PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question: ATX + Exhaust....

DrunknFoo
09-19-2006, 01:25 PM
I just wanted a post in this section. :P
After some thought, I've somewhat decided I'll add a bit more kick into my car.
I haven't fully made up my mind about which exhaust but that's not the reason for this post.

My question is for the ATX drivers out there. When downshifting either in fullauto or manumatic does the exhaust sound like arse due to the torque converter? The RPMs seem to match rev decently, but I'm wondering if the exhaust would sound like it's coughing out farts?

Broli
09-19-2006, 01:45 PM
mine sounds fine!

if u wanna hear sometime let me know

i am magnaflow, btw

Cardinal Fang
09-19-2006, 02:08 PM
When downshifting either in fullauto or manumatic does the exhaust sound like arse due to the torque converter? The RPMs seem to match rev decently, but I'm wondering if the exhaust would sound like it's coughing out farts?

Never happens to me in Auto mode. However, when I'm in manual mode I find that it occurs when I've downshifted while my revs were too high.

Besides I thought you kids loved that "coughing" noise so that it sounds like a rally car.

;D

DrunknFoo
09-20-2006, 12:38 AM
Well i would like to hear the exhaust when shifting down, as long as it's a smooth note rather then hearing it hicup.

I do like the sounds rally cars make when downshifting but the only reason they cough like that is cause they're dropping from like 6th>5th>3rd> real quickly right.
I would rather not hear the same effect if i was dropping the gears from 5>4 or 4>3...
=D

heh Broli, one day I'll be sure to come to a meet, (seriously I wish there were more nocturnal people on the boards to do a meet that'd fit around my current schedule). Either way, I think next month I'm getting shuffled around at work so we'll see..

Thanks again to the both for the reply.

Broli
09-20-2006, 01:23 AM
well i was testing it on the way home, i didn't notice a hiccup
it got louder when i down shifted

mine is 4 speed auto, not 5!

dsichewski
09-21-2006, 12:29 PM
Think it might be possible to get some audio clips on the board of the exhaust sounds? I know there were a couple audio clips on the old board but well unfortunatly thats not an option at the moment....I too was thinking about a mazdaspeed exhaust but I'm no where near making up my mind...but if ppl wouldn't mind posting audio sounds of their exhaust if they have the diff kinds, ie: mazdaspeed, magnaflow,etc... that would be awsome and greatly appreciated ;D

DrunknFoo
09-22-2006, 12:24 AM
From what I remember reading in the past, the mazdaspeed exhaust is the quietest of the exhausts out there. When compared to the magnaflow I believe the piping is the same size. (2.24" or so) compared to the stock which is around 1.8" (I think it was), Borla was 2.5" and the vibrant 2.8"? or close to 3. Can't remember the exact figures and I'm too lazy to search. =P

Now in regards to my decision, I'm leading towards either the mazdaspeed/Magnaflow (price dependant) because it isn't as loud, but then again I want the Vibrant for the performance. AHHH decisions decisions. My question now is which of the two options would give less loss of low end torque with respectable hp gains. I'm believing it would be the mazdaspeed due to the smaller piping (thinking about backpressure here)? Would anyone care to shed some light into this? =P

Oh wait, winter's comming up, I better get some winter tires first. Anyone wanna buy my RSA's? ;D

Ex-Rolla
09-23-2006, 11:57 PM
I have the MazdaSpeed exhaust with ATX and i'm very happy with it... if you're interested in hearing it, PM me.

Edit: ( dsichewski )I'll see if i can get some audio clips. It may have to wait a couple of days though.

Mark

CoolColombian
09-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Mine is 4 speed Auto, I have a Vibrant exhaust and only does the that "coughing" noise when downshifting having the A/C on, other than that I always drive manual and I love the sound of it.

dsichewski
10-01-2006, 09:48 PM
I have the MazdaSpeed exhaust with ATX and i'm very happy with it... if you're interested in hearing it, PM me.

Edit: ( dsichewski )I'll see if i can get some audio clips.* It may have to wait a couple of days though.

Mark

Hey that would be great....no rush. lol thanks appreciate it :)

DrunknFoo
10-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Well I was bored on my day off, I jumped in and bought the MazdaSpeed exhaust. (Thanks again Joe).
I love it, can't wait to get this stench out of the system after a few days.
:) (photos soon to follow once the weather cooperates and I'm able to wax the car, maybe with a new grille as well)

FLIPDADY
10-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Well I was bored on my day off, I jumped in and bought the MazdaSpeed exhaust. (Thanks again Joe).
:) (photos soon to follow once the weather cooperates and I'm able to wax the car, maybe with a new grille as well)

You're lucky you got in just before the price increase. ;)

The car sounds mad now. ;D

RedRaptor
10-03-2006, 11:33 PM

You're lucky you got in just before the price increase. ;)

The car sounds mad now. ;D

:o

Price increase? Wasn't there a decrease not too long ago?

DrunknFoo
10-04-2006, 03:24 AM
According to the list price. It is now 723.07 (-20% TM3 discount) + taxes.

Thank god I was bored that morning and said to myself, "why not mindlessly make a few purchases today".
Thanks again Joe. :D

1nmhbacky
03-31-2010, 12:40 AM
I was wondering the same thing
i have a atx mazda 3 sedan

saw some decent exhaust sytems, show me sometimes

mine sounds fine!

if u wanna hear sometime let me know

i am magnaflow, btw

bunchi
03-31-2010, 09:49 AM
thread back from the dead.... he doesn't have that car anymore :chuckle