PDA

View Full Version : Turbo?

ksukh
01-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Besides the Mazdaspeed 3.....is there anyone on this forum who has attempted this on there 3??? Just curious that's all.....is it even possible to do this on the 3? To all who went to the mini-meet...and saw my buddy's turbo'd optra...that was all custom work done in mississauga. I'm curious if there is some kind of kit for the 3...

Ken

MPS
01-19-2007, 09:10 PM
http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/product_info.php?cPath=22_71&products_id=121

Besides the Mazdaspeed 3.....is there anyone on this forum who has attempted this on there 3??? Just curious that's all.....is it even possible to do this on the 3? To all who went to the mini-meet...and saw my buddy's turbo'd optra...that was all custom work done in mississauga. I'm curious if there is some kind of kit for the 3...

Ken

PlatMS6
01-19-2007, 09:14 PM

Ken

I don't think anyone attempted it on here but from what I've seen...the transmission is the weakest link... some are on their 3rd

Its just not worth it to modify cars to that extreme unless you have money and time to burn....just go out and buy a MS3...if you can't afford it, then most likely you won't be able to afford fixing/replacing parts when you get your kit in (unless you do every single thing yourself which means lots of time in the garage... )

3GFX
01-20-2007, 10:37 AM
There are two current kits and possibly a third on the way. As PlatMS6 said, the transmission is the weekest link. Do some research and see what you're into. The kits cost $3500+ US which is half of what your buddy spent. But with install your getting up to 5 or 6 grand yourself.

If you really want to go the way of your turbo on your non MS3 then look into downsizing the turbo to output less pressure.

If you browse the M3F forums, there are many normally aspirated options for the Mazda 3. They have even divied up 'NA-Stages' in the engine modifactions section.

One of our sponsers is also looking up camshafts for the 3. You have many options, it depends on what you want to do and what you want to spend. It might even be cheaper to just lift a MS3 drivetrain into a stock 3. Just hang around the junk yard for a few years ;)

Wild Weasel
01-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Well how much boost can the car take before things start getting questionable? I gotta disagree on the comment that it's not worth doing. Adding boost doesn't have to be extreme. Look at my car as an example. I'm only running around 8 lbs or so of boost, which makes the car into an entirely different animal than stock, but isn't going to put it in the shop every couple months for repairs.

I'd never discourage someone from modifying their car. Just do your research and ensure you know what you're getting into before you do it. If you know the transmission is gonna blow up if you push 10 psi, then push 7 and start saving for upgraded tranny parts...

CoolColombian
01-21-2007, 01:06 PM
You are right Weasel, the 3 can be safely boost up to 8 lbs and kept as a daily driven vehicle, when you boost up to 10 lbs every day then you are gonna start having problem with the tranny and over 12 lbs you'll probably blown the engine in a couple runs. So if any one want to hi boost you better get internals first.

There is people in the US boosting 7 - 8 lbs of boost for more than a year and the cars make 250 - 270 WHP depending on the turbo application you are using.

This being said I think that the 3 is a very reliable car for turbo aplications compare to other cars, if you keep your boost at the safe level (8 lbs max) you'll be boosting without problems for a couple years, the problem is; once you are boosting your car, you always want more and more power. Its up to every one.

ksukh
01-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Great info guys,
Thanks again. I was just curious that's all....i'm not very interested in turbo'ing as it costs alot and there is a crap load of work that needs to be done as you guys said. That engine swap with the MS 3 would be quite interesting.....

Ken

active3s
02-06-2007, 08:05 PM
who knows about them in regards to parts list:
Like this
HASS Mazda 3 Turbo Kits Include:
- Garrett GT28R Dual BB Turbo
- HASS SS Turbo Manifold
- 3" Mandrel Bent Downpipe
- Pre-Programmed GReddy eManage
- eManage Harness
- (4) Drop-In 480cc Injectors
- 2"-2.5" Lightweight Intercooler Piping
- Factory Porsche 911 Twin Turbo BOV
- 6.5"x27"x3.5" Front Mount IC
- VDO 30PSI Boost Gauge
- Stainless Braided Oil/Water Feed Lines
- Stainless Braided Oil/Water Return Lines
- 4 Ply Nomex Intercooler Couplers
- T-Bolt Clamps
- All Hardware & Fittings for Install

* Downpipe will match up to factory exhaust

Now I know the pic says that its for a mazda6. But TURBOKITS say that its the same because of the MZR Eng. Just a few other items get exchange from the 3 and the 6. Also I found out that is pretty reliable as longest you dong go over 8psi. Other wise you will have overspeed.
http://www.turbokits.com/images/mazda3_turbo_kit.jpg
Also to compensate on having all that power to one wheel. I heard of LSD xmission from consworth for the 3. Any body heard of this?I really dont see of getting a MS3 as an option for upgrade. No offense to you HB owners. But HBs are not in my liking. Always loved the sedans appearance more than the HB.

3GFX
02-06-2007, 08:08 PM
I'll tell you one thing, don't use a factory cataltic converter or exhaust, you'll burn a hole straight through it!

active3s
02-06-2007, 08:17 PM
will a Vibrant Hi-Flow Cat with SS Power Cat-Back would do?

3GFX
02-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Those would hold. :) As for the cosworth parts, I don't know much other than than cosworth makes some spectacular motors, so I would trust their parts. I'd look into beefing up the tranny if you were to turbocharge the 3, despite everyone saying 8psi is not to much. In the end its your discretion. Go check the M3F turbocharging forum for some more answers:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?board=963.0

active3s
02-06-2007, 08:33 PM
You guys always on it. Thanks
Oh yeah, whats the GT GFX compared to in the US,
I, S, SP23, S Touring, S GT, SP23 GT?

3GFX
02-06-2007, 08:39 PM
S is usually associated to the GT, as for SP23 I though that was the same as the S/GT for certain markets such as Australia. Either way you're looking at it the S, SP23 and GT/GFX are the same car, they all have the 2.3 with only minor option variation.