PDA

View Full Version : cutting springs

-TEXAS2LO-
04-01-2007, 11:05 PM
ok i know all you guys are going to yak about it but this is the reality.

I have a sedan and I am runnin' TEIN S-techs.
I always had coilovers in my life but now I bought a condo with the g/f and I cannot buy coilovers.

I use to have a couple of civics before, and always runned on chopped springs.

My question is :

the freaking drop in the front is amazing -- 2 inches ... dont wanna touch.

the rear is only 1.5 and I'm sick of this shit.
All I want is to cut 1 dead coil ..

Tell me this won't affect nothing.
It's a dead coil .. all springs have dead coils. and it's the rear too ..

or second option : I buy sportlines .. I run them in the back and I keep my TEIN in the front.

b
04-01-2007, 11:11 PM
I would opt for sportlines. Cutting springs... mmm... I wouldn't do it...

-TEXAS2LO-
04-01-2007, 11:13 PM
I would opt for sportlines. Cutting springs... mmm... I wouldn't do it...

sportlines are 1.8 all around ... I saw my buddies front and its higher then mine .. I would only take the 2 rear ones ...

but they have diff. spring rate .. I dont know man ..
im going bananas :bana2

chinsterr
04-01-2007, 11:17 PM
ya, i wouldnt recommend cutting them either.

Sportlines will give you an even drop all around, if thats what your looking for.

But it cost is an issue, just stick with the S-techs .. better safe than sorry (even if they are dead coils). I could do the physics behind it to prove why you should cut them but just trust me on it...

3GFX
04-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Don't cut, never cut. Definitly look into the progress rear springs. With your pedegree I'd suggest to just move to a coilover setup.

midnightfxgt
04-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Cutting is ghetto, stupid, and unsafe.

If you can;t afford it, don;t do it. Why would you make your car unsafe, just so it looks a little better?

DrunknFoo
04-02-2007, 02:48 AM
Ya, save up for a new set of springs, I have the similar problem with my H-techs and I'm saving up to get some springs and shocks later on.

Another alternative would be to get a heavy arse sub and throw it in the trunk. It would help with the drop slightly. lol

Skarbro
04-02-2007, 05:37 AM
Cut springs = stupid. Don't do it. Save your money for some new springs.

bubba1983
04-02-2007, 05:42 AM
figures, your comin from the honda crowd!
dont ever cut your springs....

azn_outlaw
04-02-2007, 08:28 AM
hahahaha typical statement about Honda owners...

I had a honda, cut one dead coil off my old Tein S.tech, but only would recommend doing it if you have aftermarket shocks....

its only dumb if you cut more the one damn coil....and to be honest the car ride quality was a bit stiffer but not to the point where I cant stand it....thank the aftermarket shocks for that.

and to those who think cutting springs is dumb...well in a sense its not dumb..

did you know that cutting springs is the norm in the domestic cars and trucks...some aftermarket springs can be or are cut to get the desired height...

but the real reason, with each coil cut you increase the stiffness of the spring...road race cars is another example as well...oldskool method from back in the day

In all honesty just wait for the car to settle, maybe you will get a bit lower..

MidnightSpeed
04-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Do the Sportlines, be a hero.

azn_outlaw
04-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Actually the cheaper alternative but still the same quality

which we have yet to see an example or picture of..

Canuck Motorsports...

I know the Vancouver board reps dem springs up large !

MidnightSpeed
04-02-2007, 09:01 AM
^+1, I see a lot of Vancouverites whorin those out. They are only what - 180 bucks?

-TEXAS2LO-
04-02-2007, 09:19 AM
I guess I'll just wait 2 weeks and buy coilovers ...

3GFX
04-02-2007, 10:22 AM
I guess I'll just wait 2 weeks and buy coilovers ...

There's a good man. Go with the Tein in-car adjustable setup of you can. You won't regret that. Adjustability on the fly depending on the road your on. Awesome. :bana2

-TEXAS2LO-
04-02-2007, 11:04 AM
I had TEIN SS coilovers on my prelude and I found it was just too much ... I didnt need all that damper ajustments and shit ..

Basics will do the job this time !

midnightfxgt
04-02-2007, 11:52 PM
and to those who think cutting springs is dumb...well in a sense its not dumb..

Doing things half assed, and in an unsafe manner is dumb to me :) Just Playin man, but in all seriousness, it isnt the best idea. You are changing a spring rate... do you know what your changing it to? Do you know the adverse affects of this new rate? Springs are cheap enough these days. Plus cutting your coils, and trying to get that 3" drop is going to chew threw shocks in NO time flat.:bana

-John

JPAV8S4U
04-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Hey man.. I am somewhat in the same boat buddy. I have a MS setup all the way around including the MS camber kit in the rear. My front drop is plenty ;)... but my arse is sticking up a little too high for my liking.... I have a few options here....

1. The most expensive option MS Coilovers...... (Im sure flippy will recommend this one for obvious reasons ;) ) lol

2. Buying sportlines for the rear......(thats right.. only using two of them)

3. Removing the rear MS camber kit and putting back on the stock one.... as this should reduce the height about .5" and would make things even.....

Im my view, my first thing will be to remove the rear camber link and swap it with the old stock one.... This is simple and wont cost me much to do... If this doesnt work, Ill probably be going to the MS Coilover setup.... Im very happy with the ride and would hate to spend 1500 ish on a coilover setup... But having the arse up high is bothering me.... Our cars already have a high sitting bumper that doesnt go low enough in my opinion...... I think Mazda should have added a skirt to the rear bumper with the GFX package :) Oh well!

Mazda-Baaa
04-03-2007, 12:49 AM
Don't chop the springs man. I'm an ex-honda owner too and I like it low too. But I'm loving the drop on my sportlines. I would say get those or coilovers. Chopping springs will lead to problems sooner or later and I hate to see unnecessary problems happen.

azn_outlaw
04-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Just remember the alternative to the Eibach sportlines....

at a fraction of the cost...

would be the Cannuck Motorsport springs,

they have the same 1.8 front and rear drop..

hummm anyone want to venture to the Vancouver forum and maybe the can provide us with pictures...

MicroDude
04-03-2007, 10:22 AM
texas! tomorrow at the meet check out mazdaboy car he's on Cannucks motor sport spring.. it's a real nice drop.. 1.75 all round..

chinsterr
04-03-2007, 10:48 AM
I've heard that Cannuck Motorsport springs sag, i think this was on M3F ..dont remember.

But they do have a nice drop .

-TEXAS2LO-
04-03-2007, 01:02 PM
I wont change my 2 inch front drop with TEIN'S ...
none of the reg. springs so 2 inch.

MazdaTree
04-03-2007, 04:01 PM
is it safe to teins s tech in front and sportslines in the back?
or would the car bounce every where because of the different spring rates?

As much as I had the back gap on my car (with the stech without the ms camber kit) It's already so hard to find an 18 to fit...

Plus I have the MS Camber kit waiting to be installed for about 2 yeears now LOL!

azn_outlaw
04-03-2007, 10:11 PM
I wonder why you cant Fit 18's Andrew?

just keep riding with out the camber kit, cause that will really hurt you fitting rims....

its all about the right offset and size of tires....

the higher the better with our the mazda3...

all though I do wish, we can run really low offsets to run deep dish....

MazdaTree
04-03-2007, 11:49 PM
I wonder why you cant Fit 18's Andrew?

just keep riding with out the camber kit, cause that will really hurt you fitting rims....

its all about the right offset and size of tires....

the higher the better with our the mazda3...

all though I do wish, we can run really low offsets to run deep dish....

I can fit 18s, it's just hard finding nice rims with a high offset :(

I'll mess around with the camber kit after gettin the rims and see how that goes...

ArManI
04-04-2007, 01:36 AM
texas u got some contacts for a good deal on tein's basic coilover?
up to now, the best i found is from madqc around $1180