PDA

View Full Version : Memorex DVD+R DL (Dual Layer) Blank Discs

JMAK74
03-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Memorex DVD+R DL (Dual Layer) Blank Discs x2.4

Purchased At: Future Shop or Best Buy
Regular Price: 15/pk - $44.99; 25/pk $79.99; 50/pk $129.99
Sale Price: 15/pk - $14.99; 25/pk $39.99/ 50/pk $65.99 (this is based on prices over the last month or so I've seen advertised)

Review/pricing/technology based on what's around to the public as of March 2, 2007

Rating Out of 5: 4.5/5
- the main reason for giving it a 4.5 out of 5 is the Memorex discs can be used over three makers of optical burners (from my experience so far). I also have used Fuji and Philips Dual Layer discs and found they don't work on all of my optical burners (even after firmware updating).

Pros
- 8.5GB storage
- works on my LG, Philips and HP DVD DL Burners
- allows for full, uncompressed back ups of other media
Cons
- Regular price is cost prohibitive, should only buy when on sale
- have not seen a printable version as of yet
- the x2.4 seems slow (however I've burned full discs (7.96GB) in under 20 minutes)

Comments:
The key to maximizing your dollar when buying dual layer discs (regardless of manufacturer) currently is to wait till their on sale/special. Depending, it can work out to around $1.14/disc vs. reg price at around $3.25/disc.

Regarding a printable version, one might say - "Just put a label on it.". I've read that putting labels on dual layers and running it in you DVD player will cause it to fail, as the label will distort the disc such that it will "warp' the disc such that the laser will lose it's spot on the disc and become unreadable.

20 minutes may seem long, however they say for a better data transfer to the disc, to burner at a slower setting than the max speed of your optical burner. Something to also keep in mind - you're burning 8GB of information - that's approximately 11.5 CD's, so quit yer whinning :) that, that's too slow.

Depending on you blank media needs, this may be a bit of overkill, however that is for you to decide.

I figure that given enough time, with the number of dual layer burners coming out (either as OEM/standard in desktops/laptops, internals/externals) and their drop in price along with HD and Blue Ray burners already out, it will only be a matter of time that soon Dual Layer discs will start being at $0.50/disc.

JMAK

Kevin@nextmod
03-02-2007, 11:10 PM
I also just bought a set for burning my xbox 360 games.

eqlso
03-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Man...I should of waited...I bought a 3 pack of Memorex ones for $12 at BB. Argggg!!

MazdaTree
03-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Man...I should of waited...I bought a 3 pack of Memorex ones for $12 at BB. Argggg!!

Prices have really dropped on these dl dvds. Exactly a year ago I bought a 3 pack for close to $20!

These are good for ppl with ALOT of music and a dvdmp3 deck!

S.F.W.
03-03-2007, 01:21 AM
I just picked up two of the 15 packs on sale at FS. For Xox 360 games, and general backup.
Overall, memorex media has always worked well for me.

Chuckie
03-03-2007, 01:25 AM
good price guys.. i would of picked it up if i had a use for them.
co-workers bought some though..

JMAK74
03-03-2007, 02:22 PM
I just picked up two of the 15 packs on sale at FS. For Xox 360 games, and general backup.
Overall, memorex media has always worked well for me.

I picked up one pack. Thinking I may pick up one more.

They seem to go on sale around every two to three weeks, between BB and FS. I'm guessing next week BB will either have the 25 or 50 pk Memorex on sale or the Philps or Fuji.

JMAK

yearoftherat
03-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Have used Memorex in the past and have had the occasional coaster but other than that pretty pleased with them. I wish my burner was faster than 2.4X on dual layer burning:complain

swales
03-05-2007, 08:47 AM
I find the Verbatim disks best for Xbox 360 backups, I've never had a coaster