PDA

View Full Version : sound system??

sp3GT
07-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Hey everyone,

I\'m deciding to put in 2 rockford fosgate Punch subs in. I\'m looking at 12 inches rite now. The only thing I don\'t really understand is what amp do I really need? I don\'t understand the channel things at all and have no clue which one to get?

Thanks,

JMAK74
07-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Believe you should be asking this in here (http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/board.php?FID=20).

Moderators? Bueller? Anyone?

bluntman
07-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Moving to Interior Electrical Mods section.

TheProfessor
07-22-2006, 06:34 PM
If you don\'t \'get\' the whole channel thing I would suggest leaving the amp picking to a pro, and having them install it too.

xg3
07-23-2006, 11:41 AM
basically u only need 1 amp, a class D amp mono amp. With 2 subs, @ 4ohm each, you can wire them to 2ohm total, or @ 2ohm each, u can wire them to 1 ohm total. That being sad, with 2 sub @ 4 ohm, u want to wire them at 2ohm, yes there will be distortion, but bass is distortion itself and u will never hear the difference. so, find an amp that can handle 2ohm with resonably amount of power (RMS @ 2ohm) to power the 2 subs.

eg, Each sub handles 300 watt RMS

find an amp that does 500-700 watt rms @ 2 ohm, i preferably to overpower the sub, then u can just turn ur gain down.

do you need the same brand for amps and sub? No.

sp3GT
07-23-2006, 01:35 PM
I\'m looking on eBay rite now, they have a company on there with over 40,000 things sold. So it seems trustable.
The deal on there is 2 12inch Stage 2 Rockford FOsgate Punch subs. I beleive the max handling power on those are 300w each.
The only question I have rite now is where can I find a reasonable priced amp for those subs.

queens49
07-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by xg3

basically u only need 1 amp, a class D amp mono amp. With 2 subs, @ 4ohm each, you can wire them to 2ohm total, or @ 2ohm each, u can wire them to 1 ohm total. That being sad, with 2 sub @ 4 ohm, u want to wire them at 2ohm, yes there will be distortion, but bass is distortion itself and u will never hear the difference. so, find an amp that can handle 2ohm with resonably amount of power (RMS @ 2ohm) to power the 2 subs.

eg, Each sub handles 300 watt RMS

find an amp that does 500-700 watt rms @ 2 ohm, i preferably to overpower the sub, then u can just turn ur gain down.

do you need the same brand for amps and sub? No.

\"Bass is distortion itself\"?!?!?! Yeah, maybe if you have a crappy sub that just rattles things, and annoys everybody around. You probably have never heard of a sub that produces tight, clean bass. Sorry, to sound negative, but it just irks me, when you are telling something that is entirely false. The purpose of a sub is to reproduce low frequencies that the regular speakers can\'t produce themselves.

What you should do is find an amplifier that is matched with your subs. If the subs say 4ohm load, get an amplifier that can drive a 4 ohm load. Otherwise, if you get an amplifier that can\'t drive the subs, what can happen is the protection circuitry will kick in and start chopping up the signal, which will lead to distortion. Worst case, if the amp doesn\'t have a protection circuit or it\'s inadequate, you will destroy the output transistors and say bye bye to your new amp.

In the end it\'s up to you, if you either want a high quality sound system, or just a loud system.