PDA

View Full Version : eibach sportlines or prokit

fourtrack78
10-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Eibach sportlines or prokit other then the drop height what’s the difference? Would I need Sportline Alignment Kit?

ride, rubbing etc. need input looking for stuff to do next year.

FLIPDADY
10-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Stevie get the pro-kits for everyday driving.* Sportlines will wear the crap out of your tires and make your kids bounce all over the car.

I think bubba rides on pro-kits.

sbmonkey
10-26-2006, 12:56 PM
The lower drop will not increase tire wear, but create uneven wear due to increased negative camber. Getting the camber kit and setting it as close to stock will correct that, however. Your OEM shocks will wear faster.

FlipDaddio is correct that you will have a rougher ride with Sportlines.

Kevin@nextmod
10-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Actually, the lower you go the softer it is. The prokits actually will give you a stiffer or rougher ride then sportlines.

I like prokits since its stiffer and its not low. Its really self preference. If you want low then go sportlines, BUT be prepared and save up for shocks real soon since as those guys said it will kill your shocks really fast.

If you want just a minor drop and a bit performance then prokits is the way to go. Your shocks will last longer as well.

sbmonkey
10-26-2006, 10:44 PM
The Sportlines probably feel softer because it has a progressive spring rate from (Front) 97 - 280 (Rear) 114 - 303 compared to the Prokit's linear rate of (Front) 160 (Rear) 171. It's not always true that you get a softer ride when going lower as spring rates usually increase to compensate for the shorter spring.

bubba1983
10-27-2006, 06:14 AM
as mentioned....sportlines....are LOW....prepare for camber kit, or kiss your tires good by pre-maturely

if you want a good daily/winter drive, go prokits...its a very mild drop, but yet visually/performance effective..

sbmonkey
10-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Tires are not going to wear any faster with increased negative camber. You'll just have more wear on the inner compared to the outer part of the tire tread. Any kind of toe will increase tire wear. Of course, if you're spinning your tires at every light or stop sign...

bubba1983
10-27-2006, 03:35 PM
its still uneven wear which in my opinion is un-neccessary, and should be corrected. Why spend all that money on tires to unevenly wear our tires.

On a side note, when i got my alignment done by mazda, i was actually within their specs to my surprise on my prokits.
i think my one tire was out .01 of a degree

sbmonkey
10-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Uneven wear is not the same as premature wear. Rotate tires every oil change and you should be fine. And like you said, the camber kit will correct that. I do wish for some more neg. camber in the front, tho.

bubba1983
10-27-2006, 04:41 PM
^^ fair enuff....we'ze be stalemate!

sbmonkey
10-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Reset! :D

b
10-27-2006, 06:27 PM
its still uneven wear which in my opinion is un-neccessary, and should be corrected. Why spend all that money on tires to unevenly wear our tires.

On a side note, when i got my alignment done by mazda, i was actually within their specs to my surprise on my prokits.
i think my one tire was out .01 of a degree

Mine were fine too... after I had my springs installed.

Steven_mzd3
11-05-2006, 08:52 PM
well it's true that the sportlines does eat up ur shocks. Well im currently looking to purchase shocks for my 2004 mazda 3 hatch, it had sportlines and im not too sure what shocks would be best compatiable with the sportlines.

Some peeps have told me to go KYB, but all the yellow, black, white, the different models im not to sure about.... so what do you think is most compatiable?

b
11-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Incase you ever have to call a tow truck & you have a prokit installed... The CAA trucks can get under our front end & tow us. The tow truck driver from CAA was afraid he would damage the underside of my car on Saturday morning. Everything was fine. He had 5 - 10mm of clearance to get under.

So I would guess if you are on sportlines & ever need a tow truck... ask for a flat bed. They were almost going to call one for me because of the lip & being lowered.

sbmonkey
11-05-2006, 11:40 PM
well it's true that the sportlines does eat up ur shocks. Well im currently looking to purchase shocks for my 2004 mazda 3 hatch, it had sportlines and im not too sure what shocks would be best compatiable with the sportlines.

Some peeps have told me to go KYB, but all the yellow, black, white, the different models im not to sure about.... so what do you think is most compatiable?
I have no experience with KYB, but Koni yellows (aka Sport) are adjustable and go well with the Prokit. I don't see why they wouldn't go well with Sportlines as you can increase/decrease rebound until it feels right. They will provide much better dampening compared to OEM. Fronts are adjusted with a knob, but you have to take the rears out to adjust. (problem with the Mazda 3 of how the shock is mounted in the rear).

Steven_mzd3
11-07-2006, 12:29 AM
I needed a tow with my sportlines installed and i had to order a flat bed from CAA, but the frigging guy wanted a tip after he was done! :D then he told me that from next year peeps with lowered car have to pay extra although u have CAA!

well do you know that if the koni yellows are available for the mazda 3 and where can i get them?

royroy
11-07-2006, 01:39 AM
I needed a tow with my sportlines installed and i had to order a flat bed from CAA, but the frigging guy wanted a tip after he was done! :D then he told me that from next year peeps with lowered car have to pay extra although u have CAA!

well do you know that if the koni yellows are available for the mazda 3 and where can i get them?

+1 wanna know where to get them too

CanadaGTO
11-07-2006, 06:29 AM
We can get Koni products. The only ones I can see on their website are called the "Sports". Parts # 8741 1487LSport (front Left), 8741 1487RSport (front right), and 8040 1350Sport (rears).

Don't think these are the Yellows, but let me know if you want prices,

Thanks

bubba1983
11-07-2006, 07:33 AM

haha
here in the tri cities, along with the crooked WRP, the tow truck guys here are also Crooked!
they will charge you extra for a lowered vehicle, no matter what, haha

Wild Weasel
11-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Uneven wear is not the same as premature wear.* Rotate tires every oil change and you should be fine.* And like you said, the camber kit will correct that.* I do wish for some more neg. camber in the front, tho.

Uneven wear will lead to premature wear. Assume that a certain amount of rubber is being consumed as you drive. If all that rubber is evenly distributed across the tire, because the weight and forces are distributed properly across the surface of the tire, then the tread will go down much slower than if all that wear is occuring only on the inside or outside portion of the tread.

Since you're using less of the tread, that part gets worn faster than it otherwise would have been if you were using it all.

We can get Koni products. The only ones I can see on their website are called the "Sports". Parts # 8741 1487LSport (front Left), 8741 1487RSport (front right), and 8040 1350Sport (rears).

Don't think these are the Yellows, but let me know if you want prices,

Thanks

Koni Sports are the Yellows. The Koni Specials are the Reds.

On the topic of struts now... how are the OEM struts on these cars when it comes to doing suspension mods? On the j-bodies, they're completely useless. They'll blow even with a mild drop like the Prokits and I'd never recommend ever lowering a car with them. With the j-body, if you want to lower then you NEED some aftermarket struts.

Is that the case with the MZ3 as well?

bubba1983
11-07-2006, 08:26 AM
can only speak for myself
been runnin prokits now for id say just over a year and ahalf (put them in teh car within teh first year i had it) so far stocker struts still kickin pretty damn good!

altho i do have some MS ones kickin for backups

Kevin@nextmod
11-07-2006, 09:48 AM
I can double check the part number for you guys if you need. I have the koni's since um....i unno 6 months ago? They are pretty sweet and i'm still lovin them. KYBs are good but only if its the silver ones. My buddy have them for his civic with neuspeed springs and its really holding up on the track.

I'd suggest Koni's for sure.

CanadaGTO
11-07-2006, 10:01 AM
I can double check the part number for you guys if you need. I have the koni's since um....i unno 6 months ago? They are pretty sweet and i'm still lovin them. KYBs are good but only if its the silver ones. My buddy have them for his civic with neuspeed springs and its really holding up on the track.

I'd suggest Koni's for sure.

That would be great if you could check the part numbers. They should be the same as the ones I listed above.

Thanks

Wild Weasel
11-07-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm a big Koni fan as well. I've been running them for years now with various springs and they're top notch!

Kevin@nextmod
11-07-2006, 08:27 PM
The part numbers are correct!

Steven_mzd3
11-07-2006, 11:31 PM
well i guess i will go with the Koni sport! cuz my rear struts are completely gone cuz of the sportlines! But hey i LOVE how it looks ;D