PDA

View Full Version : Boosted 2.0L pulling 421 WHP at 20 PSI

CoolColombian
09-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Taken from M3F

Author: HiBoost MZ3(www.hiboost.com)

Well guys, I have been very busy with lots of work, but just wanted to tell you that the 2.0 liter Mazda 3 was finished last week. We tried the GT30R turbo and were not happy with the results, so we went with a GT35R turbo. Final numbers are 421 WHP at 20 PSI of boost.

The car has the BIG Boost kit with forged rods and 2.3 liter pistons. The 2.3 when installed in the 2.0 gets 8.5 :1 CR. We couln\'t wait for the custom made 2.0 pistons se went ahead and used the stock pistons out my car which I had sitiing here. They had to be modified to take the floating rods wrist pin.

The car is very fast and has gone 12.2 at the 1/4 mile.

Here are the mods:

2.0 liter engine
Cosworth Rods
8.5:1 pistons (Stock Mazda 3 2.3 units)
HiBoost BIG BOOST kit
GT35R turbo
60 lb/hr injectors
Haltech Boost controller
Auto Meter Boost Gauge
Haltech F10X fuel management system
HKS SSQV Blow off valve
Quaife LSD

I will take some pictures and videos of the car at the dyno and the track.

For those of you with the 2.0, let me tell you, this car is a beast and the Quaife ATB makes a huge difference.

The car can boost 18 psi on pump gas.

Next to come: Forged pistons, larger valves, stiffer springs, titanium retainers, HiBoost intake manifold and race proof 3rd and 4th gears.

Juan

justin
09-07-2006, 07:32 PM
This is the same turbo kit I\'m purchasing next spring.

Chuckie
09-07-2006, 07:39 PM
thats some massive torque steer!

For myself, I would be happy if it made 250whp.. 421 at the wheels is ridculous.

TheProfessor
09-07-2006, 09:28 PM
That is really impressive, those guys really know what they\'re doing. I have to assume though that the car is meant strictly for racing and not daily driving as that is a huge turbo and would suffer from a lot of lag in day to day driving.

Skarbro
09-07-2006, 10:18 PM
20 psi?? I wonder if this car would pass drive-clean.

justin
09-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by TheProfessor

That is really impressive, those guys really know what they\'re doing. I have to assume though that the car is meant strictly for racing and not daily driving as that is a huge turbo and would suffer from a lot of lag in day to day driving.

Yeah that\'s only for racing... no way that car is street legal... not with 421whp... then again, I\'d like to know how much whp the Hayabusa(sp?) is putting to the pavement, if it can rocket to 145mph at factory levels.

justin
09-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Skarbro

20 psi?? I wonder if this car would pass drive-clean.

I\'d be impressed if it did, but if it\'s only for racing, yeah... don\'t think that\'s gonna happen... LOL

Whos ur dadd
09-08-2006, 02:58 AM
That\'s insane. How do they get all that power to the pavement?

SABIO
09-08-2006, 03:20 AM
Big deal. So what\'s that A $10,000 engine? $15,000 Or more.

justin
09-08-2006, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Whos ur dadd

That\'s insane. How do they get all that power to the pavement?

Not a clue. What\'s really interesting is that they are using the factory pistons.

FLIPDADY
09-08-2006, 07:39 AM
Meh I would rather get a Speed3 and increase the boost.

TheProfessor
09-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Meh I would rather get a Speed3 and increase the boost.

I couldn\'t agree more. I have no idea why anyone would want to drop a minimum of $5K for the kit with no support from Mazda when you can just use that money towards the Speed3, still have a pretty quick car that is tuned from the factory, with full factory support, and likely a way higher resale value. Not to mention the Speed3 comes with a whole host of goodies that the non-MS3 doesn\'t come with.

Skarbro
09-08-2006, 09:16 AM
The MS3 aslo doesn\'t come with some goodies - like a sunroof and leather seats.

FLIPDADY
09-08-2006, 09:26 AM

The MS3 aslo doesn\'t come with some goodies - like a sunroof and leather seats.
Who needs all that when you have race seats and 4 windows? Sunroof cuts down on headroom and adds more weight. Look at the Integra Type-R.

majic
09-08-2006, 09:33 AM

Who needs all that when you have race seats and 4 windows? Sunroof cuts down on headroom and adds more weight. Look at the Integra Type-R.

and it softens up the chasis.. ;)

TheProfessor
09-08-2006, 09:38 AM

I can understand wanting/missing the sunroof, but in a car like the MS3 I wouldn\'t want leather...too slippery ;)

cyberscorpi0
09-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Is our Mazda 3 2.0 or 2.3 capable of handling 421 WHP?

TheProfessor
09-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by cyberscorpi0

Is our Mazda 3 2.0 or 2.3 capable of handling 421 WHP?

Well the motor from above is the Mazda 2.0 with beefed up internals. That\'s the key to building a high horsepower motor without blowing it.

MAZDA Kitten
09-08-2006, 10:44 AM

Early Type R\'s didnt even come with rear wiper to save on weight!!

Whos ur dadd
09-08-2006, 11:18 AM
To some extent, all this talk of buying a Speed3 in lieu of a HiBoost kit because of this and that doesn\'t necessarily mean squat. You can get a regular Mazda3, buy a kit and get gobs of power. Or you can get a Speed3 and get 200 hp (actually, I don\'t even know how many horsies it pulls) and a warranty. Once you up the boost on a Speed3 though, you may be outta warranty.

So, if the HiBoost kit makes the same hp as the Speed3 AND you\'re boosting a brand spanking new car, there may be no reason to go with the HiBoost kit.

If however, you\'ve have a 2 year old car for which you\'ve paid for, then bend over for the trade in value when you go buy your Speed3. Similarly, you can probably get a great deal on a second hand car and boost it up and still be significantly less than the Speed3. The warranty issue only comes into play when you don\'t mod the Speed3.

iconicrocket
09-08-2006, 11:26 AM
I would take reliability and factory warranty over insane horsepower anyday. That car is going to be asking for a blown engine or a messed up tranny.

wtom
09-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Some ppl like to buy the models that come built and ready for show.

Others like to buy the ones that you put together and customize it before it\'s ready for show. ;)

TheProfessor
09-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by wtom

Some ppl like to buy the models that come built and ready for show.

Others like to buy the ones that you put together and customize it before it\'s ready for show. ;)

You\'re 100% correct, and I think it\'s pretty evident which way each person who has posted in this thread leans towards.

midnightfxgt
09-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Nate is right

\"If however, you\'ve have a 2 year old car for which you\'ve paid for, then bend over for the trade in value when you go buy your Speed3. Similarly, you can probably get a great deal on a second hand car and boost it up and still be significantly less than the Speed3. The warranty issue only comes into play when you don\'t mod the Speed3. \"

Why would ppl buy the Hiboost kit over the MS3? Because they own the 3 already, and a trade in would cost them thousands more than the kit. I dont know why people are obssesed with the warranty. A moderate turbo kit with PROPER tuning should have no issues. My car is almost out of warrenty anyways. For me to go buy a MS 3 and trade in my car would cost me huge. More than a Hi-Boost kit would.

-John

justin
09-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by midnightfxgt

Why would ppl buy the Hiboost kit over the MS3? Because they own the 3 already, and a trade in would cost them thousands more than the kit. I dont know why people are obssesed with the warranty. A moderate turbo kit with PROPER tuning should have no issues. My car is almost out of warrenty anyways. For me to go buy a MS 3 and trade in my car would cost me huge. More than a Hi-Boost kit would.-John

Exactly. Tbe HiBoost kit is $3,950 USD, so converted to CAD, that\'s about $4,400. Trading in a 3 for Speed3 would cost GST, PST, Freight, PDI, etc. So you are looking at around $7,000 or so if you do this right now. Mind you, these numbers are based on trading in my 2 month old 2006 M3. YMMV, talk to Jeff if you want to get more accurate numbers based on your situation.

I am going to go the HiBoost kit way which costs me $3000 and change less than trading up. And I don\'t need to worry about installation costs as the kit can be done with a friend and a hoist in the space of a weekend (1 day for install, 1 day for tuning).

CoolColombian
09-09-2006, 06:55 PM
^^^ + 10

I haven\'t been arround this days to reply but that was my point, the Hi boost kit is the most reliable turbo kit for our cars out there and its a lot cheaper than the MS3, i love my car and for nice that the MS3 would be i don\'t wanna get rid off my car, i want to make it a better car.

One point that i think no body has talked about is the insurance, for me, insure my car cost me arround $200, hopefully $170 from November but if i get the MS3 my insurance will go up to $300 or $350 a month so there is no point to do it.

I\'ll get the HiBoost kit as soon as i get the chance.

justin
09-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by CoolColombian

^^^ + 10

I haven\'t been arround this days to reply but that was my point, the Hi boost kit is the most reliable turbo kit for our cars out there and its a lot cheaper than the MS3, i love my car and for nice that the MS3 would be i don\'t wanna get rid off my car, i want to make it a better car.

One point that i think no body has talked about is the insurance, for me, insure my car cost me arround $200, hopefully $170 from November but if i get the MS3 my insurance will go up to $300 or $350 a month so there is no point to do it.

Well said. I didn\'t even think about the insurance issue.

Since the car is brand new, and therefore doesn\'t have a rating (Skarbro can explain what ratings are and how they work), it will be godawful expensive on the monthly premiums.

Hopefully, you and I will be the first to boost our 3\'s in Ontario. ;) The race is on!

MazdaTree
09-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by justin

^^^ + 10

Well said. I didn\'t even think about the insurance issue.

Since the car is brand new, and therefore doesn\'t have a rating (Skarbro can explain what ratings are and how they work), it will be godawful expensive on the monthly premiums.

Hopefully, you and I will be the first to boost our 3\'s in Ontario. ;) The race is on!

Someguy is boosted already in Ottawa:p

It can be the race of the boosted 3 in the GTA:D

TheProfessor
09-10-2006, 01:04 AM
Justin et. al, according to your post(s) you will \'save\' $3K by not going the MS3 route. What about the fact that you will have a brand new car, a six speed tranny, LSD, HID\'s, 18\" rims, bigger brakes, warranty, no hassle from insurance or police (MS3 is obviously completely legal whereas an aftermarket turbo kit is likely not), no tuning necessary or installation, etc. That\'s a hell of a lot for only $3K more IMO. I\'m not saying it is necessarily the right choice for everyone, but you have to admit it does make sense financially.

Skarbro
09-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Being an insurance underwriter, I want to throw another angle at this.

The Mazdaspeed3 is perfectly acceptable by insurance companies because is comes with its power straight from the factory. However, once you add the CAI after the fact, the car has beem modded for more power - which means that just about every insurance company would drop you and/or deny a claim if they find out.

Modding your regular 3 is the same. Slap on a turbo kit or CAI, then you are modding for more power. The insurance company will drop you and/or deny a claim if they find out.

That said, they won\'t find out unless your car is inspected by them - i.e., an adjuster realizes your car is modded after an accident or something. This doesn\'t happen often.

So, I would rather pay $7,000 extra on the Mazdaspeed3 and be safe insurance, than pay $4,000 to turbo a regular 3.

justin
09-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by TheProfessor

Justin et. al, according to your post(s) you will \'save\' $3K by not going the MS3 route. What about the fact that you will have a brand new car, a six speed tranny, LSD, HID\'s, 18\" rims, bigger brakes, warranty, no hassle from insurance or police (MS3 is obviously completely legal whereas an aftermarket turbo kit is likely not), no tuning necessary or installation, etc. That\'s a hell of a lot for only $3K more IMO. I\'m not saying it is necessarily the right choice for everyone, but you have to admit it does make sense financially.

I can see your point about this... however, myself, I would rather mod the car than buy it factory with all of that stuff already on it.

The $3000 saved was only when compared to buying a HiBoost kit and returning the lease on a 2 month old regular M3. I have no intentions (yet) of installing a 6 speed tranny, LSD, 18\" rims etc.

I HIGHLY doubt that an aftermarket turbo kit is illegal, there is no mention of aftermarket turbo\'s in the HTA.

CoolColombian
09-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Justin lets just get the HiBoost kit, enjoy it every day and let the other guys worry about warranty and stuff. :p

iconicrocket
09-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Did anyone mention that the MazdaSpeed3 also add some structure rigidity over the regular hatch. Plus, the extra bracing the car gets on top of the goodies like LSD, 6-speed, HID and 18\" rims.

TheProfessor
09-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Yup, I also forgot to list the traction control and upgraded Blose stereo system!

justin
09-11-2006, 07:07 PM

Justin lets just get the HiBoost kit, enjoy it every day and let the other guys worry about warranty and stuff. :p

You bet! ;)

PhantomM3
09-11-2006, 07:59 PM
I agree with skarbro, you never know when your going to be in an accident and when you are you want to be covered and plus the MS3 has more goodies.:hoho

lukel90
09-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Justin , you wont be the first guy boosting a 3, my cousin is boostin his already at stock 8psi, and my kit will be on its way next week. i dont spend a lot of time on TM3 cause it seems most of the people here are interested in \"looks\" side instead of the performance part. whic theres nothing wrong with.. Boosting a 3 that didnt come with boost has a ot of issues that nobody thinks about...If you do decide to boost your 3, have a shitty cheap car as a beater in case things go wrong, because they will.

TheProfessor
09-12-2006, 08:11 AM
lukel90, will you be doing the tuning yourself or having somebody else do it?

3GFX
09-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Well, thats awesome. 400+ hp? Thats a fast car. A limited slip dif can obviosly be installed on the car, along with a host of other parts to a lasting drivetrain. So in truth its not 4400$CDN its 10,000$ because you have to beef up your trasnsmission, your chassis and of course other parts. So No doubt this is way better than a speed 3, but a little excessive no?

For someone who asked how much the Hayabusa was putting out...every 1000cc sportbike puts out between 150 and 200 hp. The haybusa is over 1000cc and I think is pushing 200 hp.

lukel90
09-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Im reszerarches shops in oakville, toronto. missisauga. As i never had a turbo on my cars a reputable shop is not that easy to find, you dont really know who to trust. Ive been on mazda3forums a lot more lately talking to the guys up in buffalo area and in and around the new york area. A few hours drive im willing to do in order to get a good tune.

The kit comes in pre-tuned form what i was talking about with Juan for 8psi. the kit should be here by the end of next week the last time we talked. As far as installing it goes, i might hold on and wiat for Juan to get a 3rd and 4th gears out. I dont really know hoe long that will take but it shouldnt be too long, in the mean time i can get other things in order like a Wideband, 38mm tial wastegate, which noe (thanksfully) comes with the new and improved kits. gauges would be a must as far as boost, oil pressure, oil temp, A/F. All thing i think im gonna have time to get while juan sorts out the development of the 3rd and 4th gears for out cars.

I read that the eagle rods and pistons dont come balanced when you order them, i emailed juan about that and i havent reacieved a answer yet as he would be one of the most knowledgable people to ask that. If thats the case i might go with JE\'s or something along those lines. Ill be sure to post pics when everything comes in and is being installed. I jsut hope Juan gets the 3rd and 4th gears done soon, as the mazda3 is my only car and i want to make sure i have everything before i attempt this install.

I know some poeple jsut got the kit and slapped it on, im just not that rich to be able to do that. i need to make sure this engine is solid before i give it boost, jsut my opinion though....Pics will be coming sometime in the near future.

PS.....You guys know of any shops that tune the Haltech.....good shops that is....i know the microtech would be the better choice now that im going FI as its a full stand alone unlike the haltech, but 1700 bucks....man it would be nice though...

for those questioning why im not just getting the mazdaspeed......not enough colours.....i love black..and the red or white in this kind of car just doesnt do it for me...