PDA

View Full Version : EBC Green stuff pads (Just installed and they are noisy) HELP!??!

andrew-gg
03-15-2007, 12:46 PM
I just installed a set of OEM rotors and EBC green stuff brake pads all the way around. I installed them right I think but they are making A LOT of noise when braking. I cleaned the rotors, made sure I didn't get any slider grease on the pads etc...Could I have missed something in the install? Are there shims that go behind the pads that I should have installed?

Any help would be great!!!!!

MajesticBlueNTO
03-15-2007, 01:00 PM
anti-squeal applied to the back of the pads?

where they bed-in properly?

PlatMS6
03-15-2007, 01:02 PM
You double posted... but anyways,

I had them installed on on my 3 when I had it on the rears, and sounded like a SEMI for 2+ weeks and lots of kms on the odo. It did not get better, well it did if you got them super hot, but after 5 mins of regular driving they would be loud as hell again.

I called EBC and yes there are shims for the Mazda3, and I think it was several weeks for shipping, plus no money back to you for having to go get them re-installed. When asked why they don't include the shims with the package, they simply said it is a problem on a small percentage of installs...after that I pretty much told them to go to hell.

Also those pads didn't reduce brake dust at all, it was worse!

If you can somehow return those even with a huge restocking fee i'd do it and get HAWK.

andrew-gg
03-15-2007, 01:49 PM
anti-squeal applied to the back of the pads?

where they bed-in properly?

Yes and I think so, I have put on about 600KM and its still loud!

fourtrack78
03-15-2007, 02:27 PM
It could be the OEM rotors

andrew-gg
03-15-2007, 03:24 PM
It could be the OEM rotors

I don't think its the rotors, they are brand new mazda OEM rotors. I have used OEM rotors with hawk pads before and never had any problems.

Flagrum_3
03-15-2007, 05:45 PM
So why did you change to EBC pads?? Hawk for what i've been hearing are the ones to get.

Oh by the way, if the noise persists you could try one thing, not guaranteed to work but, ... take your pads off and with some emery cloth score the pads end to end and also run the emery cloth along the rotors in a criss-cross fashion (semi-lightly in both cases)....it might just work!

_3

chinsterr
03-17-2007, 01:12 AM
EBC green stuff are ceramic breaks (i believe), which means that they will make noise whenever they are cold. Once they heat up they should be ok. I have EBC green installed (as of today) and i do admit they are noisy for the first 5 min of driving, but the noise does die down.

However, i noticed a "whistle" noise coming from the brake area when im driving (not applying the breaks). Any idea what this could be ?

billyfo
03-17-2007, 05:47 AM
I have EBC @rear and Hawk @ front w/aftermarket rotors, I found out Hawk were noisier than EBC, but after 4mths usage, now seems quieter.