PDA

View Full Version : Windshield replacement recommendations

rktsci
09-08-2006, 08:27 AM
So I got a very small stone chip very low on the drivers side of my windshield. I went to the local Speedy glass shop to get the stone chip repaired to avoid a costly replacement. When he saw it he warned me that there was a 10% chance of the chip becomming a crack while doing the repair. Sure enough that was what happened and the guy was genuinely pissed that it happened and even refused to accept payment for the time that he did spend on the repair attempt.

So now i need a new windshield!

The guy at speedy quoted me $6-700 while my local Mazda dealer quoted my $700 for the windshield plus labor. Both of those prices is for the rain sensor windshield (And yes i know that the sensor is in the rearview mirror housing).

Now my question to all of you is would you use the OEM part or an after market one?

My insurance policy is quite generous when it comes to these types of the things so I don\'t really consider the cost a problem just the quality.

FLIPDADY
09-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Go OEM on the windshield. Xenon had an issue with the aftermarket glass and was lucky enough to get it fixed properly.

The glass would run you $462.06 plus taxes and labour is around $250.00 plus taxes for an OEM windshield.

rktsci
09-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Flip...if you\'re telling me 460+tax for the windshield why would my local dealer quote me $700?

FLIPDADY
09-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by rktsci

Flip...if you\'re telling me 460+tax for the windshield why would my local dealer quote me $700?
Dunno maybe it\'s some special glass us enthusiasts don\'t know about?:D

BTW, I priced the glass with the TM3 discount.

billyfo
09-11-2006, 05:42 PM
a few mths ago, Stanley quote me about $800+taxes, but I didn\'t tell him I\'m TM3 member at that time.

Jeff-TheBiz
09-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by rktsci

Is he including the labour?

Maybe it is a prescription windsheild.. cool, you wouldnt need to wear your glasses anymore.:)

SABIO
09-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Any dealer is free to set their own prices...correct??? (that goes for any store)

So it is up to the consumer to shop around... lucky for us... We have Joe and Jeff:D

Hip hip hooray!