PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question Warning

imthatguy
03-29-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm very new to the whole after market thing and just need some advice regarding suspension.

Is it at all a bad thing to just upgrade to lowering springs, such as a sport eibach kit, without upgrading the shocks? Will the OEM's fail under these adjusted conditions? Also, regarding these sort of changes, obviously I'd have to replace the originals when I take the car back at the end of lease, but does it void any warranties?

Thanks for your input!

S.F.W.
03-29-2007, 02:59 PM
my first suggestion would be to try our search feature. using this feature, I found a couple thread directly related to your question
1)http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16281&highlight=lease+warranty
2)http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16162&highlight=pro+kit+stock+shocks
3)http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16743&highlight=pro+kit+stock+shocks

hope this helps.

imthatguy
03-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Apologies, I always forget to do simple things like a search. Thanks for providing some links, that should get me started!

cereal83
03-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Good links there but alot of assumptions when reading those posts. People aren't sure if stock shocks is still ok to use. I would say no and the only reason why you would use stock shocks is because you can't afford new ones

Flagrum_3
03-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Good links there but alot of assumptions when reading those posts. People aren't sure if stock shocks is still ok to use. I would say no and the only reason why you would use stock shocks is because you can't afford new ones

It is not an assumption that the stock shocks are OK to use after installing lowering springs, they will work just fine, although they will be comprimised slightly as they will have not been dampened for the different ride height, therefore, possibly or (most likely) shortening the life-span of the shocks...So when lowering a vehicle and thinking shocks...although cost is an issue, it is not one that you must worry about immediately, but one must start to bugdet for the inevidible early failure and future installation of appropriate shocks.

_3

wingnut12
03-29-2007, 10:13 PM
I've been advised that as far as the warranty goes, you'd void the warranty on the springs that you're removing so you won't care. I also found out that the stock dampers won't last as long as will performance ones will after you lower it, but for the most part, they'll work just fine until they fail.

I personally didn't like how bouncy the car was with springs, but stock dampers, so I replaced them which made a huge difference (to me) in ride feel. That said, most people never bother to upgrade the dampers, and are quite happy going that way.

jaym3
03-30-2007, 02:24 AM
i put on s techs on my car with stock dampeners with about 5 months and when changed back to stock springs in the winter, i noticed the shocks became must weaker and my car bounced alot on bumps...so i decided to switch to tein basics, love the stiffness of the suspension. i kinda wished i got coilovers from the start. thats my opinion, just helping u out with yours.

Wild Weasel
03-30-2007, 07:55 AM
If the car is bouncy, that means the dampers aren't doing their job. They're either shot or just can't handle the higher spring rates.

That means your suspension doesn't work properly and, depending on how severe it is, it can be downright dangerous.

The suspension is a rather important aspect of the car to be doing it half-assed. ;) Just some info to keep in mind.

imthatguy
03-30-2007, 02:30 PM
It sounds like I'll just keep it stock for the first little while. I appreciate all the feedback, but stock sounds like the right thing to do with a car that I'm "borrowing".

MAZDA Kitten
03-30-2007, 05:09 PM
FYI

I've had my Stechs on stock shocks for like 70,000km and they are still good
Im starting to notice a little more bounce than I remember but I think they served me well and I guess soon I will be replacing the shocks or switching to coilovers

Mind you; at the time when I did my springs there was very LIMITED options for shocks and were very $$$$$$

Fuman
03-31-2007, 11:01 PM
FYI

I've had my Stechs on stock shocks for like 70,000km and they are still good
Im starting to notice a little more bounce than I remember but I think they served me well and I guess soon I will be replacing the shocks or switching to coilovers

Mind you; at the time when I did my springs there was very LIMITED options for shocks and were very $$$$$$
with the mods you have on you're car, even if they weren't $$, you probably would of spent it on some other mod =p you modaholic.