PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Question on ICE

wardgroup
04-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Just wanted to know a few things...

I'm doing some research into the market as id really like to get into ICE Applications for cars custom and for apps like trucks cabs etc but more so for custom...

id really appreciate your honest opinion...thanks guys

1) Do you already own some sort of AutoPC type Appliance?

2) If you don't have anything like this in your car what deters you from installing it in your ride? (Cost, Functionality etc)

3) Would you replace your stock deck for a total automated in dash solution?
(Ex instead of custom or stock deck you'd see just a screen controlling your whole in car experience?)

Im really looking for anything that i have missed in considering putting something really new and unique out there...Im going to be working with Select Sound to do this...so my car is my first project and i also have a Civic which will be on show this summer which the owner is really excited to have this running in his car...

Thanks guys for your responses

K

TheProfessor
04-04-2007, 10:00 AM
1) No
2) Cost, integration with factory head unit and controls, etc.
3) No, I like the look of the factory head unit and do not wish to replace it or the controls with aftermarket equipment. If the unit could somehow be concealed when not in use so as to avoid unnecessary attention I would give it more consideration. The system would have to work flawlessly though, and be completely reversable as I tend to switch cars often.

wardgroup
04-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Good Points - thanks

S.F.W.
04-04-2007, 10:10 AM
1) I have replaced my stock head unit with an in dash solution. This solution does GPS, DVD's, has a media library, connects to my cell phone, and ipod.

2) NA

3) That's almost what I have done. If my deck could also control my climate settings, that would be even better.

TheProfessor
04-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Another thing to consider is the ability to add-on and upgrade. Each client will want different things from it, some will just want a basic media type PC where they can load and play gigs worth of MP3's whereas others would want the ability to control multiple screens, video game systems, dvd players, etc.

3GFX
04-04-2007, 10:22 AM
1) No but I've been thinking about it.

2) It getting stolen. Price is important but it adds up quite, I'd have to get an aftermarket alarm system then the system and install, so from 1200 - 2000 dollars. I also love the look of the stock deck. I've added a aux USB so I can listen to Mp3s out of the stock deck which is cool.

3) I think i'd keep the stock deck and just get a seperate screen, pretty much keep it stock, but as if it originally came with navi. Although I am a big fan of the in dash screen setup.

Broli
04-04-2007, 01:19 PM
1. have a carpc
2. n/a - but i think cost is a big issue, clean instal, look stock, or at least like it should be there, vulnerability to theft.
3. with the pc, i can watch movies, videos, play music, hell, if i get a wireless card i can check email in hotspots, or the forum, lol, theoretically voice control is a future option, gps is a snap, i can even have differential setup between my front and rear screens,

for me, i think, stockishness, is the most important, it bothers me sometimes that my install is not perfect

wardgroup
04-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Is there anyone interested who doesn't have a auto pc interested in getting one installed in their rides for cost? your install will be done by Select Sound who i have connected with to be the only shop to install my stuff...

im not trying to sell systems to you guys but i am looking to build up install cases for the website im working on for the product...hence why i wont make anything giving them away at cost...

K

Broli
04-04-2007, 02:14 PM
perhaps when u get urs installed, u can give people and estimate on cost and how it looks, and maybe u will get some takers.

it would be cool if u can offer some personaliztion touches in the install!!

3GFX
04-04-2007, 02:22 PM
I might be interested down the road. But like Broli said, I'd like to see it, distinguish problems and then find out the cost.