PDA

View Full Version : Need XM Radio, what to do?

cereal83
03-13-2007, 11:40 PM
Hey all,

Well I just got an 07 Sport GT and I am wanting to hook up xmradio in the car. How would I go about doing that? What xm device would I need to buy? Any help would be great as I am not really sure and the info at most place sucks.

Let me know.

Thanks

P.S. I do have an AUX Port

Xenon
03-14-2007, 12:07 AM
My recommendation:

1) Go with Sirius. Kinda kidding, kind of not. Kidding: XM or Sirius, it's up to you. If you like XM's programming more then by all means get it. Not Kidding: Mazda has an OEM Sirius option, however this is expensive, and you'd have to import it from the US.

2) If you decide to go with an over the counter XM receiver, make sure you pick one up that has a headphone jack. This way you can make use of the AUX port and plug the XM receiver directly into the AUX port instead of going through FM Modulation. Sound quality would be greatly improved if you get one with the headphone jack and make use of it.

3) If you are an audiophile, you may want to consider getting a XM Satellite Radio Ready Car Deck instead of using the factory one. This will allow for a direct hardwire of the satellite radio to the deck. This option will be just as expensive, or cheaper (depending on the deck you get, average $200-$300) than going with the OEM Sirius option, and you will have the option of XM as well. This option, in my opinion, will also yield the highest quality of sound. (See MY Audio project here (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16399). I have Sirius Radio instead of XM.)

For most people in your situation, the over the counter option is probably best. to keep the car clean looking, you may want to find out how to creatively hide all the wires from the reciever (there will be 3: Antenna, Power and Audio going to your AUX jack - the last one can be left out if you FM Transmit, but believe me, the quality difference is very noticable).

I hope this helps! Good Luck!

cereal83
03-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Hey Xenon and thats for a great reply.

The thing is, I have a top of the line Panasonic deck already that is XM Ready, I have been using it since XM radio came to Canada. It already has the in-car encoder or whatever it is that you call it along with the satellite antenna. The thing is I do not want to rip out the stock radio and replace it with what I already have due to the fact I want to keep the radio as stock looking.

I am looking at the 2nd option you posted there as I thought this would be the way to go but wanted to make sure. I am thinking this will be the cheapest and most effective way for me.

If I got something like this from Bestbuy (http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10072261&catid=23640) from or From Futureshop (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10082319&catid=) and plugged it into the aux port, then it would be good enough?

I know the car comes with Sirius but I have had XM for more then a year and I just love channel 81. I haven't heard Sirius other then in the store, but I am sure it's the same type of thing. I think I will just stick with XM though.

Thanks and any other tips are welcome

Xenon
03-14-2007, 02:31 AM
A couple notes I noticed:

The link you have going to Best Buy: From what I can see, I think that radio is a little dated. According to XM's site, they only carry the Delphi units now (XM's website will show you the newest products only). I can check for you at Best Buy to see when that radio came out, and when it may go into the discontinued product pile. You may want to consider this alternative (http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10068542&catid=23640).

The link you have from Future Shop: Based off of XM's website, I think that is a newer unit than the one from Best Buy.

Another option you may have, since you already have the Deck and XM reciever for it, is install the deck somewhere where it will not affect the look of the stock radio. There are people on the forums (if you search for pics I'm sure you'll find them) who have installed the deck in places such as on the dash (above the center air vents) or in the cigarette ashtray area. You may also want to consider this option, since you already have the hardware.

cereal83
03-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the tips again man. i didn't even think of getting an older unit to something that is nice a new. I will keep looking on ebay for a good deal. There seam to be alot of options on there and I should find something to keep me happy.

Thanks alot for your help!

Xenon
03-14-2007, 11:44 PM
Just remember to look at what is the country the unit is coming from. The programming may be different for a US Address than a Canadian one. In addition to that, US units MUST be registered to a US address.

cereal83
03-14-2007, 11:50 PM
I also would not have thought of that. There is a fellow member here I am thinking of buying it from and I will ask him that right now. Thanks again for another great tip!

cereal83
03-15-2007, 12:00 AM
I guess my last question just to confirm once again because I have no clue.

Would Roadyxt (http://www.xmradio.com/roadyxt/index.xmc) work with the Aux port?

I think it would but I do just want to confirm.