PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Exhaust

3GFX
03-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Well I was browsing thread on M3F and came across this. Its an old thread but its still interesting. The offer is a full cat back exhaust for $260US + s/h. That's quite the amazing price. Just thought I'd post it up incase anyone wanted to take a look. The can is a little big but its still nice. I'm not a fan of the exit angle though.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=57535.0

On another note, in the same thread there was a post of this custom exhaust that is 2.25" straight from the primary cat, under the axle. Apparently it was done by a guy buddy club? Either way very nice. I like the video, he's got flames coming out of the back when he backfires. Pretty cool.

You can find his car here: http://www.modmycar.net/ (white hatch)

Video here: http://www.modmycar.net/videos/mvi_4005.avi

chinsterr
03-14-2007, 01:55 PM
grapefruit launcher ... has rice written all over it (IMO)

Kevin@nextmod
03-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Its hanging down too low and its going under the rear axels causing hit and scratch and dent on the exhaust pipe going over speed bumps. Sounds nice but i wouldn't get it.

3GFX
03-14-2007, 01:58 PM
grapefruit launcher ... has rice written all over it (IMO)

Totally agreed, but at that price you could probably replace the muffler with one of your choice.

FLIPDADY
03-14-2007, 02:01 PM
You can get a decent custom exhaust done up here for less than that installed.

3GFX
03-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Really? How much does a custom exhaust run?

Kevin@nextmod
03-14-2007, 02:04 PM
$260 plus shipping? That whole system cost less then my HKS muffler itself!

As for custom work. You can just pick up a magnaflow muffler for $150-$200 and custom pipe it for another $250.

3GFX
03-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Hmmmm I'll investigate that further when exhaust time comes. Probably not any time soon though.

b
03-15-2007, 03:08 AM
Its hanging down too low and its going under the rear axels causing hit and scratch and dent on the exhaust pipe going over speed bumps. Sounds nice but i wouldn't get it.

I agree. I can see that being ripped off when hitting a bump or even something on the road.

3GFX
03-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Did you guys check out the second vid of the straight exhaust? No comments? I thought it was killer, I love the backfire that would be awesome at night. On the track? Reminds me of LeMans cars.

Kevin@nextmod
03-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Its actually bad to have flames coming out of your muffler. I do'nt know the theory behind it but i've seen it on my friends STI modded to the max. His car had huge flames coming out cause of hi boost and not longer later his engine was done.

chinsterr
03-15-2007, 12:00 PM
speaking of cheap exhausts , my vibrant is $400 !!!

3GFX
03-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Its actually bad to have flames coming out of your muffler. I do'nt know the theory behind it but i've seen it on my friends STI modded to the max. His car had huge flames coming out cause of hi boost and not longer later his engine was done.

Its not nececarily bad. For example look at higher performance racing cars, occasionally they have flames exhausting after a shift or while engine braking. Depending on the situation it can be bad. In the case of this mazda 3 he just kept revving the junk out of his motor.

speaking of cheap exhausts , my vibrant is $400 !!!

:TJ

SABIO
03-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Custom exhuast is the way to go. It is always cheaper.

The problem is guys/gals want a Name attached to their muffler and pipes. And it has to be stainless.....

How embarassing is it when you go to a meet and are asked "What kind of exhuast is that?"... and you reply "well..ummm..Pronto Muffler...."

Another problem is everyone goes to a "import shop" or "performance shop" to get work done. Mistake. Just go and find anyone that can throw on a muffler and has a torch... same shit.

Muffler should cost about $75. Some pipe $50. Labour $100. Done.

Example. My 87' Formula. Full True DUAL 3" cat-back cost me $400. (For those youngins' Large V-8's had 2 cats. with exhuast/muffler running down each side)

3GFX
03-26-2007, 01:32 AM
I've gotten a custom exhaust built for my dirt bike, dad helped me out in the end with some welding.

What kind of diameter should I looks into with a custom exhaust?

Can I delete a cat? What kind of muffler should I get?

Can I prevent the angled exit I see, I'm not a fan of that on our cars.

Kevin@nextmod
03-26-2007, 01:43 AM
It depends on what kind of muffler you want and what size you buy. Take a look under your car and see the clearance from the axle to the bumper.
When i bought my HKS muffler i had no idea and didn't do any research on if its going to fit. Got my worried when some of them said it won't fit but then evetually it did. Check out the magnaflows as they have good prices and they sound nice and deep. My HKS was really freakin expensive so i'd stay away if you want to keep the budget down.

garboui
03-27-2007, 10:10 AM

having flames commingg out of your muffler isnt a bad thing per-se. what is bad is that it means that your wasting gas and power. the cams in the car are designed for a naturally aspirated setup. this means that the valves have a certain amount of overlap and are both open for a few degrees just as the exhaust valve is closing and the intake one opening. this is done so that in a n/a engine the momentum of the exhaust gases as well as scavenging effects can creat a bit of low pressure in the cylinder and help pull in fresh charge. ideally the overlap lasts just long enough so that it happens just long enough that very little charge escapes.

what is happening is the since he has the hi boost on the turbo is now ramming air and fuel into the cylinder. and now the overlap is too much because the relative pressures causing the culinder to be filled with fresh charge before the duration of the overlap period even begins to close. now, any more charge that is fed into the cylinder is just wasted untill the exhaust valve fully seats itself. this is why it is important to do cams whenever the method of induction is changed. cams with a shorter overlap period should almost always be installed in moderate to hi boost applications.

one way to get around this is not to get a tuirbo that is too big. the bigger the turbo the better the flow for the exhaust gasses and the more inertia in its pump to keep spinning. instead getting a smaller turbo running it at the same or possibly even less boost pressure than the under run big turbo will generelly give you just as much if not more power. this is because the smaller turbo will create more back pressure on the exhaust and therefore preventing as much charge from being pushed/sucked out of the cylinder durring the stock overlap period. obviously this allows more pressure to be built in the cylinder as well as saving considerable amounts of fuel.(esp. is the charge is getting to the end of the tail pipe)