PDA

View Full Version : Vibrant Header and Injen CAI Installed but....

pahecko
02-23-2007, 06:44 PM
... it's L O U D. I knew it would get louder, but this is crazy. Well I might be reaching with "crazy" but for coming home and 5 am, it's pretty loud.

The tone is amazing though and what I was looking for.

Though sadly, my o2 sensor is a goner. We had trouble getting the sensor out of the oe header, when we finally did, the treading was stripped. So now my 3 is idling at almost 500rpm and seems a bit sluggish. Sensor will be here on monday.

I have a 2 questions about lowering the volume. What's involved in installing a resonator? I'm assuming they've got to cut and weld (which makes me weary of that option.)

and 2, what options do we have as silencers go? Any brands have adjustable damping and what about the "installation"?

One more thing, anyone else with vibrant header/cat-back find it much louder then just the cat-back or is it just me??

cyberscorpi0
02-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Congratulations on the Header-Catback combo!

In regards to the "resonator", I think they will cut it in the middle to get it installed.

My Civic was really loud when I got a new muffler and I was forced to install a resonator.

pahecko
02-23-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm hoping to get it back to the close level was at with just the cat-back, I don't really feel like cutting up my relatively new exhaust. I'll probably try a silencer first and see how that goes. I'll post my impression on it.

Just when I thought I was done shopping!

cyberscorpi0
02-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Just when I thought I was done shopping!

You can never say "Done Shopping" Bro, there's always something next in line. ;)

Kevin@nextmod
02-23-2007, 11:24 PM
I believe there are no silencers available for the Vibrant cat back as there is no where on the tip to install it.
correct me if i'm wrong.

b
02-24-2007, 03:00 AM
I haven't seen one from Vibrant and there isn't one listed in the 2006 or 2007 booklets they have sent me. Unless I just missed it...

pahecko
02-24-2007, 06:19 AM
I found a Vibrant silencer though not on their site and doesn't seem to be for the streetpower series. Also don't know how reliable this source is.

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/VIB1182.htm

bubba1983
02-24-2007, 11:36 AM
... it's L O U D. I knew it would get louder, but this is crazy. Well I might be reaching with "crazy" but for coming home and 5 am, it's pretty loud.

The tone is amazing though and what I was looking for.

Though sadly, my o2 sensor is a goner. We had trouble getting the sensor out of the oe header, when we finally did, the treading was stripped. So now my 3 is idling at almost 500rpm and seems a bit sluggish. Sensor will be here on monday.

I have a 2 questions about lowering the volume. What's involved in installing a resonator? I'm assuming they've got to cut and weld (which makes me weary of that option.)

and 2, what options do we have as silencers go? Any brands have adjustable damping and what about the "installation"?

One more thing, anyone else with vibrant header/cat-back find it much louder then just the cat-back or is it just me??

vibrant header/cat back owner here now for a year and 3 months or so,
it does get louder, and more raspier, it does quiet down after its broken in a bit, the same as your exhaust did.

wtom
02-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Just take a nice long weekend drive in the country-side for a few hours. You'll adjust to the I/H/E ... and don't forget to be totally off the gas when you're passing by cops!

Wild Weasel
02-26-2007, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't be too wary about cutting it to put in a resonator, if that's what you decide to do.

I mean... that's how exhausts are made. They're welded together and a good shop will do a good job of it. You're not breaking it or ruining it or anything by cutting into it.

On that note though... is there a space below the car to fit in a resonator?

wtom
02-26-2007, 02:38 PM

Yes

pahecko
02-27-2007, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't be too wary about cutting it to put in a resonator, if that's what you decide to do.

I mean... that's how exhausts are made. They're welded together and a good shop will do a good job of it. You're not breaking it or ruining it or anything by cutting into it.

I suppose it's just a matter of how long of a resonator you get. Vibrant has a 12" and 18".

As for the sound, i've gotten use to it :) It does sound a bit too raspy on under 3K, i'm thinking it might be related to the air-fuel mix (lack of o2 sensor) and once my baby's warmed up, she idles at 600 and engine vibration is quite noticeable. Again, maybe burning to rich will cause this? Or is that just the due to the CAI?

EDIT: Now I've got it sorted out. First thing that threw me off was being told the the CEL would come on even with the o2 sensor hooked up. I remember reading something about the relocation kit that comes with the vibrant header, so i didn't get why the CEL would come on. So off some researching, finally my answer: 2 sensor. lol. yea i didn't know. I thought everyone was talking about the primary sensor! Anyways, wanted to post this explanation from m3f by lc:

"Just to make sure no one get's confused, there are two seperate O2 sensors we are talking about here. For simplicity sake, the first one is what the ECU used to make sure the engine is running good. We leave that one alone. The second one is really only for emissions - it's making sure the pre-cat is doing its job by looking for a difference between the readings. All of our aftermarket headers remove the pre-cat (because it’s an exhaust restriction and hence robs power). This means there's no difference between the two O2 sensors readings anymore and the ECU thinks the cat has gone bad throwing a CEL code. Now this code won’t cause the car to act funny at all (but a code/problem from the 1st O2 sensor will). To get around the CEL light being triggered by the 2nd sensor we move the 2nd O2 sensor further away from the direct exhaust flow using the anti-foulers so that it will read differently enough to fool the ECU that the pre-cat is still there. Another way is to move the sensor behind the secondary cat (which Crazyfast did) to achive the same effect. "

Here's the thread I got it from http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=68658.0

pahecko
03-06-2007, 06:27 AM
Just thought I'd give everyone an update:

Joe was kind enough to hook me up with a much needed o2 sensor which helped but something still seemed wrong. engine cabin vibration was still higher then I suspect and performance wasn't also lower then expected. Timing seemed off, so i popped the hood to give it a listen, took off the engine cover and what do I see? *cue horror music* A disconnected spark wire! WTF!

Well now it runs smooth, isn't nearly as loud (or it seems), little to no vibration and, oh the power!

Moral of the story: When in doubt, check your spark plugs!

FLIPDADY
03-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Good to hear Kev. I talked to Sherman and he was a bit baffled b/c the O'2 sensors for the 06 models are different from previous years. The NGK one he ordered was listed as 04-05 2.3 models. The main difference was the connector on your sensor had 5 pins while the 04-05 models have a 4 pin connector.

chu
03-07-2007, 02:11 AM
hey kevin so have u fix the CEL? and damn yr car is really LOUD man lol. but anyways sounds awsome thou.

pahecko
03-07-2007, 05:28 AM
hey kevin so have u fix the CEL? and damn yr car is really LOUD man lol. but anyways sounds awsome thou.

It's not as loud anymore or maybe it is, but it sure as hell is smother. As for the cel, I'm going to put a spacer on the secondary sensor, that should work. I'll let you know friday.

Thanks for the sensor Joe. Still only getting around 50km per quater (was getting 400km a tank), hopefully the millage will get better.

azn_outlaw
03-07-2007, 10:23 AM
The main reason why your car is so loud is lack of a resonator...

hence why you are also getting a bit of a raspy noise...

the longer the resonator, the deeper the tone and the more quiet your exhaust will be..

I would highly recommend one, and any good muffler shop around your area can install one cleanly, and the resonator does not affect performance but more the tone of the exhaust

pahecko
03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
The main reason why your car is so loud is lack of a resonator...

hence why you are also getting a bit of a raspy noise...

the longer the resonator, the deeper the tone and the more quiet your exhaust will be..

I would highly recommend one, and any good muffler shop around your area can install one cleanly, and the resonator does not affect performance but more the tone of the exhaust

Actually, I'm likely where it is now. Before it was to raspy due a disconnected spark plug. Now it's nice an smooth. But thanks for the info. I didn't know know a resonator change the tone, just the volume.

chu
03-09-2007, 12:01 AM
It's not as loud anymore or maybe it is, but it sure as hell is smother. As for the cel, I'm going to put a spacer on the secondary sensor, that should work. I'll let you know friday.

Thanks for the sensor Joe. Still only getting around 50km per quater (was getting 400km a tank), hopefully the millage will get better.

Cool man plz keep me post or hit me up on MSN.