Pros:
- Easy to setup
- Inexpensive compared to other GPS Units
- Easy to read at a glance due to size of laptop screen

Cons:
- Requires Laptop, not a dedicated GPS Unit
- No \"focus on my location\" feature

Comments:
If you are like me and take your laptop everywhere, then this is the perfect GPS solution for you. Much less expensive than dedicated GPS Units on the market MS Streets & Trips w/ GPS locator is a great value. The maps are easy to read, and automatically zoom in and out so that your location, and the next turn/off ramp etc. is always on the same screen. The software comes with a GPS locator (software only retails for $39.99) which can track up to 8 GPS satellites at a time to ensure an accurate location.

On the screen the GPS shows you your speed, Compass Orientation, Driving directions and of course your current location on the map. The software even has the ability to calculate your current fuel consumption, in real time, and can estimate the cost of the trip based off of user-inputed gas prices and automobile fuel efficiency.

The routes can vary depending on the user (shortest, quickets, most scenic etc.) but neverthe less are straight forward and easy to follow. With a screen the size of your laptop (most cases around 15\") maps are easy to read and direction text is large and clear. There is even voice prompting when to turn, however, the voice is in the \"Microsoft Sam\" voice.

The only downside to this software is firstly, it\'s restricted to a Windows Based PC or Mobile Device (software incudes install files for Windows Mobile based Pocket PCs). If you are like me using it on your laptop, it\'s obviously not dash mountable without spending a lot of money on a dash mount for your laptop. And last but not least, I still can\'t find the \"focus on me\" feature. If you are browsing around on the map, and want to return to your current location, I haven\'t found a way to quickly do that, which is quite the inconvienience while on the road.

Other than that, the software and hardware has exceeded my initial expectations. It\'s very easy to use, and extremely easy to read thanks to the screen size.

If you are looking for an inexpensive GPS solution, you might want to look into this.

Software by: Microsoft Corporation
GPS Hardware by: Pharos GPS
Product Page: http://www.microsoft.com/streets/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=001

AXCL
07-19-2006, 02:49 PM
If you disable and reenable GPS tracking it jumps back to you. I must have something enabled that you don\'t. It always jumps back to my current location when I have GPS tracking enabled. I have to turn it off to look around.

I\'ve just purchased it as well. Paid $139 at CompuSmart. So far I like it alot.

Xenon
07-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by AXCL

If you disable and reenable GPS tracking it jumps back to you. I must have something enabled that you don\'t. It always jumps back to my current location when I have GPS tracking enabled. I have to turn it off to look around.

I\'ve just purchased it as well. Paid $139 at CompuSmart. So far I like it alot.

So that\'s how you do it... I wish there was a \"Return to My Location\" button or something.

MazdaTree
07-20-2006, 03:50 PM
Say if I were to say dl it and burn it:D would it still work or do I need a gps attachment?

if so how much?

justin
07-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by MazdaTree

Say if I were to say dl it and burn it:D would it still work or do I need a gps attachment?

if so how much?

AS long as you have a working CD key, in theory it should work.

Of course, you\'d still need a GPS attachment. They are pretty pricey though, starting at $450 according to the BestBuy website. Best to just buy the software, its only $150 at BestBuy.

majic
07-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by justin

Originally posted by MazdaTree

if so how much?

AS long as you have a working CD key, in theory it should work.

Of course, you\'d still need a GPS attachment. They are pretty pricey though, starting at $450 according to the BestBuy website. Best to just buy the software, its only $150 at BestBuy.

$30ish on ebay (http://electronics.search.ebay.ca/gps-receiver_GPS-Devices_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR3QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQk eywordZonQQsaatcZ2QQsacatZ34288QQsbrsrtZlQQstrkwZQ 20gps) for a gps device and then some time wasted on a d/l of S&T ;)

MAZDA Kitten
07-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Is it still on sale? I tried downloading it and I got a full version but something about \"ISO\" or something so I gave up and deleted the thing

AXCL
07-23-2006, 11:27 AM
The Software itself is only about $40 if you already have a GPS. Its 2 full CD\'s so if you ask me, for $40, its not worth the time to try to D/L it. Just buy it. Even without a GPS its pretty cool, but not half as usefull.

queens49
07-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

Is it still on sale? I tried downloading it and I got a full version but something about \"ISO\" or something so I gave up and deleted the thing

An ISO is an image file. Just burn it to a CD using Nero or something equivalent. The other way, would be to mount the image on Daemon Tools.

dredd2099
12-08-2006, 04:09 PM
bringing this back up
got a q
any1 usin this with their pocket pc?
need feedback

Xenon
01-02-2007, 11:24 AM
posket PCs need the SF or SD adaptor to use with the GPS Locator that comes with the software. This costs around $50 USD. $100 USD if you prefer the bluetooth attachment instead.

The product comes shipped with Pocket Streets which is very useful if you just want to find an address quickly without GPS navigation (that requires the previously mentioned adaptor)

I've used it a few times when I'm too impatient to wait for the Laptop to boot.

JDM+
01-04-2007, 01:00 PM
i am selling a street and tips 2006 w. gps locator for $XXX
used it only twice. and now i have a portable gps
so no use for this unit

majic
01-04-2007, 01:28 PM
i am selling a street and tips 2006 w. gps locator for $XXX
used it only twice. and now i have a portable gps
so no use for this unit

just like everyone else, put it up for sale in the classifieds section and do not forget the pictures..

please continue the review of S&T+gps in here

EvilEric
01-05-2007, 12:49 AM
I've got 2007 and it has a new "fuller" screen feature where u have larger buttons for when your driving.

I like it alot and i have high hopes that it will be more intuitive as newer versions are released. One thing I do not like is that it does not intitate GPS automatically when it loads and that you manually have to activate it.

The main feature that I like about this over regular GPS units is the ability to search for restaurants or attractions in areas and it includes their contact information as well.

I've gone on roadtrips where I literally arrive at 8pm and start dialing hotels until I get a room

If anyone wants a copy, next time we have a meet, bring a USB key that's big enough to hold stuff.