PDA

View Full Version : Cost to Install Stock Navi System in Mazda3? is it possible even?

faibs
12-02-2006, 02:49 AM
I don't have it now but I would rather have that then a Garmin/TomTom one that has to suck onto the dash or windshied and have a wire going through the car to the lighter adapter.

so a)whats the cost of the navi system from mazda
b) is it any good
c) is it even possible to put it in now?

S.F.W.
12-02-2006, 10:38 AM
I didn't go to the stock setup, I went one better.
Pioneer in dash setup. 7" touch screen:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-S5YZU65KpyG/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=Z1&i=130AVICZ1

McGuyver_3
12-02-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't have it now but I would rather have that then a Garmin/TomTom one that has to suck onto the dash or windshied and have a wire going through the car to the lighter adapter.

so a)whats the cost of the navi system from mazda
b) is it any good
c) is it even possible to put it in now?

wouldnt even bother with the stock navi its gonna cost you more then an aftermarket system. Trust me i looked in to it and its not pretty. 2000$ for the screen, another 1000$ for the harness and atleast another 1000-2000 for the antenna and dvd rom and whatever else is needed. Those were prices about 5 months ago. It was also needed to be imported from the states because at the time we did not have the nav yet.

Skarbro
12-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Yeah the cost is ridiculous.

Personally, I have my eyes and ears out for a portable GPS system. They're quite a bit cheaper.

faibs
12-02-2006, 12:36 PM
you guys think its possible to install an aftermarket 3.5 inch screen one and in the front left corner of the car/dash (botton left of windshied) and internally wire the power outlet?? if so, im all for that

Skarbro
12-02-2006, 12:41 PM
you guys think its possible to install an aftermarket 3.5 inch screen one and in the front left corner of the car/dash (botton left of windshied) and internally wire the power outlet?? if so, im all for that

Anything is possible if you have the money.

faibs
12-02-2006, 01:22 PM
lol can it really cost that much?

i like sex

FLIPDADY
12-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Get an in-dash unit or a portable depending on your budget.

SoopaBanana
12-02-2006, 04:31 PM
i like sex

.... am I missing something here?

About a month ago I got a Garmin Nuvi 350 and I haven't looked back... The ability to take it anywhere really helps.

Let me know if u need some more info on those.

faibs
12-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Get an in-dash unit or a portable depending on your budget.

is there a way to internally wire it? like jeff has with his satellite radio

MattC
12-05-2006, 01:45 PM
.... am I missing something here?

About a month ago I got a Garmin Nuvi 350 and I haven't looked back...* The ability to take it anywhere really helps.

Let me know if u need some more info on those.

How updated are the Toronto maps?

I am looking to get one of these, but I am wonder how easy it is to input the end destination. do you have to search through lists of addresses? or is it simple to put the address of where you want to go?

SoopaBanana
12-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Hmmm... I can bring it to a meet and show you if u want...

As for updated maps, I haven't come across a street thats off...

royroy
12-06-2006, 01:36 AM
I didn't go to the stock setup, I went one better.
Pioneer in dash setup.* 7" touch screen:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-S5YZU65KpyG/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=Z1&i=130AVICZ1

wt dash kit did u use?? coze i am thinking of getting one of these touch screens too ><

S.F.W.
12-06-2006, 09:01 AM
I had all the custom work done at Lockdown. They took a metra kit, and modified it to fit this deck, and my car. It was almost a full day job, creating the custom kit, doing all the wiring as well. Now the deck does everything I want, maps, has a built in hard drive to rip MP3&#039;s too, connects to my bluetooth cell phone, etc...

faibs
12-06-2006, 09:09 AM
I had all the custom work done at Lockdown. They took a metra kit, and modified it to fit this deck, and my car. It was almost a full day job, creating the custom kit, doing all the wiring as well. Now the deck does everything I want, maps, has a built in hard drive to rip MP3&#039;s too, connects to my bluetooth cell phone, etc...

whats the model of ur equipement and cost? any pics?

S.F.W.
12-06-2006, 12:53 PM
I bought the pioneer Avic-Z1. It retails for about $2300, but I paid a little less than that including install. Keep in midn the ipod adapter, bluetooth adapter, backup camera(to be installed), Xm radio and traffic module, are all seperate add on items. But they all connect very nicely.
Pictures...I never put any up, because I was waiting for the new board. I&#039;ll post up some pictures int he next day or so. However, a lot of people have seen the install, and were pretty imrpessed.

queens49
12-06-2006, 01:40 PM
I bought the pioneer Avic-Z1. It retails for about $2300, but I paid a little less than that including install. Keep in midn the ipod adapter, bluetooth adapter, backup camera(to be installed), Xm radio and traffic module, are all seperate add on items. But they all connect very nicely.
Pictures...I never put any up, because I was waiting for the new board. I&#039;ll post up some pictures int he next day or so. However, a lot of people have seen the install, and were pretty imrpessed.

Please do. *Drool* I was looking at the Pioneer website about all the things it could do, and I&#039;m full of envy. Such an amazing setup.

royroy
12-06-2006, 03:52 PM
I bought the pioneer Avic-Z1.* It retails for about $2300, but I paid a little less than that including install.* Keep in midn the ipod adapter, bluetooth adapter, backup camera(to be installed), Xm radio and traffic module, are all seperate add on items.* But they all connect very nicely.
Pictures...I never put any up, because I was waiting for the new board.* I&#039;ll post up some pictures int he next day or so.* However, a lot of people have seen the install, and were pretty imrpessed.

Please do.* *Drool** *I was looking at the Pioneer website about all the things it could do, and I&#039;m full of envy.* Such an amazing setup.

+1 for pics!!coze i wanna see how ur dash kit looks like ><

JPAV8S4U
12-08-2006, 12:18 PM
I am doing nav as we speak. I am putting in a panel mount as I decided that I would like the added features and larger screen. Not to mention a clean install..... no matter how well you do a protable, it will look portable. If you do a very very good install on a portable, it wont be easily portable. Give and take from what I see. I bought the single din dash piece that fits over the center vents on the dash from eday (140 US). The reason I went this way was for two reasons (1) I can keep my stock head unit and trip computer info etc (2)I can keep it stock looking and easily remove the hardware when I get ride of the car. I went with a Kenwood setup..... I read a lot of reviews and narrowd it down to either pioneer or kenwood. Kenwood won due to the fact that they use Garmin nav for their system and being a pilot, our GPS systems aboard are run primarily with Garmin. They are the best in Aviation. I bought the equipment through saletronics in San Diego.... did a deal for the screen,gps and ipod. The ipod adapter will superimpose my ipod on the screen and I can use it as touch screen.... just as i would the real ipod... many ways to manipulate the ipod with this setup. The cost for the whole deal.... this is an estimate seeing that I havent installed it yet:

Dash Kit - 200
Kenwood XXV-05V 7" Screen - 1300
Kenwood KNA-G510 GPS - 550
Kenwood KCA-IP500 Ipod - 50
Install (Lockdown) est - 150

Total - 2200 est

Price included US conversion of funds and estimated duty and shipping.

justin
12-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Pictures...I never put any up, because I was waiting for the new board. I'll post up some pictures int he next day or so. However, a lot of people have seen the install, and were pretty imrpessed.

Ami's setup is by far, the nicest and the cleanest I've ever seen. And it's loud as fark. His GPS system is pretty slick too.

Broli
12-08-2006, 01:36 PM
gps is great!

ami, when u need to update maps, do u have to by a new unit or just a new dvd to upload them?

royroy
12-08-2006, 05:11 PM
gps is great!

ami, when u need to update maps, do u have to by a new unit or just a new dvd to upload them?

i was doing some research on AVIC z1..coze i was planning to get one too. but i was worrying about the dash kit.... i think the mapping system is stored in the 30gb hd... and whenever you wanna update your system or add something to the system is through the navi disc or something liek that..

justin
12-08-2006, 05:50 PM
gps is great!

most GPS units now can do either DVD install or download them via the satellite connection... depends on the model.... no new head unit required.

S.F.W.
12-08-2006, 05:58 PM
most GPS units now can do either DVD install or download them via the satellite connection... depends on the model.... no new head unit required.

I can update the maps with the pioneer DVD, it just updates the hard drive.
As for the dash kit, a regular kit will not fit this unit very well. Lockdown did a great job of making sure my install was clean. Almost looks stock. Come out to the holiday dinner, and see it in person.

royroy
12-08-2006, 06:01 PM
As for the dash kit, a regular kit will not fit this unit very well. Lockdown did a great job of making sure my install was clean. Almost looks stock. Come out to the holiday dinner, and see it in person.

too bad i got exams >< can't make it!!

Broli
12-08-2006, 07:07 PM
no new head unit required.

haha

i meant the gps unit or not the headunit!

that would be expensive!

meh, my gps has a sexy voice talking to me . . .
ok its not that sexy :(

lol

royroy
12-08-2006, 07:09 PM

oo btw... when u installed ur Z1... did u lose ur control from the steering wheel??or did lockdown wired it back for u?

MazdaTree
12-09-2006, 03:37 AM
oo btw... when u installed ur Z1... did u lose ur control from the steering wheel??or did lockdown wired it back for u?

usually you need to buy a steering wheel interface adapter to hook them back up...

3GFX
12-09-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm wondering if its possible just to get the stock dash for the navigation. The piece of the dash that opens up above the vents. You could probably thereafter install a navi of your choice.

S.F.W.
12-09-2006, 10:44 AM

I didn't lose my steering wheel controls. There is an additional module(forget what it's called), that sets up the steering wheel controls via IR.

Skarbro
12-09-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm wondering if its possible just to get the stock dash for the navigation. The piece of the dash that opens up above the vents. You could probably thereafter install a navi of your choice.

Ask Flippy! I'm kind of curious myself.

azn_outlaw
12-15-2006, 09:30 PM
does anyone actually have pics of the OEM navi offered in the Mazda3?

JPAV8S4U
12-16-2006, 01:31 AM
haha

i meant the gps unit or not the headunit!

that would be expensive!

meh, my gps has a sexy voice talking to me . . .
ok its not that sexy :(

lol

Does the girl who's voice is talking to you have a unibrow? Cuz we all know you find them sexy ;)