PDA

View Full Version : How To Aim Your Headlights

Xenon
12-14-2006, 06:37 PM
Well I've been more than happy to help a lot of members get their beam patterns right and maximize their light output from their HIDs. I thought I would do a small write up on how (from my experience) to aim your headlight properly, to maximize output, reduce glare to oncoming traffic, and get that signature HID colour from your projectors.

A few things before I start. This write up is from my OWN experience. I've gathered this information through research, helping fellow members aim headlights, studying the different beam patterns from different model years, and trying to figure out how our Mazda3 projectors work. The information here may be different from what Mazda tells you, or recommends, and I am not responsible if you damage your equipment or have any other negative outcome from trying to do any of what is explained in this post.

Assumptions:
You are performing this aiming on a Mazda3. Hatch or sedan, doesn't matter.
You have not modified the OEM housings in any way.
Instructions contained within are for the OEM halogen housings only. OEM HIDs do not apply.

A few facts:
The colour of the light should be white (Between 4000 and 6000K HID, or halogen bulbs). Any other colour (including 6000+ K HID or aftermarket tinted bulbs) may yield different results.
The "purple-ish" colour of HIDs is produced by the prism effect of the project. NOT the HID bulb kelvin temperature. This is a common mistake.
The results in this post, assume you have an HID kit. Aftermarket tinted bulbs or regular halogen bulbs may yield a different result (more on that later).

The Good Stuff:
Alright Here is how your headlights SHOULD be aimed.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/xenons3/Forum%20Linked%20Pictures/MZ3BeamPattern.jpg

Actual Cut Off, As Per Style 1:
http://www.shadowmg.com/lawrence/P1000148a.JPG

Actual Cut Off, As Per Style 1, Guide Lines Added:
http://www.shadowmg.com/lawrence/P1000148b.JPG
Note: The light above the top red line is the purple light refraction from the projector. It is NOT apart of the cutoff. Just an addition to it.

The Top Diagram is for a 04-06 Mazda3 Housing. Both the left (light blue) and the right (dark blue) beams should overlap, and be perfectly level with each other. The purple dots at the top of the beam pattern represent the rich purple colour produced by the previously mentioned prism effect of the projector. It should be most pronounced at the top of the right beam, and in the space between the two steps (the slanting diagonal slope) of each beam. 2004 Housings will be more difficult to aim, as the projector is frosted which blurs the cut off. This frosting was fixed in 2005+ models. Note this diagram is a representation of how the beams should look if shining onto a wall approximately 20 feet away. Without a wall stopping the light path, the left beam will eventually join the right beam, combining to make one beam with one noticeable step in the pattern.

The Middle Diagram is for a 2007 Mazda3 Housing. Note the obvious difference from the pre-2007: The Left Beam (light blue) is BELOW the Right beam. A 2007 headlight can be aimed in the same way as a pre-2007 headlight, without suffering performance. However, the 2007 beam, if aimed like in the diagram, produces a sharper cut-off, and a much richer purple colour. The reason for this different aiming style, is because the LEFT projector has changed for 2007. The top portion (after the "step in the beam) of the left beam pattern now fades as the beam goes to the right. The Left beam, on the right side is actually very weak in comparison to previous years. It has also been noted that the left beam does not move to the right as much as distance increases (unlike the pre-2007). Again I would like to emphasize that 2007 headlights can be aimed as shown in the 2004-2006 diagram. This aiming style is simply to create a sharper cutoff, with more purple colour, without sacrificing performance.

In Both Cases (top and middle diagram) the right beam is at the same height (I.E. the 2007's left light is aimed further down than a pre-2007's left light), which should be slightly downslope from the headlight source. According to US Law, headlight beams are to be aimed downward at an angle greater than 2.5 degrees below horizontal. Although there is no law like this in Ontario, it is a good guide.

The last diagram in the top picture shows the approximate beam pattern from the side of the car. The top of the beam should be aimed slightly downslope. If the beam is on an upslope, you WILL be glaring upon oncoming traffic, and the poor person in front of you. It is important that you adjust the height of the beam while on a LEVEL surface, and with a wall at a significant distance away from the vehicle.

If you have any questions, post here. I'd be happy to answer them. I will try and get pictures of what the beam patterns look like in real life when I have a chance. I have 2007 Housings on my 2004 hatch. I will get a picture of the 2007 cut off as soon as possible.

P.s. With regards to halogen bulbs and aftermarket tinted bulbs, Aim the headlights just the same in the diagrams, but you will have little to no purple from the prism effect because of the nature of the bulb.

Skarbro
12-14-2006, 06:44 PM
I noticed that my light pattern has always been like the 2004-2006 pattern. I always wondered if it was out of alignment. But you are saying the right side is supposed to appear higher like in the diagram? Do you know why its like that and not all one flat level?

Xenon
12-14-2006, 06:53 PM
The only time the right beam should be higher than the left beam is if you have 2007 housings, specifically the 2007 left projector. The 2007 left projector pattern is weird. It's less sharp than the right, and it fades rapidly to the right (you can see this on 2007 housings if you cover the right headlight). I found that if the two patterns are level for a 2007, the cutoff becomes really blurry beyond the right side of the beam "step". In addition to that, the purple colour of the right beam, gets drowned out by the overlapping left beam. On the left beam, the purple tends to be concentrated at the top, so by aiming it this way, it will be just above the lower portion of the right beam. By lowering the left beam, the you still have all your light output, but you let the right projector take care of the final cutoff, and all the purple colour is concentrated ABOVE the cut off, instead of drowned out in it. Not to mention lowering the left beam almost eliminates any glare from the left headlight to oncoming traffic.

If yours is a 2006, I suggest you leave your headlights aimed in the first diagram. If they are aimed in that way, you already have the best output and you should have a noticeable purple spot just above the cutoff. The 2006 projectors join a lot sooner than the 2007, so drowning out the purple areas (which provide that nice HID purple colour to oncoming traffic) isn't an issue, as when the beam joins, everything will be in it's place.

I jsut want to note that the 2007 and 2004-2006 housings are different. The reflectors in them have changed, which has effectively changed the beam pattern.

i hope that answers your question.

b
12-14-2006, 06:58 PM

sp3GT
12-14-2006, 08:13 PM
I have an 06 HB.
I've been trying to adjust my Hid's through the 2 screws. Even though I've adjusted it many times my passenger side beam still shoots out further. They look perfectly aligned when i'm close to a wall though.
Also when i'm close to a wall the driver side shows a more concentrated light; kinda like a blob while the passenger side doens't show that. I know it's not the bulbs because I've already tryed swapping them.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Xenon
12-14-2006, 10:54 PM
OK, so there are two issues here. The passenger side beam shoots out further than the driver, and the second one is that the driver side shows more concentrated light.

I can help you with the first one. When facing a wall, both beams appear separate. however when driving, the left beam eventually pairs with the right beam to create one huge beam. In other words if you were to trace the beam far enough, there will eventually only be ONE step, because the beams will overlap. Remember the step I told you about in the first post? well on the ground, the right side of the step actually is what shoots the light far. Check out the diagram below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/xenons3/Forum%20Linked%20Pictures/Beampattern.jpg

See how the step actually sends the beam further along the road on the right side? This is perfectly normal, and ALL hid projectors do this in one way or another. So, it's not the right headlight that is sending more light, it's the combination of both.

As for the concentration of light in your left headlight, it's hard for me to see without pictures. If you could take a picture of your over-bright left headlight, I might be able to help you.

MajesticBlueNTO
12-14-2006, 11:25 PM
A few things before I start. This write up is from my OWN experience. I've gathered this information through research, helping fellow members aim headlights, studying the different beam patterns from different model years, and trying to figure out how our Mazda3 projectors work. The information here may be different from what Mazda tells you, or recommends, and I am not responsible if you damage your equipment or have any other negative outcome from trying to do any of what is explained in this post.

Way to cover your a$$ lol

Xenon
12-15-2006, 12:10 AM
Touche

CoolColombian
12-15-2006, 01:07 AM
Excellent write up man! Thanks.

sp3GT
12-15-2006, 02:10 AM
My right beam shoots farther like yur image above.
These are the only pics I have. Dunno if they do anything but I tried to point it out on the ground. I didn't take a pic when it was facing my garage cuz it's a lot more obvious when it is. Second pic shows best my problem.

Thanks,

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/sp3GT/IMG_1145-edited.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/sp3GT/IMG_1148-edied.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/sp3GT/IMG_1157-web.jpg

Xenon
12-15-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't see anything too abnormal in your headlights, judging by the pictures. The only thing I can think of is that your housing reflector is different in the left one. Reason? I have no idea. Could be that your car was built just as a minor housing change was made and one is slightly different than the other, but there is no real way for me to tell.

Also, picture never do justice to HIDs or light patterns. I'd have to see it in real life to give you a more educated response.

sp3GT
12-15-2006, 11:10 AM
I'll take some more pics of it shining at my garage when I have time.
It probably wasn't smart of me to play around with the two leveling screws.

JPAV8S4U
12-22-2006, 06:51 PM
I don't see anything too abnormal in your headlights, judging by the pictures. The only thing I can think of is that your housing reflector is different in the left one. Reason? I have no idea. Could be that your car was built just as a minor housing change was made and one is slightly different than the other, but there is no real way for me to tell.

Also, picture never do justice to HIDs or light patterns. I'd have to see it in real life to give you a more educated response.

Hey bro... Since the new suspension overhaul.... My HID's seem to shoot a wee bit too low for my liking... Any chance you could adjust them up a wee bit for me at a meet? Im really not game for doing that as id screw something up surely! Thanx!

Xenon
12-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Sure I can do that. I can make it to AA meetings, but I only go to meets if I have time. Sometimes my schedule can be really busy.

sp3GT
01-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Hey Xenon, i looked more closely at my lights and I realize my beam pattern looks more like the following (i cropped it from your original pic):
I kinda have like a step in between, another problem I'm starting to realize is my driver side is always more blue then my passenger side and I kno it's not the bulbs because I've already tried swapping them.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/sp3GT/Beampattern-edit.jpg

Xenon
02-07-2007, 09:50 PM
If your beam pattern looks like the above picture, that means that your left beam is too low. Aim it higher to match the right one.

As for the colour of the bulb, first check that the bulbs are indeed the same temperature. Secondly, be sure you have let the bulbs "burn in". The last explanation would be defective equipment. Check and make sure all connections are solid, and that your igniter and ballast are alright.

sp3GT
02-08-2007, 11:49 PM
If you're saying my left bulb is too low, I guess that explains why it looks much brighter then the right one when shot at a wall. I'm 100% sure the bulbs are same colour, as for the wiring, I've checked that before once already.
It's not bugging me as much anymore, I've kinda forgot about it.
But i still want to fix it. haha

Thanks xenon.

FLIPDADY
02-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Sticky!

Thanks for your help Law.

pahecko
02-14-2007, 11:10 AM
So the passenger side in the 07 models should seem higher correct?

Yet, viola:

http://pachecomedia.com/carpics/housing.jpg

06 and my driver side seems lower. much lower. it's really noticeable when I'm driving. I'm only bringing this up because I have been hit on that side and the housing was scuffed so I'm wondering if I should be removing my bumper to check out the housing...

Xenon
02-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Although the driver's side is supposed to be lower, the picture you have posted shows that it is too low.

The diagrams in the first post are representation of the beams at approximately 20 feet from a solid, flat wall. If your beam is so low at nearly one foot from the wall, when that is extended to a legnth of 20 feet, it will only dip lower. I would advise that you find a level surface that has a light coloured wall that you can shine your lights on. You can then aim the beams accordingly.

I would like to repeat what I said in the first post, that having the driver's side lower than the passenger's side is optional for the 2007 models. You can raise the beam on the left if you don't mind blurring your cut off a little bit for the look of uniformity.

Xenon
02-17-2007, 01:53 AM
Pictures of Cut Off Added to first post. Please refer to these pictures,

sp3GT
02-17-2007, 01:39 PM
How far away from the wall was that picture taken ?

Xenon
02-17-2007, 05:09 PM
About 25-30 feet.

Nick
12-19-2007, 05:57 PM
i just have stock lights, but what am i looking for to aim them? i checked my manual and it shows a scroll but i don't have that option. theres also the automatic one but im sure my car isn't that high tech. does anything need to be removed to get the the adjustments?

Xenon
01-17-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm going to rewrite my first post in the very near future. I will include all information that is already there, but I will also include instructions on how to mechanically adjust the level of the light (i.e. which screws to turn etc).

x_o_k_x
03-06-2008, 05:06 PM
I had to aim my headlights higher when I installed HIDs since I found it was to low, havent got blinked not once.. and that diagram is more like mine at about 50feet lol

stevenma188
02-27-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm going to rewrite my first post in the very near future. I will include all information that is already there, but I will also include instructions on how to mechanically adjust the level of the light (i.e. which screws to turn etc).

Did this writeup ever happen? I need to adjust mine after lowering, and can't figure out how to turn the adjustment knob. I found out it's location from the service manual, but do I take off the white cap, or turn it with the cap or what?

ST3ALTH
02-27-2010, 01:25 PM
on my 07 hatch my right light is a bit higher and i also have the option of adjusting the height of my head lights from inside my car with a button....i love that

stevenma188
02-27-2010, 01:26 PM
^Ya, leveling motor on cars that came with HIDs stock.

JaYson
06-10-2010, 11:09 AM
does anyone have measurments for how the HIDs should be set? (instead of eyeballing)

I think i read somewhere that there should be about a 2" drop from being as close to a wall as possible to about 25' away?

pnoy_vokal
10-30-2010, 05:45 AM
i have 2010 hatch and lowered on prokit
now my headlights are too low..... I can even see the cut off line on the road
please help

chan7
11-02-2010, 02:11 AM
i have 2010 hatch and lowered on prokit
now my headlights are too low..... I can even see the cut off line on the road
please help

i'm having the same trouble too after lowering and replacing my headlights at the dealership. Here is a document i found off another forum (forgot where), but unsure if I should ask dealership or DIY

*** not sure if diagram applies for 2010 headlights***

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_irXmfOOvYxI/TM-qnAP3ziI/AAAAAAAAAJ0/E3NmfBb30h8/s720/20080322pm103512bp7.jpg

chan7
11-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Just going back on this topic, I finally adjusted my headlights. After reading some posts on other forums (i.e mazda3forums), here the scoop on the 2010 Mazda 3 headlights.

On the back of the headlight, the adjustment wheel is the plastic wheel that has roughly 8 mm hex like this: (turn outward to lower, turn inward to rasie it)
http://stellar.cleanandquiet.com/upload/store/mazda3headlight.jpg

Could not find a way to adjust left or right, don't think we can (correct me if I'm wrong)

Default User
04-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Did this writeup ever happen? I need to adjust mine after lowering, and can't figure out how to turn the adjustment knob. I found out it's location from the service manual, but do I take off the white cap, or turn it with the cap or what?

+1

yearoftherat
04-20-2011, 11:22 AM
You have to take off the white caps. Underneath are the adjustment screws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheepe
09-26-2012, 12:27 AM
So did anyone figure out how to adjust horizontally on the 2010+ models?

leecheefoto
09-26-2012, 12:44 AM
So did anyone figure out how to adjust horizontally on the 2010+ models?

Don't think there's horizontal, maybe the higher class ones with self adjusting inside car does.

stovetop
09-27-2012, 12:24 PM
just make sure you don't aim them so high that you blind the driver in front of you.
that's a huge peeve of mine.

gregayoup
06-14-2013, 01:41 AM
Hello,

I have a 2007 mazda 3 sport with halogens stock (but i put hids in)

I tried to understand your how to on headlights aiming, but I didn't quite understand it, im more visual (and two of the pictures are not working also)

I was wondering if you can maybe help me understand how to properly aim them so I have the best output and cutoff

if its easier by phone let me know and ill give you my number to call

thanks in advance!

Greg

greffer31
12-06-2013, 09:21 AM
does anyone know if you have to remove the headlight housings to get to the adjustment screws?

Stathakos
12-06-2013, 12:00 PM
does anyone know if you have to remove the headlight housings to get to the adjustment screws?

If you actually need to remove the housings to adjust the lights (not sure) then you would have to take off the bumper

Wisecraker
12-06-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm really happy with my headlights courtesy of Kelvin. But I feel like they could be aimed higher. I'm going to post a pic soon. It's fine where there are lamp posts, but not that great on dark roads

greffer31
12-06-2013, 12:55 PM
If you actually need to remove the housings to adjust the lights (not sure) then you would have to take off the bumper

ya I havent been able to find anything if its possible to adjust with them installed. I think i'm gonna take off the bumper tonight and look into it. will keep posted

greyseason
12-06-2013, 05:24 PM
I want to reaim mine but am never near a good wall. Maybe the dealership could do it?

Mitchell3
12-08-2013, 11:45 AM
I want to reaim mine but am never near a good wall. Maybe the dealership could do it?

Maybe. If all dealerships are like Guelph City they wont touch them because they aren't factory. Years ago I tried to have them look at mine when I only replaced the bulbs and he tried to send me on a guilt trip for not going factory like I made this big mistake.. He later apologized but still they wouldn't do anything about it. Maybe there was a legitimate reason but he couldn't explain it worth a damn. I always say Forbes is your best bet locally.

greyseason
12-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Maybe. If all dealerships are like Guelph City they wont touch them because they aren't factory. Years ago I tried to have them look at mine when I only replaced the bulbs and he tried to send me on a guilt trip for not going factory like I made this big mistake.. He later apologized but still they wouldn't do anything about it. Maybe there was a legitimate reason but he couldn't explain it worth a damn. I always say Forbes is your best bet locally.

im going in on the 18th to get my tmm replaced to see if it will fix that noise ive been having.Ill try and remember to ask them