PDA

View Full Version : Yes me again with yet another compustar starter question

McGuyver_3
12-09-2006, 08:44 PM
So, if you have all read my previous posts i have had many questions about my compustar remote starter. I have solved almost all of them except for one.
The question goes:
When i press the remote start button everything lights up as it should and the bypass for the key is hooked up and programmed properly but the car does not start. The problem is that the clutch is not being pressed by the starter. i know this because i sat in the car and pressed the remote starter button and pushed in the clutch the car started. If anybody has a slight clue to what I am talking about could some one help me. I have been going insane with my car at the body shop and my starter not working in this coldness. I have heard alot about people bypassing the clutch which sounds good but i think that is somewhat dangerous if someone drives my car that the starter jumps and hits something. Then i also seen in the wiring mannual book that there is a neutral safety switch. I was thinking of hacking that and putting my own switch in there but i am worried if i modify that that my car wont shift or not because i dont know if it is mechanically or electrically controlled.
Help Please

thanks in advanced

my_mazda3

MPS
12-12-2006, 04:04 PM
when you turn of ur key is ur car still running ??? if not ur started is not wired the rite way ... the way compustar works is u have to be in nutral and hand brake on when you shut of ur car then get out and close the door thats when it will shut of and know its good to start using the starter
also on the brain it self there is a loop for auto and manual i dont recall if you cut it for manual cars but open that litl door on the brain and see what is there

McGuyver_3
12-12-2006, 06:28 PM
yes the car does continue to run when the key is out of the ignition and when i open the door to get out and close the door the car shuts off and arms itself.
My problem with this is when i push the starter button all the dashlights illuninate like normal and the car does not crack or start. When I sit in the car and have the car setup for the autostart and push in the clutch the car crancks and starts. The pager then gets the signal and tells me the car will run for 15 minutes.

So my main problem i know is the clutch pedal not being noticed by the compustar systen when i press the starter button.
Hopefully rthat explains my situation a little better

thanks for your effort in trying to help

my_mazda3

southpawboston
12-13-2006, 09:11 PM
the problem is that the "starter" wire from your compustar is hooked up wrong. it is hooked up before the clutch-starter interupt switch (i.e., between the ignition switch and the clutch switch), but it should be hooked up *after* (i.e., between the switch and the starter relay). the clutch switch is an N/O (normally open) switch that becomes closed when you press the clutch pedal. by closing the switch, it closes the circuit between the ignition switch and the starter relay. does that help?

also, by doing this, you are not bypassing the clutch switch. when you go to start the car normally (without the compustar), you will still need to push the clutch pedal to engage the starter. you are only bypassing the switch for the compustar, not for manual operation of the ignition switch.

southpawboston
12-13-2006, 09:43 PM
EDIT:

i researched this a bit more, and realized that it's not as simple as i stated above.

apparently one of the clutch switch wires needs to be grounded during crank. this wire can be found in the driver's kick panel (too hard to get to the switch itself. it's one of three grey/black wires. the rest you will have to figure out.

McGuyver_3
12-15-2006, 12:32 PM
I appreciate the input and help. Last night at the meet i found out that like you stated the wire is not hooked up properly. Mazdaspeed is getting some diagrams for me to check out which wire i have to tap in to.
I will keep you posted on what happens
thanks so much

my_mazda3

i got it working I really appreciate all of the input. The problem was that the starter wire in the steering cloumn is on they keyside. You need the other side which is located in the drivers kick panel. I appreciate everybodys contribution.

my_mazda3