is the car still 3000lbs? I say make it a sedan!!

Hmmmm... It has been stated that the MazdaSpeed 3 will do 0-60 in under 6 secs.
200lbs is not a huge difference...not even a big difference. It\'s a general fact..ever since the muscle car era, that 100lbs is equal to 10hp. or.. if you wanted to drop .1 sec from your quarter mile time you would have to drop 100lbs or add 10hp.
Soooo, the Mazda is 200lbs heavier...as long as it makes 20hp more, the weight means nothing.

The SS does 0-60 in 7 seconds flat. The 3 will beat it by a full second... not even close!
and the SS doesn\'t have an LSD...so it Sux :)

How could you post garbage like that...:sarc

Let me correct myself, the 6.1 sec 0-60 of the SS was a biased time from different testing conditions, sorry about that.

I still think the Mazdaspeed is a little heavy, 200lbs is more useful in handling not just in a straight line.

Still the Mazda will kick *ss, not only in its segment but many other cars too. I bet it will handle better than the camero and won\'t be to far behind in the 0-60 :hoho

swales
07-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

I can\'t wait to drive the car myself.

Who will be the first to get one of these red rockets?

I had one ordered with money down and everything but once I found out it was in red, I cancelled my order...damn Mazda Canada :sarc

SourcE
07-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by swales
I had one ordered with money down and everything but once I found out it was in red, I cancelled my order...damn Mazda Canada :sarc

you hate red THAT much?

wow

TheProfessor
07-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by SourcE

you hate red THAT much?

wow

While I don\'t hate red, I too wouldn\'t buy it simply because I couldn\'t see myself driving a red car for an extended period of time. I think they dropped the ball on this whole colour thing. At least the Mazdaspeed6 comes in like three colours, one of which is a very neutral black.

swales
07-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by SourcE

you hate red THAT much?

wow

On the 3? Yep, just doesn\'t look good. If I wanted something fast that doesn\'t look good, I would go with a Cobalt or SRT-4 :p but the looks mean as much to me as the performance.

I just don\'t understand why we don\'t get all the colors when EVERY other market in the world does, just doesn\'t make sense :sarc

Mica3SGT
07-24-2006, 11:11 PM
When Mazda polls a user forum to decide on future colours (after making a HUGE mistake allowing an ad agency to pick RED for the initial run) you know there is a huge gap in decision making and planning at sun of Ford. Better announce pricing quick before you loose a few more.....

SABIO
07-25-2006, 04:31 AM

I thought of ordering one as well, But when I found out you have to turn the car on to use the lighter / radio and you couldn\'t lock the car while warming it up...I said forget it....

majic
07-26-2006, 11:00 AM

On the 3? Yep, just doesn\'t look good. If I wanted something fast that doesn\'t look good, I would go with a Cobalt or SRT-4 :p but the looks mean as much to me as the performance.

I just don\'t understand why we don\'t get all the colors when EVERY other market in the world does, just doesn\'t make sense :sarc

ouch.. anyway.. i\'m ok now :p

didn\'t TheBiz post a pic of a TiGray mazdaspeed3 that reached vancouver???

TheProfessor
07-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by majic

It was just a regular 2007 Mazda3 Sport, no?

majic
07-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by TheProfessor

Originally posted by majic

It was just a regular 2007 Mazda3 Sport, no?

oh crap.. neverming.. still in vacation mode.. just waking up..